For wooden boat enthusiasts

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

That does look very good indeed. Huge rudder. Was this a cargo vessel originally and used in shallow water (hence the drop boards on teh side) ?

I wonder what a Botter Yacht was exactly? Other than it is what it is in the picture.

I wonder what a Botter Yacht was exactly? Other than it is what it is in the picture.

I believe it was a fishing vessel but I can only find a brief reference to them, in my books.

Edited to say:

Bowled a quick Googlie:

This Dutch "botter jacht" was a yacht-version of the traditional fishing and cargo vessels that were a common sight on the inland waters of Holland. Botters were heavily built with a low freeboard, flat-bottomed shallow-draft hull and leeboards to enable them to sail in shoal water and along canals.
Edited by carlt

That does look very good indeed. Huge rudder. Was this a cargo vessel originally and used in shallow water (hence the drop boards on teh side) ?

I was curious too. I found this clicky

You're right, a Botter is a purpose-built fishing craft that used to fish the Zuider Zee (now Ijsselmeer).

There are photos within the link below but the one posted says Botter Yacht so presumably is some sort of 'derivative' as it doesn't look exactly the same. Carl's google says it all really. Side-swords / lee boards are vital on flat-bottom sailing boats and replace a keel (which is no good on the shallow lakes and canals in Holland) to stop side slip.

http://www.weijsberg.nl/Botter/

ZS13, the boat within the link was actually the first Botter ever built (1860's I believe) and was rescued from the silt by a Dutch guy who became a friend of ours. Now travels round historic ship festivals and gives pre-booked rides to groups of people, the charges for which help pay for the upkeep.

This particular vessel has been for sale for a while. At least 12 months to my knowledge. (We where interested in a tug they had but alas it didnt turn out to be a good investment :lol: )

Photos dated 2007, last survey 2003 (on an old wooden boat) and asking price 'massively reduced', it would need careful examination and assessment of upkeep costs before buying. Very pretty though.

Tim

You're right, a Botter is a purpose-built fishing craft that used to fish the Zuider Zee (now Ijsselmeer).

There are photos within the link below but the one posted says Botter Yacht so presumably is some sort of 'derivative' as it doesn't look exactly the same. Carl's google says it all really. Side-swords / lee boards are vital on flat-bottom sailing boats and replace a keel (which is no good on the shallow lakes and canals in Holland) to stop side slip.

http://www.weijsberg.nl/Botter/

ZS13, the boat within the link was actually the first Botter ever built (1860's I believe) and was rescued from the silt by a Dutch guy who became a friend of ours. Now travels round historic ship festivals and gives pre-booked rides to groups of people, the charges for which help pay for the upkeep.

What a fascinating bit of real boat history the vessel is then. Lovely looking thing and if the hull is sound then it seems an amazing price for such a thing.

I believe it was a fishing vessel but I can only find a brief reference to them, in my books.

Edited to say:

Bowled a quick Googlie:

Thanks Carl. Leeboards! that was the word I was looking for but I could only think of drop boards.