Single Poster Topics

Featured Posts

I suggest that there should be a section where only the original poster can post to a topic, for the presentation of reference information.

There are a number of people on the forum who really know their stuff. Suppose one setup a topic on boat electrics, with a post for 12v, 24v, and 240v, and then edited those individual posts until they were precise, definitive, and up to date. The topic would not be clogged with adverse comments, unqualified praise, and other stuff that makes the process of finding the information you are looking for, hard work. In time some forum members would acquire a reputation for quality and be referred to, often, and others would be ignored. At present they are all mixed up together.

Later, a poll could elevate the good ones to an "approved" section.

I realise this can be done using non-forum facilities but in-forum would be better.

assuming this isn't one of those posts...

If the thread could first be identified so people knew what was going to happen, threads can be edited and locked.

But is that the right way to do it? This years best inverter will be obsolete in two years time. Do you rewrite the thread, delete and replace the thread or what?

Also, who is to say what the "best" way of doing something is? I'd argue the toss over several different ways of handling a boat through a lock for instance

Richard

Are we trying to reinvent Wikipedia here?

If the answer to everything were "black or white" then this would have some merit. However many of the topics develop into long and sometimes argumentative threads because the answer is a different shade of grey according to the circumstances. Sometimes the resultant debate can actually produce valuable new insights that are as much a surprise to the experts as they are to the ignorant, and there are many apparently simple questions (did anybody mention galvanic isolators, pump-out toilets, or global warming?) where even the greatest experts cannot agree on the "correct" answer. For that reason I do not believe this proposal could ever work.

This maybe a complete pie in the sky suggestion but....

Like a newspaper, the stuff on the forum tends to divide between information (I've avoided using 'facts'!) and comment/opinion.

What if there was an 'information' tag that could be attached to particularly informative postings - either by the author or by the moderators?

Then a search for, for example, '+batttery +charging +information' ought to pull up just the informative posts and leave out the comment/opinion (and the various Phylis/Mayalid disputations - with or without popcorn :lol:

I think, as long as the site name is "Canal World Discussion Forum" then we should leave threads open for discussion.

Who is to decide who the "expert" is, who can provide the definitive answer?

Should Daniel hold interview sessions, where applicants can present their CV, certificates and references?

This maybe a complete pie in the sky suggestion but....

Like a newspaper, the stuff on the forum tends to divide between information (I've avoided using 'facts'!) and comment/opinion.

What if there was an 'information' tag that could be attached to particularly informative postings - either by the author or by the moderators?

Then a search for, for example, '+batttery +charging +information' ought to pull up just the informative posts and leave out the comment/opinion (and the various Phylis/Mayalid disputations - with or without popcorn :lol:

That's an excellent idea. I'm going to tag all my opinions as "information" from now on so that you can all learn to agree with me.

Richard

You know I make sense

That's an excellent idea. I'm going to tag all my opinions as "information" from now on so that you can all learn to agree with me.

Richard

You know I make sense

Then we need spin-off threads in which we can discuss the correctness of the tags. I'm going to tag all mine as "not for information" which would still show up in a search for "information".

Allan

You know I don't make sense

Tag: Information

I shall shut up from now on.

Tag: Credentials:

Ability to know when to shut up from now on.

Tag: Opinion

I should've known better than to make a suggestion (though actually that's not opinion, that's fact!)

Tag: Information

I shall shut up from now on.

I would like to test this information

Tag: Credentials:

Ability to know when to shut up from now on.

"when" to shut up "from now on" are tautological credentials in my opinion.

Tag: Opinion

I should've known better than to make a suggestion (though actually that's not opinion, that's fact!)

Actually I would suggest that is, in fact, your opinion.

Edited by journeyperson