Is it always like this?

Mick and Maggie

Featured Posts

The player stands, holding a large. ornately decorated skewer jammed into the top of the babek. Not clear whether it's bowed or plucked. but when not being played during the performance, it is customary for the player to slowly turn the instrument. The photo shows the traditional player's costume. Notice the towel, which is used to deal with excess grease.

Protective_Clothing.jpg

I was given to understand the instrument was boweled, but I may be mistaken in that.

I was given to understand the instrument was boweled, but I may be mistaken in that.

Is that where the KY jelly comes in.... sorry it was k99 lube I think,

The player stands, holding a large. ornately decorated skewer jammed into the top of the babek. Not clear whether it's bowed or plucked. but when not being played during the performance, it is customary for the player to slowly turn the instrument. The photo shows the traditional player's costume. Notice the towel, which is used to deal with excess grease.

Protective_Clothing.jpg

Plucking in rubber gloves is a personal favourite.... :lol:

Is that where the KY jelly comes in.... sorry it was k99 lube I think,

Plucking in rubber gloves is a personal favourite.... :lol:

Surprising given the sonic potential of the babek!

I consider that the instrument is best lightly fingered then chewed. The boweling technique on this instrument is best described as down-sweep followed by a dramatic up-chuck. There are a number of proponents of this style of playing resident in Bridgnorth, though there wel be more in larger towns and cities like Wolverhampton. One was practicing only the other night outside the library. Very soulful, particularly when accompanied by the traditional call on the Almighty customarily used by the most proficient.

Surprising given the sonic potential of the babek!

I consider that the instrument is best lightly fingered then chewed. The boweling technique on this instrument is best described as down-sweep followed by a dramatic up-chuck. There are a number of proponents of this style of playing resident in Bridgnorth, though there wel be more in larger towns and cities like Wolverhampton. One was practicing only the other night outside the library. Very soulful, particularly when accompanied by the traditional call on the Almighty customarily used by the most proficient.

Ive tried sucking and blowing at the same time but found fingering and plucking simultaneously the most rewarding :lol:

I understand that the Llangollen Babek and Concertina Ensemble are looking for pluckers. The standard's quite high.

Indeed we are, bring your own steel tube for collection of grease.

Ive tried sucking and blowing at the same time but found fingering and plucking simultaneously the most rewarding :lol:

You've sucked and blown a babek? It's truly remarkable what some men will do.

Must get off to practise. Desperately trying to get my rubberised fingers round the haunting melody of 'The Greaser's Lament'.

( :lol: Enjoyed the craic tonight. Thanks)

Ah, really lovely, the Greaser's Lament. Have you got to grips with the 'Ballad of the Greasy Pole' yet. 'Tis a sad tale of three old lags attempting to woo a fickle mistress by offering false promises. Very touching, they played it on ITV this evening.

I do despair with you lot...! :lol:

Well, like, derrrrr!

Off to the VP to get really silly now ....

Edited by wrigglefingers

I'm selling a banjo if anyone wants to play it in the band... and a mandolin and a ukulele..

As it's been some time since I've heard those familiar words "Not another bloody instrument you're never going to learn to play!"...I'm tempted to ask, how much for the Banjo?

As it's been some time since I've heard those familiar words "Not another bloody instrument you're never going to learn to play!"...I'm tempted to ask, how much for the Banjo?

Now there is an idea.

If we can rehome all such instruments into the hands of people who can't play them, and wouldn't dream of making a hash of them down the pub...

If we can rehome all such instruments into the hands of people who can't play them, and wouldn't dream of making a hash of them down the pub...

Oh, I don't qualify, then.

I'm always willing to have a go, in the interest of human suffering.

Your OH says that sort of thing too does she?

I too am tempted with a banjo, to add to the three guitars, one mandola, one ukulele, one didgeredoo, one trumpet (awaiting refurb), one tibetan mouth harp...

actually, Val may have a point :lol: