Air horns

Secret Garden

Featured Posts

Hi

Does anybody know where I can get some brass (coloured) air horns from ?

I'm told that Ongaro have discontinued them & only do chrome plated brass now...

There's a beautiful pair on Ebay that came off a steam ship but weighing in at 28lbs I think they might be a bit over the top !

Hoping there might be some old stock around but I've not found any yet

Many thanks

Hi

Does anybody know where I can get some brass (coloured) air horns from ?

I'm told that Ongaro have discontinued them & only do chrome plated brass now...

There's a beautiful pair on Ebay that came off a steam ship but weighing in at 28lbs I think they might be a bit over the top !

Hoping there might be some old stock around but I've not found any yet

Many thanks

this site says they can be offered in Brass or Chrome

http://www.dupremarine.co.uk/kahlenberg

How about a steam whistle powered by compressed air?

I think in general a whistle will take a much greater volume of air than a diaphragm horn.

Having said that, I'm on the lookout for a 24V compressor capable of running a whistle.

An alternative might be a vehicle air conditioning compressor with electromagnetic clutch, but does anyone here know how they cope with use as a straight air compressor? Does the usual AC refrigerant have lubricating properties which would be missing from air, for instance?

Tim

I think in general a whistle will take a much greater volume of air than a diaphragm horn.

Having said that, I'm on the lookout for a 24V compressor capable of running a whistle.

An alternative might be a vehicle air conditioning compressor with electromagnetic clutch, but does anyone here know how they cope with use as a straight air compressor? Does the usual AC refrigerant have lubricating properties which would be missing from air, for instance?

Your very right, a whistle needs alot of air, ie a volume using tanks of about 70 ltrs to store the air and let it go at once!

A whistle wont work using just the compressor it wont have the volume needed.

Tim

Yes, the lube is missing, but they cope fine - the molecules that make up air are larger and don't leak out past the seals quite so easily.

You'd fine lots of info via the landy forums for that sort of thing, onboard air being a popular idea using an air-con compressor and a lorry air tank.

PC

How about a steam whistle powered by compressed air?

They do use an outrageous volume of air if you do that, and will sound different to they would on steam.

- Pressure doesn't need to be that high, our sounds better on 150psi live steam than 200 and if fine down to about 80psi

- But no, the maker infact refused to make it for us unless we promised to use a 1/2inch bsp feed straight off the boiler.

For a very short video clip:

Daniel

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would respond to this thread since it is our company that's being referred to above (du Pre Marine).

I asked Admin if I could respond, and his words were "I would be happy for you to register and to make a post on that thread in reply to the topic, please feel free to state within the post that you have my permission to do so."

It looks like you've been having difficulties in finding brass horns, but we can help! In the last month, we've supplied brass horns to a 23m Dutch barge (that's kept in the UK) and a narrow boat that's currently in the Oxford region.

We have the UK distributorship for Kahlenberg IMO approved horns, and these can come in brass if required. They sound great and part your hair when sounded!

All the best,

Piers

www.dupremarine.co.uk

this site says they can be offered in Brass or Chrome

http://www.dupremarine.co.uk/kahlenberg

Many thanks, they are looking into it now for me

Kahlenberg too, good make

Just fitting a bronze/brass Kahlenberg S1 that I bought from Du Pre Marine for a 22m dutch barge in France!!. Put on ear defenders, squirted air into it with the air blower and it makes one hell of a sound. Great bit of kit.

Edited by colin stone

Just fitting a bronze/brass Kahlenberg S1 that I bought from Du Pre Marine for a 22m dutch barge in France!!. Put on ear defenders, squirted air into it with the air blower and it makes one hell of a sound. Great bit of kit.

So pleased you like it, Colin! Any chance of recording / U-tube video?

All the best

Piers

www.dupremarine.co.uk

Edited by Piers

Guest wanted
They do use an outrageous volume of air if you do that, and will sound different to they would on steam.

- Pressure doesn't need to be that high, our sounds better on 150psi live steam than 200 and if fine down to about 80psi

- But no, the maker infact refused to make it for us unless we promised to use a 1/2inch bsp feed straight off the boiler.

For a very short video clip:

Daniel

I like your one but I really like this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=W6Wz-_DzEzU