Water tank

Tomska

Featured Posts

OK, the dreaded time has come. I need to dismantle the home-made water tank thet the previous owner put in and install a proper moulded one. I've been looking at the Cak Tanks catalogue, and the huge locker at the front of my boat would easily fit their biggest tank (97 gallons). However I'm not sure how big a tank I should put in.

The boat could certainly do with more weight at the front, so a big tank wouldn't be a bad thing, but is 97 gallons ridiculous?

I have no frame of reference really - what size is sensible for a water tank in a boat, bearing in mind my boat is a 30 ton Dutch barge?

Thanks.

97 gallons would not be a large water tank, even in a narrow boat, let along a barge.

Many people have reported much larger tanks on here.

We were told our 50 foot narrowboat had a 150 gallon tank, but having been inside it, and done a few sums, I'd say it's considerably bigger.

We are not massive users of water, but to give you flexibility, I'd want at least that 97 gallons, and (preferably) rather more. (A few who have been iced in these last few weeks will have been glad of very big tanks, I suspect!).

(Yes, I know "real" boaters used to survive with 2 * 3 gallon cans on the roof, but they didn't have sinks, let alone showers or baths, and much of their "non cooking" water came from the cut :lol: ).

We were told our 50 foot narrowboat had a 150 gallon tank, but having been inside it, and done a few sums, I'd say it's considerably bigger.

That's funny, because we were also told that our tank was 150 gallons. I can't get inside it but after few measurements and sums I also realised it was nearer 200 gallons.

It will normally last us about 3 weeks but we tend to fill up weekly.

OK, the dreaded time has come. I need to dismantle the home-made water tank thet the previous owner put in and install a proper moulded one. I've been looking at the Cak Tanks catalogue, and the huge locker at the front of my boat would easily fit their biggest tank (97 gallons). However I'm not sure how big a tank I should put in.

The boat could certainly do with more weight at the front, so a big tank wouldn't be a bad thing, but is 97 gallons ridiculous?

I have no frame of reference really - what size is sensible for a water tank in a boat, bearing in mind my boat is a 30 ton Dutch barge?

Thanks.

Mine's 250 galls but most RWD Northwich Traders have about 400 galls.

A good reason for having an integral tank.

Blimey.

OK, any idea where I can get pre-made tanks that kind of size then? or are all of yours integrated?

I reckon I could fit quite a big tank in the front locker (probably a few hundred gallons at least), but where to find one...?

Thanks.

Just found this using Google, which would fit perfectly well, but £400!

Yikes!

Edited by Tomska

Blimey.

OK, any idea where I can get pre-made tanks that kind of size then? or are all of yours integrated?

I reckon I could fit quite a big tank in the front locker (probably a few hundred gallons at least), but where to find one...?

Thanks.

Just found this using Google, which would fit perfectly well, but £400!

Yikes!

Our main tank is integral with the bows + we have two oblong 70 gall polypropylene tanks under the dining table.

We had them made for £275 I think in '05. Google 'Stansa Fabrications' Joe Poulson owns and runs it single handed and is very helpful. At the time they were the cheapest source in the UK.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I have deep bilges :lol: , so I'm using multiple 20cm high tanks from Caktanks to put down there. I'm looking at around 1200ltrs, but would add more if I could.