Exhaust pipe

leolady too

Featured Posts

Does any one know of a source of the pipe used to make exhaust stacks. Out exhaust comes up through the roof. I hate breathing fumes so want to use the long pipe but we have a few low bridges. I'd like to make an extra long hinged pipe but can't seem to find a source for the tube. It needs to be 3" internal diameter of a fraction bigger.

Does any one know of a source of the pipe used to make exhaust stacks. Out exhaust comes up through the roof. I hate breathing fumes so want to use the long pipe but we have a few low bridges. I'd like to make an extra long hinged pipe but can't seem to find a source for the tube. It needs to be 3" internal diameter of a fraction bigger.

Most car exhaust fitting centres will have a stock of straight tube sections for repair work. If they don't keep it in then they can get it quite quickly. They may also let you look at their ready made stuff in case you might find just what you are looking for. On-line, try Bainbridge or Harmo for stock of the straight sections.

You could try these people, I have always found them very helpful, but they only do stainless steel tube :- http://www.smithmetal.com/products/catalogue.asp

Or just google "steel tube suppliers", you will get thousands of hits.

Weld a pipe with a flange to the roof. Connect this by a flexi to your silencer in the engine room. Two inches above roof level is a flat rectangular plate about 150mm x 100mm, through which towards one end of the plate the exhaust pipe passes and to which it is welded. To the rear of the plate fix two short uprights about two inces long to carry the hinge pins/bolts. The hinges are made of flat bar and are the length of the rectangular plate. At their forward end weld a a piece of 100 x 50mm rectangular box section with a hole bored through both sides to take an exhaust stack which is welded to both sides of the box section for added strength. The exhaust stack should be a loose fit over the pipe coming through the roof. the whole construction should be in heavyish steel 8mm is what I use. Use a lightwweight shaft and hook to raise and lower the stack from the steeering position. Do not skimp on the weight of the stack. I usually make the stack about a metre long to begin with, it can always be triimmed. Regards, HughC.

Weld a pipe with a flange to the roof. Connect this by a flexi to your silencer in the engine room. Two inches above roof level is a flat rectangular plate about 150mm x 100mm, through which towards one end of the plate the exhaust pipe passes and to which it is welded. To the rear of the plate fix two short uprights about two inces long to carry the hinge pins/bolts. The hinges are made of flat bar and are the length of the rectangular plate. At their forward end weld a a piece of 100 x 50mm rectangular box section with a hole bored through both sides to take an exhaust stack which is welded to both sides of the box section for added strength. The exhaust stack should be a loose fit over the pipe coming through the roof. the whole construction should be in heavyish steel 8mm is what I use. Use a lightwweight shaft and hook to raise and lower the stack from the steeering position. Do not skimp on the weight of the stack. I usually make the stack about a metre long to begin with, it can always be triimmed. Regards, HughC.

As seen on Narrowboat Brasso

Edit for right sort of photobucket code

DSCF1331.jpg

DSCF1329.jpg

Edited by ditchcrawler

I used flexible stainless steel tubing for the exhaust pipe (stack), a metre of it, when I had a narrow boat with an Russsell Newbery in it. Had the advantage of being bent over to one side for tunnels so the outlet was directly to the side so no crap from the tunnel roof. I'm not keen on solid 'tall pipes' as there is potential for serious roof damage and flexible seemed less complicated than a hinged unit.

but flexi stainless is a bit difficult to get hold of. I found it in the river hamble chandlery barge many years ago, not even sure if its still there :lol: