BW and Anglers

Jon

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...

I boat and fish and and have only ever had a problem with 1 angler.

Fishing on the lock landing with keep nets in the water on the bottom lock of the Stourbridge 16 and would not move to let me land my wife to work the lock.

She had to be very quick getting off as I could only just get the bow in.

Let him hear me shout to her sorry about that but blame the idiot fishing on a lock landing.

The worst problem we have come across though is boaters mooring on lock landings

I boat and fish and and have only ever had a problem with 1 angler.

Fishing on the lock landing with keep nets in the water on the bottom lock of the Stourbridge 16 and would not move to let me land my wife to work the lock.

She had to be very quick getting off as I could only just get the bow in.

Let him hear me shout to her sorry about that but blame the idiot fishing on a lock landing.

The worst problem we have come across though is boaters mooring on lock landings

Why is there a difference?

Boat moored on lock landing - just come along side and tie up. (should know better)

Fisherprat with keepnet in middle of lock landing - just come alongside and tie up. (if they have a licence they had the information telling them not to)

Neither should be there, but why make it difficult for your wifes to get off.

Obviously i'm sure the fisherman will have an issue, but i've just taken my 3' iron tiller bar off to polish, but just remembered the polish is at the front. :D

Strangely such fishermen dont complain to a pair of working boats!

simon.

• 2 weeks later...

Boat moored on lock landing - just come along side and tie up. (should know better)

Fisherprat with keepnet in middle of lock landing - just come alongside and tie up. (if they have a licence they had the information telling them not to)

Obviously i'm sure the fisherman will have an issue, but i've just taken my 3' iron tiller bar off to polish, but just remembered the polish is at the front. <_<

simon.

Every angler we met this year on the Bridgewater and Trent and Mersey canals was friendly.

i do believe ive met a few people like u before ignoramous . fortunately not evryone likes the same thing in life and thank god you obviously dont like fishing we are at least pleased about that . show a little bit of curtousey when using our waterways please no doubt you pee in the canal as well

i do believe ive met a few people like u before ignoramous . fortunately not evryone likes the same thing in life and thank god you obviously dont like fishing we are at least pleased about that . show a little bit of curtousey when using our waterways please no doubt you pee in the canal as well

Welcome to the forum Colin.

Can't work out if your post is tongue in cheek or not. I do hope so because if your twenty odd quid a year waterways tax makes them your waterways what does my £2.5k waterways tax entitle me to?

Edited by carlt

Can't work out if your post is tongue in cheek or not. I do hope so because if your twenty odd quid a year waterways tax makes them your waterways what does my £2.5k waterways tax entitle me to?

hi do u mean its ok to run rough shod over peoples belongings if they only pay 24 pounds a year to fish

hi do u mean its ok to run rough shod over peoples belongings if they only pay 24 pounds a year to fish

No I was referring to your demand that we be courteous in your waterways. If your equipment is damaged because it is where it shouldn't be, though, then it's your own fault.

It's not that easy to stop a boat at short notice and, in my experience, anglers are pretty adept at getting their tackle out of the way when a boat approaches.

I've never had a problem with anglers btw, like other sections of society that get over-criticised here, if you treat folk with respect it's usually reciprocated.

Edited by carlt

Quite right. If you look through this thread you will notice that there is not one complaint about people fishing. What there is is complaints about people inconsiderately interfering with others pleasure by for instance fishing, OR MOORING on lock landings. You will also find lots of discussion about how best to pass anglers with the least disruption to their sport. Members of this forum have even signed onto anglers forums in order to ask for clarification as to how to be an "angler friendly" boater. We're trying!

Aha, so that must have been directed at me, sorry i didn't notice initially since you did'nt quote any of the preceeding posts.

To answer - possibly, true, i do and i do. feel free to miss-interpret, make assumptions and ignore words as you wish.

Personally, i blame the angling clubs for not ensuring their members follow the rules or guidance published by BW.

To list my most observed angling indiscressions:

DO, Respect other waterway users. Try not to fish too close to marked winding holes or moorings which may need to be used by boaters.

DON'T, Leave rods unattended while fishing. It is poor angling practice as it may result in a hooked fish becoming snagged. It also increases the risk of birds becoming entangled in the line or taking the bait. If you need to leave your swim, retrieve all your lines and secure the hooks to the rod.

As published on the revamped Waterscape.

Then there is the Waterways Code that has not migrated onto waterscape yet but is far more specific:

Waterways Code

Which states (among repeating the other do's and don't's):

Boat crews need access to the bank within 25metres of locks and moveable bridges so do not fish there.

Boats are peoples homes so please respect their privacy, including those on the opposite bank. Try to fish at least 15metres away.

I do appologise for tarring all anglers with the same brush as the fisherprats/ignoramouses i have had encounters with, in life there will always be some people that spoil it for the rest. I've met some, my attitude to fishermen ignoring the rules and guidance is not going to improve. I'm not likely to enguage with the rule abiding, friendly, courteous ones as i don't need to ask them to move their keep net and gear from the lock landing/bridge landing/water point/winding hole.

I don't like my 2 year old picking up magots fired onto my front deck.

I don't like the match official drawing pegs outside my bedroom window on a sunday morning.

I don't like the roach pole tapping and scraping on the side of my boat.

And it's not just me these things happen to.

Ahhh, that feels better now. Rant over.

