Painting Mouse Ears??

Ads

Featured Posts

Hi

I want to paint mouse ears on the back end of my cabin.

At the moment it is all one colour but i want to paint the middle a different colour with a cream coach line i know how to get the shape etc but what im really after is how best to do the 1" coach line around the edge?

A normal 1" tape wont go round the curves so i guess its a case of using fine line tape?

Any help would be great thanks

Ads

Edited by Ads

Hi

I want to paint mouse ears on the back end of my cabin.

At the moment it is all one colour but i want to paint the middle a different colour with a cream coach line i know how to get the shape etc but what im really after is how best to do the 1" coach line around the edge?

A normal 1" tape wont go round the curves so i guess its a case of using fine line tape?

Any help would be great thanks

Ads

Welllll - - there's a few ways you could try . .

You could buy a sheet of Fablon (or similar) - cut your desired shape out of that, and then remove just 1/2" of backing round the edges (to give you a clean painting edge without sticking the whole sheet to your cabin . .

Or you could buy a few sheets of A4 labels (from a Stationers) and create a similar pattern (paper labels are easier to remove than fablon!)

Edited by Grace & Favour

Perhaps paint the coach line, keeping it accurate on the outside edge but straying over on the inside edge, then do the central colour?

That's an amateur suggestion, I am sure the professional advice will be here in full Speight in due course.

Long time since Ive used it mind but 3M used to do a narrow plasticy type of masking tape.Think it was about 8mm wide so used this for the edges and a normal tape to cover a bit more on the unpainted side. It was a bit dear but you could do really tight curves with it and the paint never crept under it either

Have a look here- sorry you,ll have to cut & paste this-me link didnt work :-D

http://www.paints4u.com/productsbyCat.aspx...;Subselection=2

I take it back-me link has worked :-D

Edited by PaulJ

Long time since Ive used it mind but 3M used to do a narrow plasticy type of masking tape.Think it was about 8mm wide so used this for the edges and a normal tape to cover a bit more on the unpainted side. It was a bit dear but you could do really tight curves with it and the paint never crept under it either

Have a look here- sorry you,ll have to cut & paste this-me link didnt work :-D

http://www.paints4u.com/productsbyCat.aspx...;Subselection=2

I take it back-me link has worked :-D

Thanks for everyones replys

I already use this tape and its great stuff.

I think what im going to do is to paint my main coloured shape masked with the fine line then then by using small bits if 1" masking taped evey few inches to gauge the width go free hand with the fine line tape on the outside edge of the 1" tape then mask on the inside over the shape hopefully giving me just over a 1" line to paint in a cream line. this is sort of the way i painted my coach lines before so that my paint was all on one level and not over lapping.

not sure if that makes sense! haha.. but i know what i mean

Perhaps paint the coach line, keeping it accurate on the outside edge but straying over on the inside edge, then do the central colour?

That's an amateur suggestion, I am sure the professional advice will be here in full Speight in due course.

Uh?

Thanks for everyones replys

I already use this tape and its great stuff.

I think what im going to do is to paint my main coloured shape masked with the fine line then then by using small bits if 1" masking taped evey few inches to gauge the width go free hand with the fine line tape on the outside edge of the 1" tape then mask on the inside over the shape hopefully giving me just over a 1" line to paint in a cream line. this is sort of the way i painted my coach lines before so that my paint was all on one level and not over lapping.

not sure if that makes sense! haha.. but i know what i mean

That would work. Use Signwriting Enamel - that should cover in one coat and save you messing about.

I tried sweeping SWMBO's curves with insulating tape - - - it should be noted that she didn't appreciate it!

I've found electrical insulating tape works very well for masking curves. You can use it like that narrow plastic 3M stuff mentioned earlier, but it's wider, which can be useful (although you can't form such tight radius curves, its good for sweeping ones).

Uh?

That would work. Use Signwriting Enamel - that should cover in one coat and save you messing about.

I used a One shot cream last time and coverd really well even on your graphite grey so irl prob do the same again

I would think electrical tape could work on straight stuff but does it not leave a sticky residue??

Ads

It dates back to the time when Walt Disney was a major shareholder in GUCCCo and insisted on some acknowledgement of his involvement, in their corporate identity.

The painting of castles on the cabin panels was largely down to the Disney influence, too.

Edited by carlt

It dates back to the time when Walt Disney was a major shareholder in GUCCCo and insisted on some acknowledgement of his involvement, in their corporate identity.

The painting of castles on the cabin panels was largely down to the Disney influence, too.

Thanks for the info. My life is enriched with a little knowledge gained every day.

Might be taking this slightly of topic, but I've often wondered about the history/ significance/ traditional reasoning behind the mouse ear painting.

Although I prefer Carl`s theory I suspect the truth is to found by looking , doubtless with the use of a TARDIS, at the decoration to be found on all manner of carts and haulage vehicles from the early canal era. A lot of the decoration on boats only became unique to the canals after fashions had changed elsewhere.