Can you wind 58ft at the bottom of Stockton Locks?

serenility

Featured Posts

We're thinking of a trip from Napton to the 'Two Boats' PH at the weekend. Does anyone know if you can wind 58ft at the bottom of the Stockton flight. The next winding hole shown is at Radford Semele which is 4 miles and 10 locks further on and puts it all a bit out of range for a weekend bimble. Thanks for any help.

Ian

We're thinking of a trip from Napton to the 'Two Boats' PH at the weekend. Does anyone know if you can wind 58ft at the bottom of the Stockton flight. The next winding hole shown is at Radford Semele which is 4 miles and 10 locks further on and puts it all a bit out of range for a weekend bimble. Thanks for any help.

Ian

I don't think you can, but the Keyes arm is within easy walking distance of the 2 boats and you can wind 70ft there. There is also enough room to moor, but you could drop down to the bottom backwards.

Otherwise you can wind at THE Boat at Buirdinbury wharf- Blue Lias marina or something- and walk down from there.

N

I don't think you can, but the Keyes arm is within easy walking distance of the 2 boats and you can wind 70ft there. There is also enough room to moor, but you could drop down to the bottom backwards.

Otherwise you can wind at THE Boat at Buirdinbury wharf- Blue Lias marina or something- and walk down from there.

N

Another alternative to make the trip a bit longer is to turn in the pound below the staircase locks at Bascote - plenty of room for 58'.

Peter

N

Thank you for that sounds like the basis of a plan.

Ian

If there are no boats moored on either side, you could probably wind well over 60 ft directly outside the pub. I've never tried it - but Google Earth shows the width as about 65 ft. The chance of there being no boats moored seems pretty unlikely - but you might just be able to get round even if there is someone (58+7=65).

Another alternative to make the trip a bit longer is to turn in the pound below the staircase locks at Bascote - plenty of room for 58'.

Peter

Thank you Peter, sounds like the basis of an even better plan!

Ian

If there are no boats moored on either side, you could probably wind well over 60 ft directly outside the pub. I've never tried it - but Google Earth shows the width as about 65 ft. The chance of there being no boats moored seems pretty unlikely - but you might just be able to get round even if there is someone (58+7=65).

Hi Alan, Yes, I thought about that, but I think we would be a bit unpopular were we to get stuck for any length of time on a Saturday afternoon / evening!

Thank you Peter, sounds like the basis of an even better plan!

Ian

Hi Alan, Yes, I thought about that, but I think we would be a bit unpopular were we to get stuck for any length of time on a Saturday afternoon / evening!

Let's see. Turning around, outside a pub, unknown area, Saturday afternoon.

You'll get very embarrassingly stuck!

Richard

From memory (i.e might be wrong!) there is actually quite a bit of room immediately above & below most of the locks on that stretch by virtue of the old single lock chambers being adjacent the 'new' doubles, so I suspect that you could probably wind at a lock.

Callum

From memory (i.e might be wrong!) there is actually quite a bit of room immediately above & below most of the locks on that stretch by virtue of the old single lock chambers being adjacent the 'new' doubles, so I suspect that you could probably wind at a lock.

Callum

I have winded a 58' just below Stockton Top Lock a couple of times when giving lock instruction. However, many of the short pounds between these locks are quite shallow on the off side. You should be able to wind on the Kayes arm - its entrance is normally kept reasonably clear to allow all those nice seventy footers to turn.

I have also winded just below the lock above The Two Boats but with a shorter boat. Found it quite silted up.

70' boats can be winded at Stockton Top Marina depending on how many boats are moored or double moored on the cut. You can also wind two 58' boats breasted up if you want to show off! Its best to avoid trying to wind on a Friday because this location will be very busy!