Bird Watching

Featured Posts

Spotted a couple of these halfway along the Llangollen on Friday afternoon ...

red_kite800.jpg

I did take my own picture but they looked like two black dots given they were so high up - no mistaking their distinctive tails though (and five and a half foot wing span).

Amazing Birds.

Living in Oxford I get to see them in a regular basis, there are so many along the A40 / M40 it's unreal!

Yes they were released in that area (well, the Chilterns), when they were reintroduced, and don't seem bothered about wandering too far.

Edited by carlt

Plenty where I am near Woolhampton on the K&A

One even landed on the end of our jetty last week, first time i've seen that, I think they are normally carrion feeders so it must have seen something it fancied, took off as soon as I moved to get a camera though.

Could have been an Osprey I suppose :lol:

Osprey.jpg

This is what we saw circling over the Beauly Firth at the end of the Caledonian canal a few weeks back. High up, like a large buzzard and well out over the water.

As we walked back we asked a birdwatcher if it could be an osprey, and it could be. He was coming down to see if the first birds of the season had arrived yet.

Richard

Osprey.jpg

This is what we saw circling over the Beauly Firth at the end of the Caledonian canal a few weeks back. High up, like a large buzzard and well out over the water.

As we walked back we asked a birdwatcher if it could be an osprey, and it could be. He was coming down to see if the first birds of the season had arrived yet.

Richard

Over the sea? Was it white? :lol:

Osprey.jpg

Richard

My initial thought when seeing your picture, was - it might be a Skua - but then the picture is pretty blurry.

My initial thought when seeing your picture, was - it might be a Skua - but then the picture is pretty blurry.

Much bigger than a skua, and definitely not a gull of any kind. Flew in gentle circles like a large raptor

Richard

30 years ago I used to live in mid Wales close to the valley where there were about three nesting pairs - reckoned to be about 50% of the UK population of Red Kites. If you did see one it was a pretty exciting moment. Now, last time I drove up the M40 I counted at least 12 all in the air together. They reckon there are about 300 breeding pairs in that area now, and they have just stopped feeding them so they may start to disperse. The Oxford colony was started with birds brought in from Spain.

Edited by dor

30 years ago I used to live in mid Wales close to the valley where there were about three nesting pairs - reckoned to be about 50% of the UK population of Red Kites. If you did see one it was a pretty exciting moment. Now, last time I drove up the M40 I counted at least 12 all in the air together. They reckon there are about 300 breeding pairs in that area now, and they have just stopped feeding them so they may start to disperse. The Oxford colony was started with birds brought in from Spain.

saw a Red Kite from the M6 in S Cheshire a couple of weeks ago, they must be spreading.

Used to enjoy watching Red & Black kites in France. Remember seeing a Black kite catch a fish in the Meuse, land on a fence post to enjoy the catch only to have it nicked by a cheeky Red. (Reds can't fish AIUI).

Tim