Needle scalers

DHutch

Featured Posts

Don't MachineMart do one the same as the SIP? This one
Yes, but given its the same price, i would probably go for the sip? Would you not?

Daniel, where did you buy it? Cirrus systems website has prices of £17 for a single up to £53 for a triple perago blaster.
Yeah, its £17, plus vat, plus posts, £25. Sorry, typing error on the original post.

Daniel

I like to know how you get on with these and whether they are any good. Are they actually suggesting that you attach it to a hand held drill in this picture? Looks dodgey, and not safe. If it the wheel got caught at speed, the drill might break your wrist?

blaster-single.jpg

We - or rather PB - used one of these on Andante, and on parts of Warrior's engine, and were very impressed. I'll draw his attention to this thread so he can respond in more detail.

Perago - absolutely bloody marvellous. I used a single for doing around the windows of Andante following shotblasting. I was extremely sceptical at first but it was faultless, I used on a 18v battery drill. If it gets caught the rubber disc allows to 'slip' sideways. You can even let it run across your fingers without ill effect. Probably not the thing for Daniel's needs but a very handy addition to any took kit, they do a very similar one for wood which is just as good as well as lots of very effective metal cleaning and finishing materials. Have yuou thought of some sort of chemical cleaning system DH? No connection etc. apart from being a very satisfied customer.

Hi Dan,

i would recommend the hand scabblers from Brandon Tool Hire and use a grider with a backing disc and 36 grit discs to reremove any bits you cant get with the scrabbler. I think the needle guns will do more damage. The Perago is quite good but slow if only one disc but it can get into awkward areas.

cheers,

Steve

Sounds fair enough.

- Sounds about like the response i was expecting/hoping for.

- Ive seen the electric hitli ones but there much ££'s and usually 110v.

I think i'll give one ago, i'll get the gloved/eyes/ears on and take is steady and see what gives. Might wait till march however as im not a fan of working in snow!

Daniel

If you are enywher near Stone, I have one you can borrow (and an air chisel)... Used extensively on Orianne

Give me a PM

Regards

Arnot

• 5 years later...

Epic thread resurrection.....

I thought I would post an update as just over five years later, we have just come off the drydock after the one I was talking about in the opening post.

We acquired a compressor and needle scaler from a family friend who was hanging up his tools and have been using et ever since. It works really well on the boat for removing loose paint and rust, and has also found use on the digger restoration, being small and directable it is great for areas that would be very hard to prep, but also larger areas.

Unless some methods it can give good feedback on how well the paint is stuck when used at a shallow angle, but can also be used to take of even good steel if a whole bare-metal prep is required, or to link loose areas together to make it easier to feather in. Normally we then buff off and feather in the areas with a flap disk in an angle grinder. If its an area of the cabin the well-visible we then also sand back the high-build epoxy ali primer. For the blacking we largely leave it as it is with a sharp edge, knocking back the edge slightly when we go over the whole lot with a wire cup in the angle grider, at speed, to apply a slight key.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100446961380358&l=764458f48d

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100446961430258&l=04e2e622af

Daniel