Ghost stories and other sinister antics

Bones

Featured Posts

I was wondering whether anyone knew of any resources/information about death mayhem and strange facts associated with the london waterways? I have heard and read about ghost stories around the country, but none associated with waterways in London.

Some do say that on the night of a full moon, some of the London moorers actually proceed down the Regents or Paddington Arm, and can, if you are very lucky, even be spotted on the main line, beyond Bull's Bridge......

Needless to say, I don't believe ghost stories though. :lol:

I was wondering whether anyone knew of any resources/information about death mayhem and strange facts associated with the london waterways? I have heard and read about ghost stories around the country, but none associated with waterways in London.

The only death & mayhem stories that spring to mind are the Brentford flood of 1841 and the the Regents Park gunpowder barge disaster of 1874.

Tim

http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/history/regents.htm

And interesting to note that when they rebuilt the bridge the cast-iron supports were re-instated rotated 180deg and now look very odd with rope marks on BOTH sides.

i understood that they were on the opposite sides of the canal now to how they were post the "Tilbury" exploding underneath, i may be wrong!!

as for ghosts is Watford outside your "london area" if not then look up Black Jack's Lock and Black Jack himself (although he was most definately alive when he got up to his antics!!) the legend lives on

i understood that they were on the opposite sides of the canal now to how they were post the "Tilbury" exploding underneath, i may be wrong!!

as for ghosts is Watford outside your "london area" if not then look up Black Jack's Lock and Black Jack himself (although he was most definately alive when he got up to his antics!!) the legend lives on

When it was covered on WW they I'm sure refered to them being rotated rather than installed on the opposite side to their original installation - at leat I think that's what they said.

Isn't it also nicknamed 'Blow up bridge'

and come to think of it I think it might have been Locks & Quays rather than WW

Edited by MJG

You've been watching Waterworld on Discovery haven't you -----

Nope. I used to live about 1/2 mile from it! :lol:

Either way, what used to face inward was installed/re-instated/re-built face backwards.

I was told that the road bridge right next to the Kensington canal junction (I think its called Lots bridge?) was the haunt of a ghostly woman, though no-one seemed to know why :lol:

The Kensington lock cottage supposedly had a fairly grumpy ghost who would move things and periodically throw stuff.

In Maida hill tunnel you can apparently hear the cries of the men involved an the accident whilst legging a boat through.

I cant remember anymore off the top of my head :lol:

Guest wanted

If you see a pale,ghostly figure of a lady at around midnight down by Brentford Lock, don't panic, it's just the missus on her way back from the Tap after 6 to many!

Oh and if you do see her, turn her round, she's going the wrong way!

• 13 years later...
8 minutes ago, Boatman Inc said:

In Poplar a boatman was murdered for his pocket watch, it's said that any clocks and analogue watches that go thru/ near Poplar canal are cursed to be broken

Welcome to the forum.

"Poplar canal"? Is there one?