CanalPlanAC problems on IE8

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

Sorry to repeat myself but I have had customers with similar issues in the past and they have very often been due to a toolbar or similar add-on.

If you haven't already then I would recomend you uninstall all toolbars, reset IE8 and re-install java as mentioned earlier in the thread, I would also consider disable any virus protection temporarily to see if it is causing a problem.

Other than that I am out of ideas at the moment :lol:

Gary

Sorry to repeat myself but I have had customers with similar issues in the past and they have very often been due to a toolbar or similar add-on.

If you haven't already then I would recomend you uninstall all toolbars, reset IE8 and re-install java as mentioned earlier in the thread, I would also consider disable any virus protection temporarily to see if it is causing a problem.

Other than that I am out of ideas at the moment :lol:

Gary

Thanks Gary.

Yes I tried all that and it made absolutely no difference at all. So I'm out of ideas too - except to install a different browser such as Chrome, and use that for some sites and IE for some others that I need IE for.

Thanks Gary.

Yes I tried all that and it made absolutely no difference at all. So I'm out of ideas too - except to install a different browser such as Chrome, and use that for some sites and IE for some others that I need IE for.

As a Chrome user, I'm finding the number of sites that need IE for to be very small indeed. In fact I can't remember when I last found one.

Richard

I have xp & ie8, just tried canalplan.org.uk and it is fine for me (I even calculated a route). Keeping Up may have spotted the problem with his knowledge that the site uses java, there was a java update recently which is why I suggested removal and re-installation of it.

Gary

Canalplan relies on Javascript, not Java. Internet Explorer's version of Javascript has problems that other browsers Javascript engines don't (for example I had to recode a block of code for a Wordpress plugin just to get it to work on IE when it worked fine on every other browser I could lay my hands on)

I'll try to reproduce the error myself (I don't usually use Vista and IE8 because Vista takes about 2-3 minutes to boot up compared to 51 Seconds for Linux) and work with Nick, when he comes back off holiday, and see if we can work out what the problem is, but as he's said its a problem that isn't unique to Canalplan and its IE barfing out on the site and not the other way round.

Steve

Edited to add: Some digging round suggests that the "Adobe PDF Link Helper" plugin thingy seems to be behind a lot of these sort of errors.

Also to check if it is an extension causing the problem start ie from command line using iexplore -extoff

Finally : MS provide the following utility to debug IE issues like this:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_start

Edited by StephenA

• 2 weeks later...

Nick (who is having problems logging on) asks can people who were suffering problems to try it again. I've not been able to reproduce the error at all but I guess he must have found something.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Nick (who is having problems logging on) asks can people who were suffering problems to try it again. I've not been able to reproduce the error at all but I guess he must have found something.

Steve

Sorry I've not been able to try it until now - but yes he must have found something because it seems to work just fine now on IE8.

Until recently CanalPlanAc was working fine for me. Recently it stopped working - when I go to the home page, I get thrown out with an error message that the page has caused Internet Explorer to stop working. I'm using IE8 on XP.

Are other people who are using IE8 having this problem, or is it just me?

After reading this thread, I've only just realised that I've always been using the older http://www2.mihalis.net/canal/cgi-bin/index.cgi with no problems at all. Only after reading this thread did I try the newer version. I'm using Firefox on Windows XP pro, and it hangs every time... I even have to resort to manually shutting Firefox off from the Windows Task Manager - something's not quite right...

Edited by Pete of Ebor

I'm using Firefox with Vista, and CanalPlan has STOPPED working for me, Monday night I think.

Anyone else with the same problem?

Yes on canalplan.eu: Syntax error in 663 of /webstuff/canalplan/cgi-bin/canal.can

link file

Place '' not known

I'm using Firefox with Vista, and CanalPlan has STOPPED working for me, Monday night I think.

I've been getting this error today....

ERROR

Unfortunately an error has occurred that has prevented CanalPlanAC from continuing. This has been reported to the site maintainer

The error is as follows:

Error: Syntax error in 663 of /webstuff/canalplan/cgi-bin/canal.can

link file

Place '' not known

That's on the canalplan.org.uk version. I was still able to use the mihalis.net version.

Its a bug - probably caused by something wrong in the data. Nick is not round at the moment but I'm sure as soon as he gets home he'll look at it.

It's very useful to click on the "bugs and ideas" link and see what's going on. Nick said "Pete's diagnosed it. I've manually removed the offending item from the database and will put a lot of effort into working out how it got created" 10 hours ago.