Aladdin Radiator Vent Valves

Batavia

Featured Posts

I am just about to install a posh new radiator and it has been supplied with an Aladdin automatic vent valve, which looks very neat.

As a result of years of problems with automatic air vent valves failing to close properly in my day job, I am very suspicious of installing something which could dump water all over the boat floor.

Unfortunately the radiator vent connection is is a very visible position, otherwise I would just fit a normal manual valve.

Has anyone had any experience of these Aladdin valves (which only seem to have been on the market for a short time), or of similar ones? Are they in the sliced bread or spawn of satan category?

Thanks

Chris G

I fitted an Aladdinnnn self bleeder to a radiator at home, it must have been the Mk1 version, because it did not self bleed. I contacted the makers, NLB Engineering Ltd, 1, Cedar House, Stonehall Business Park, Downhall Road, Matching Green, Essex, CM17 0RA and at www.aladdin-nib.com and they sent me FOC the Mk2 version. It has been fitted for several years now doing it's job quite well. Just yesterday I noticed it had stopped self bleeding. My next task is to take out the self bleeding capsule inspect and clean or renew as necessary.

So yes, they did the job but may need replacement capsules every 5 years or so.

Keith

Don't they only operate at quite a high pressure? I remember looking at a self bleed gizmo in the Screwfix catalogue which only vented at about 10bar.

No, not a pressure operated thingy at all. Just uses the header tank pressure through a vavle that is water sensitve. When the rad is ful, the thingy is soaked in water and seals closed. When there is air in the rad, the thingy is starved of water, and opens to atmosphere venting the air. As soon as the water level rises, it seals again.

Never had one leeeeek on me yet (just the cat)

Keith

Edited by jelunga

I am just about to install a posh new radiator and it has been supplied with an Aladdin automatic vent valve, which looks very neat.

Chris G

Funny you should mention these, because I'm about to fit one myself. I've discovered that when I bleed one of the radiators with the circulation pump running, air is sucked in, not expelled. (It's all to do with the position of the pump, which I can't very easily move). I presume that these valves will only allow trapped air out and not suck any into the system. It's worth a try.

Funny you should mention these, because I'm about to fit one myself. I've discovered that when I bleed one of the radiators with the circulation pump running, air is sucked in, not expelled. (It's all to do with the position of the pump, which I can't very easily move). I presume that these valves will only allow trapped air out and not suck any into the system. It's worth a try.

Why not bleed the radiator with the pump off

No, not a pressure operated thingy at all. Just uses the header tank pressure through a vavle that is water sensitve. When the rad is ful, the thingy is soaked in water and seals closed. When there is air in the rad, the thingy is starved or water, and opens to atmosphere venting the air. As soon as the water level rises, it seals again.

Never had one leeeeek on me yet (just the cat)

Keith

So, assuming it's attached to a lowly rad, does it mean the header tank needs to be empty? If so i will stand by my pinching Chrispy's idea and putting a cistern in. (Cheers Chris)

That's what the answer to Q. 11 on the Q&A page of their web site would seem to imply...

http://www.nlbengineering.co.uk/

Chris G

PS Thanks for the various replies - I will take the plunge and use this new-fangled technology

I might have been beaten to it but never bleed a radiator with the circ pump running. It just sucks air in normally. And always fit the little self bleeder to the radiator at the top of the system.

K

So, assuming it's attached to a lowly rad, does it mean the header tank needs to be empty? If so i will stand by my pinching Chrispy's idea and putting a cistern in. (Cheers Chris)

No, you need a header tank with water in to replace the volume of air that is released in the rad system.

Edited by jelunga

I've used lots of this type over the years and never known one to leak

Image006-1.jpg

You've not got one hot enough...

I had a slight accident running the Aga (-thing) flat out last year and created a steam engine, which melted the float in the AAV. I've had it screwed down shut since and haven't gotten around to replacing it.

PC

I might have been beaten to it but never bleed a radiator with the circ pump running. It just sucks air in normally. And always fit the little self bleeder to the radiator at the top of the system.

Agreed on this, that's what I understand too.

Not to say that I always stick to it.

PC