Flood control and new topics

Featured Posts

Too often I get

"there are no new posts"

Bollards, a quick check on each forum reveals hundreds of the buggers

and

"Flood control" which means please wait for five seconds... go away, make a cuppa, get the same again....

The second could be contact bounce, the first is not

Anyone?

This may be the explanation, it catches me out sometimes.

"View New Posts" actually shows you just "Posts since your last visit" so if there were unread posts when you last logged out, they won't show on that screen but will still be there on the forums as Unread.

To show them all click on "Get active topics for" {today} and Go

ior to get rid of them, either click on "Mark all forums as read and return to index" at the top of the New Posts screen, or else click on "Mark all posts as read" at the foot of the index screen.

Does that help?

I have the same problem. Trouble is Dave & I share a lappy, so he may open up the forum during the day and because I'm rubbish at remembering to log out, he finds himself signed in as me. He logs out, but next time I log in I can only View New Posts from the time that he logged in.

The worst one is when your computer crashes, and when you get back on you just get an error message under View New Posts - you have to wait for someone to post before you can follow Allan's advice and use the "Get Active Topics" at the bottom of the page (though fortunately this forum is active enough that you don't usually have to wait too long). I do hate using that option though - all that extra scrolling down and clicking.

I spend far too much time on the forum don't I!!

you have to wait for someone to post before you can follow Allan's advice and use the "Get Active Topics" at the bottom of the page (though fortunately this forum is active enough that you don't usually have to wait too long).

If the forum is too quiet, you could always post something yourself.

I have the same problem. Trouble is Dave & I share a lappy, so he may open up the forum during the day and because I'm rubbish at remembering to log out, he finds himself signed in as me. He logs out, but next time I log in I can only View New Posts from the time that he logged in.

Use a different browser? Firefox for you, Safari for him (or whatever).

The flood control is to prevent DOS attacks on the forum, it is deliberate, and a feature common to almost all forums.

- Infact, 5 seconds is a reduction of the default time, and certainly far less than the 25second imposted by a number of other forums i use.

- Further more, with the IBS software you can begin writing a post within the five second time, unlike many where you have to wait 5secs before you can even start typing the next msg let alone posting it (excluding the fast reply box).

Daniel

Whats the difference between todays active topics[which is what I use] and New Posts apart from obvious and why would you differentiate between them... :lol:

Just checked - View New Posts (I think) gives you the active threads since you were last online. When I click it now it gives me two pages of results - the earliest being the "Paint GRP Cruiser Ceiling" last updated at 8.05pm. When I select "Get Active Posts" for today it returns 3 pages back to "Boat Inspector" last updated at 12.27am. I think I need to start using the latter (for me it's sheer laziness using View New Posts as it's at the top of the screen and I don't have to scroll down - fine if I'm the only user of my lappy)

I like Richard's suggestion of using different browsers - I use Firefox, we just have to decide on another for Dave to use (though I have been angling for a lappy each which would negate this problem).

:lol: