mobile broadband...

dizzyknits

Featured Posts

keith...... thanks for reply, have you any idea where I can look on laptop to see if there is bluetooth capabilities?

running vista if that helps, (didn't come with instruction book.....aaaahhhh!!!!)

no I'm not, it's windows 7.......I'm off too bed :lol::lol:

We bought a Vodafone dongle last year and thought we were in heaven. Have spent the previous five years on our boat (15 weeks per year) using libraries or internet cafes to communicate with home (Aust.)

Now it looks like we will have to go back to downloading to a memory stick and trudging around to find somewhere to go on line. Does anyone know of an alternative? We don't really want to have to commit to a 12 or 24 month plan as we are only in the UK for a bit over three months each year.

We bought a Vodafone dongle last year and thought we were in heaven. Have spent the previous five years on our boat (15 weeks per year) using libraries or internet cafes to communicate with home (Aust.)

Now it looks like we will have to go back to downloading to a memory stick and trudging around to find somewhere to go on line. Does anyone know of an alternative? We don't really want to have to commit to a 12 or 24 month plan as we are only in the UK for a bit over three months each year.

i pay £30 a month on 3 network i have 15gb alowance each month, which is huge so i wont go over it, i can play games etc and use it all i like, i had to pay £150 extra though but got there best laptop on offer in with the deal which is worth £400, i got this cos i had 5gb allowance before and went over usage and it cost me a small fortune....

if you dont use the internet much get an O2 network one pay £2 for 500mb for a day,

£7.50 for 1gb for a week

or £15 for 3gb for a month, no contract its simple just buy dongle from them, and use it when you like...cost £20 for dongle and just plug it in and use it when you want it..

http://shop.o2.co.uk/

no I'm not, it's windows 7.......I'm off too bed :lol::lol:

Have a look for 'network connections' in the 'control panel' found via the 'start' button.

Note: this is all for XP so it may be different in Vista or/and 7.

Another thought, you may be able to connect your phone via a usb lead (if one came with the phone) and not worry about Bluetooth, this would make it more difficult to place the phone for a good signal though.

I am a bit confused about Vodafone. I, like others here, thought it was not time limited (apart from the 180 days) from when I looked into this last year. But their website today says:

"Instant access when you need it - and no contract. TopUp and Go gives you a flexible way to enjoy mobile broadband. And it comes with a £15 TopUp, which lasts for up to 30 days"

which suggests it will lapse after the 30 days.

I am also looking for the best deal for sporadic use that doesnt run out!

I am a bit confused about Vodafone. I, like others here, thought it was not time limited (apart from the 180 days) from when I looked into this last year. But their website today says:

"Instant access when you need it - and no contract. TopUp and Go gives you a flexible way to enjoy mobile broadband. And it comes with a £15 TopUp, which lasts for up to 30 days"

which suggests it will lapse after the 30 days.

I am also looking for the best deal for sporadic use that doesnt run out!

See post #5 above

Yes I saw that but if I understood itcorrectly then if you buy from Vodafone this will not apply.

They were selling the 180day expiry version the other day I got the last one they had in the vodafone shop and he said they wouldn't be restocking however the Carphone warehouse had a poster offering the same deal.

there were two deals available at the time I bought mine:

1. 1GB for £15 and the credit lasts 180 days

2. 3GB for £15 and the credit lasts 30 days

and now they have apparently stopped deal one and are only offering deal 2.

It appears that the two different deals may involve different modems.

its definitely a bit confusing.

They were selling the 180day expiry version the other day I got the last one they had in the vodafone shop and he said they wouldn't be restocking however the Carphone warehouse had a poster offering the same deal.

there were two deals available at the time I bought mine:

1. 1GB for £15 and the credit lasts 180 days

2. 3GB for £15 and the credit lasts 30 days

and now they have apparently stopped deal one and are only offering deal 2.

It appears that the two different deals may involve different modems.

its definitely a bit confusing.

Just been in to my local Carphone warehouse and they do not have any of the unlimited ones anymore.

Discussed T Mobile with them as they have a 90 day unlimited which can then be used as a pay per day afterwards.

However this isnt available on their website. Their website defines Unlimited as Unlimited browsing but does not include any downloading or streaming. Seems to me it would be better to have an allowance and then do what you want with it

I just came to conclusion that a £2 per day from either Vodafone or T Mobile would be best, so thought Id checked coverage at my home mooring - Vodafone site down (again, Ive seeen this lots) T Mobile says no coverage.

Aaaaargh. Maybe Ill try again in a few months!

You can get the Vodafone 1GB non expiry dongle from Amazon for £28.95, which is on offer and includes £15 for 1 GB of credit.

Link below, if it works!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vodafone-K3565-Pre...0457&sr=8-1

Thank you ! Thats sounds perfect! One question if anyone knows, when does the first £15 start? Is it at purchase? Or is there an activation? Thinking that right now I wont have that much use for a few weeks at least.

Thank you ! Thats sounds perfect! One question if anyone knows, when does the first £15 start? Is it at purchase? Or is there an activation? Thinking that right now I wont have that much use for a few weeks at least.

Mine didn't start until I activated and tested it, but it really doesn't make that much difference; as long as you use at least 1p every 6 months it keeps going.