Wiring of an alternator to battery charger

Featured Posts

Well, subsequent to an earlier post regarding a rewire of my alternators I have gone down the alternator to battery charger route as I was offered one for a snip. Now its time to fit it and I have a few questions!

I unit im fitting is a 160 amp Sterling alternator to battery charger incorporating a split diode, a simple job you might think, unfortunatly I have come across a few issues that while minor need clarifying before I start fiddling:)

I currently have a main battery selector switch (the type that allows bat 1, 2, both or off), this should make wiring the charger a doddle as the alternator feed and batt 1 and 2 cables are already present. However I have realised that the main feed to the fuseboard is taken from the switch as well, rather than directly from the battery. Would I be right in thinking this is incorrect and should be wired directly to the battery?

And a final question, the main alternator feed (B+) currently runs to the positive terminal on the starter motor (for information the engine is a lister HA2), and then to the main battery switch, is this correct? I would have thought that it should be run directly to the switch?

My current thinking is that:

The terminals on the new charger are 1)alternator (B+), 2) domestic battery output and 3) engine battery output and 4) an earth cable. I presume that as things stand the alternator should be wired directly to the input terminal, (1) the domestic feed to the battery obviously to the battery, and the engine battery terminal 3) to both the engine and starter motor (the charger is also a splitting diode). I assume that as stated above the positive feed to the fuseboard should be wired directly to the battery. Presumeably the earth can be wired directly to the alternator casing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Well, subsequent to an earlier post regarding a rewire of my alternators I have gone down the alternator to battery charger route as I was offered one for a snip. Now its time to fit it and I have a few questions!

I unit im fitting is a 160 amp Sterling alternator to battery charger incorporating a split diode, a simple job you might think, unfortunatly I have come across a few issues that while minor need clarifying before I start fiddling:)

I currently have a main battery selector switch (the type that allows bat 1, 2, both or off), this should make wiring the charger a doddle as the alternator feed and batt 1 and 2 cables are already present. However I have realised that the main feed to the fuseboard is taken from the switch as well, rather than directly from the battery. Would I be right in thinking this is incorrect and should be wired directly to the battery?

And a final question, the main alternator feed (B+) currently runs to the positive terminal on the starter motor (for information the engine is a lister HA2), and then to the main battery switch, is this correct? I would have thought that it should be run directly to the switch?

The terminals on the new charger are 1)alternator (B+), 2) domestic battery output and 3) engine battery output and 4) an earth cable. I presume that as things stand the alternator should be wired directly to the input terminal, (1) the domestic feed to the battery obviously to the battery, and the engine battery terminal 3) to both the engine and starter motor (the charger is also a splitting diode). I assume that as stated above the positive feed to the fuseboard should be wired directly to the battery. Presumeably the earth can be wired directly to the alternator casing.

The isolator switch isolates the battery from the services at the switch so the battery is one side and services (& alternator) the other so I do not think there is anything wrong with the wiring you are adding an alternator to battery charger to. I have no experience of the latter however.

Not necessarily, it will be for convenience, the cable will be going to the battery to take the charge to it

Again, not necessarily, again for convenience but you must never be able to disconnect the battery's from the alternator or you could burn out the alternator if it has no load.

The earth can be any where on the engine and it will have one otherwise the old alternator wouldn't have worked. I imagine you should just swop the alternators, wire for wire and all will be OK

Alex

You can download the operating and installation manual from the sterling website.

http://www.sterling-power.com/images/downl...e%20Control.pdf

I have one of these too and it is simple to connect.

The alternator(s) are connected to the B+ and the earth can be anywhere on the engine block but probably best to connect to Alternator mounts or if the alternator has an isolated earth the to the earth post on the alternator connection (B-)

The outputs are as you say to the individual battery banks domestic and starter. These can be directly connected (probably need a fuse fitted then) or via the battery isolation switches.