(Bulletin)Boats Being Broken Into

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

My boat was broken into early on this week. I got back to find the hatch up and immediately figured out something was wrong. I got into the boat and, sure enough, stuff had been stolen. I'm in a marina so didn't have an alarm fitted as I figured with cameras and being in an enclosed area this wouldn't happen. I was sadly mistaken. Not only was I targeted but other boats had also been broken into. One old guy who'se lived on a boat all his life and a real old time boater had his windows broken.

The good news is the thugs involved showed up on camera and some are in custody. Everybody is in the process of adapting the new situation and improving security with camera and alarms. However, I can say it's mind boggling. A friend of mine recently died of a heart attack and now his house is empty there have been already 6 attempted break ins.

Any thoughts on the matter? My message is to boaters, be on guard and don't assume it won't happen to you. This can suddenly catch someone off guard as was the case with me.

Edited by FORTUNATA

Sorry to hear about your break in. However boating is no different to any other part of life. There are low life everywhere who pray on the insecure. You just have to make your property more difficult to break into in the hope they will just walk on past to the next boat in line.

I just couldn't believe people are now so desperate as to break into boat in marinas. Now everybody is upgrading security. The snag is my boat was built in a time when this sort of thing didn't happen so no steel doors or extensive security. Lots of boats have vulnerable areas but with all the cameras you'd think that would help.

Still, I'm now looking at security measures. I'm simply viewing all the options. Maybe we should discuss alarm systems for boats and which are the best?

Sorry to hear about your break in. However boating is no different to any other part of life. There are low life everywhere who pray on the insecure. You just have to make your property more difficult to break into in the hope they will just walk on past to the next boat in line.

I just couldn't believe people are now so desperate as to break into boat in marinas. Now everybody is upgrading security. The snag is my boat was built in a time when this sort of thing didn't happen so no steel doors or extensive security. Lots of boats have vulnerable areas but with all the cameras you'd think that would help.

Still, I'm now looking at security measures. I'm simply viewing all the options. Maybe we should discuss alarm systems for boats and which are the best?

Fitting an alarm may be a little extreme. Look firstly at your existing door and window security. Could you draw the curtains when not aboard, fit better locks, hide away all items of value, leave on a low powered radio so it sounds like someone is home? The little things are often cheaper and more effective than expensive alarm systems.

In some cases boats had windows smashed. Mine weren't so maybe I was lucky on that score. I always drew the curtains facing the towpath and always leave a light on. That's why I was surprised. I'm definitely going for the alarm approach once I decide which is the best option for boats. Along with that will be flashing lights. I've been robbed now about 8 times but this was the first time my boat was targeted. Indeed one guy was even attacked while walking towards the marina so this is getting to be quite a situation.

Fitting an alarm may be a little extreme. Look firstly at your existing door and window security. Could you draw the curtains when not aboard, fit better locks, hide away all items of value, leave on a low powered radio so it sounds like someone is home? The little things are often cheaper and more effective than expensive alarm systems.

In some cases boats had windows smashed. Mine weren't so maybe I was lucky on that score. I always drew the curtains facing the towpath and always leave a light on. That's why I was surprised. I'm definitely going for the alarm approach once I decide which is the best option for boats. Along with that will be flashing lights. I've been robbed now about 8 times but this was the first time my boat was targeted. Indeed one guy was even attacked while walking towards the marina so this is getting to be quite a situation.

Sounds like a change of location could be more what you need.

Although if you do stay, i dont see that an alarm will stop them smashing windows. Maybe you are just unlucky but maybe you should look carefully at how you leave your property. Being robbed eight times is not the norm. :lol: and an alarm will not stop you being attacked approaching the marina.

I think that this will unfortunately become a more common occurance as the boats become equipped with more technical devices. I go past many boats with flatscreen TVs, laptops and mobiles in full view from the towpath. This then makes the risk for the thief worthwhile as he will presume that they are still there when the boat is empty.

Security is always a conundrum. Let's face it, if a thief is determined to break into your car / house / boat etc then there is little you can do that will stop them.

I tend to take the approach of just enough to deter the opportunist thief, which primarily involves ensuring nothing valuable is left on view. You can fit alarms, but they have been so unreliable over the years, how many people take any notice of them, even assuming that there is someone around to hear!

Equally, if you really go overboard on security, some people will take that as a sign that there must be something valuable inside, and be even more determined to break in

They've caught the criminals but I'm still awaiting more news on the case. I hate to alarm people but I think this sort of thing is creeping from area to area. You have bad areas and neighbouring areas and the problem tends to spread like a virus. It's clear the economic meltdown is a large factor but also the fact the idea crime is an easy option that seems to be more widespread.

My view is the police do seem to handle these cases professionally but I also think the time is on hand for the kind of zero tolerance approach they took up in New York some years ago.

can you tell us where this took place so we can arm ourselfs to the teeth if we go there :lol:

My view is the police do seem to handle these cases professionally but I also think the time is on hand for the kind of zero tolerance approach they took up in New York some years ago.

Yes, their theft rates plummeted, when they stopped recording anything worth less than £500.

If your pocket is picked, in NY, then it isn't even recorded as a crime.

Discovering you've been burgled is always awful, and currently there's about a one in five chance of it happening. Burglary rates are c.23% according to the British Crime Survey which is about half of what the rates were in 1995 (40%). Of course that's no consolation at all if you've been burgled. However, as one of the reasons for the rate declining (and now apparently stabilising) is better home security, I wonder if boats are simply much easier targets - less security, less people around etc. - but often with the same sort of hardware - laptops, TVs, etc, etc, - that your average burglarlar-alarmed, chubb- locked home has.

Property Crime report