Simon.

sorry i wasnt really replying to 99% who r considerate of other people just the ones who know already who they r. I realise that the majority of people r good hearted and would not intend damage to others sport. i were just adding my 5p worth onest

sorry i wasnt really replying to 99% who r considerate of other people just the ones who know already who they r. I realise that the majority of people r good hearted and would not intend damage to others sport. i were just adding my 5p worth onest

Have 20 pence Colin - the rest of us do :D

Welcome to the forum!

after reading thru various links on the different forums here i am starting to get a bad feeling in my stomach, dont tie up and moor in the city centres especially by anglers, dont moor up in the country side where there are no people. most people would think that maybe the canal may not be the quiet haven that a few onlookers like myself would like to be part of i think maybe we should all " study to be quiet" as old izzac says.

When I crawled through a fishing competition along the Amington section of the Coventry at the week-end not only did most of the anglers say good morning but 4 (yes that's FOUR) of them actually thanked me for going slowly.It's not that I usually get any real abuse along this stretch, but the positive change in attitude was very noticeable. If any of them log in here then thanks guys, it does make a difference.Mike
well said mike
Fishing licence is £30, my BW licence was £700.
fishing licence 24 quid boat licence 500 quid manners free thank god for barclaycard
This thread is great :) I too have been moaned at by one of these sour faced, strange individuals for using a winding hole. He didnt take his rod out of the water and his line got snared up in my prop and snapped. I suggested he do like most other fisherman and lift his rod out of the water when a boat comes past. Swearing followed, not at me, but as if he was talking to someone else. eg "E's only taken me ******* line, aint he?"I enjoy fishing too by the way, my rod is always set up and ready to go. I would much rather go to a lake or something, but the cut is right on my doorstep. These canalside fisherman who think they have more right to be there than a Narrowboat with a Gold Licence, should have their dole money stopped.
i have found that when people are upset they tend to say things on the spur of the moment canal boats are very vunerable if you leave it unattended if people on boats go around looking for trouble i dare say they will find it. trouble is from that day on canal boats might be tarred with the same brush ,em, in that people will say "BLOODY CANAL BOATS" suppose if thats the way you want it then caay on reguardless colin

I don't recall any angling clubs making any kind of contribution to restoration other than some building staging from old pallets and other junk. They didn't bother clearing anything away when they finished with them.

On the Rochdale they actively opposed the restoration.

'They have paid to fish there', yes about 1% of what you are paying, and they expect someone else to clear away their rubbish.

trust me john i have belonged to many angling clubs over the years and all without fail have working parties to try and keep up on bank care.problems with rubbish shouldnt occur as we generally take our rubbish home with us a lot of clubs state that you must attend at least 1 or 2 working parties these days yes we once constructed the sixth bridge over the river severn amasinmg what club funds run to you know. and yes they do build strutchers , sorry about spellling, and if you have a few hours one day perhaps you can givem a hand

Although he's dredged up some old posts here, I have to agree with Colin on that one. All the clubs I belong to organise regular working parties to keep the banks clear, tidy and safe, whether it's on canals, stillwaters or rivers. Providing you're able bodied, you are expected to attend and help out. Every single club has very strict rules about leaving rubbish of any description, and many threaten instant withdrawal of your club card if you leave anything behind other than footprints.

If you're match fishing, if there's even a scrap of rubbish left on your peg - cigarette end, slip of paper with your peg no on etc, you are instantly disqualified from any match, and your catch won't be weighed. It doesn't matter if it was there when you started fishing - you are expected to clear it up. No excuses. If you lose some tackle in a snag, tree, bush etc, you are expected to report it to the bailiff, and it will be cleared as soon as possible.

Most responsible anglers wouldn't dream of leaving litter behind, in fact most of us consider ourselves guardians of our countryside. Whilst we're fishing, we're not just staring unthinkingly at a float - we're observing the wildlife, the countryside, and enjoying the peace and tranquility. Anglers are very often the first to notice any problems, such as a decline in water quality, and report it to the Environment Agency or the ACA.

If you visit any of the angling forums, the one consistent subject that comes up time and time again is that of rubbish. It annoys most of us just as much as it does you! I have seen men forcibly marched off our local lake for throwing empty tins into the bushes, and rightly so. I've even seen one member warned for taking a tin onto the lake. There's a strict rule about no tins, and he was seen with one in his tackle box. It wasn't opened, (it was left there from a previous trip) and he hadn't even taken it out of his bag, but he was warned for even having it.

Unfortunately, as ever, it's the minority who are causing the problems, people who aren't members of clubs, and haven't the brains or common sense to see the damage they can cause by being thoughtless and irresponsible pillocks! They aren't anglers. They're just idiots.

I'd suggest that if you find rubbish on the banks that is obviously angling related, then you try and find out which club leases the rights to that area, and report it to them. They all have bailiffs - if they're aware of a problem, they can try and do something about it.

As for fishing on lock landings, which was brought up earlier - unfortunately that's a very good area to fish because of the structure and the oxygenated water! I do it myself, but if there's a boat coming through, I make sure that my rod's out of the water, and I don't impede them in any way. I think it helps that I'm also a boater, as I can see it from both perspectives, so I try and get myself well out of their way. I know how intimidating a grumpy angler can look when you're on a boat!

I got my anglers "Code of Conduct" guide from my local tackle shop. Unfortunately, when you buy a rod licence these days, that's all you get - just your licence. You don't get any other information, so many new anglers aren't aware of exactly what the etiquette is, and although it's blindingly obvious to us boaters, it's not necessarily so to someone who isn't familiar with our waterways or boat handling. The information is all freely available on the EA or BW websites, but it seems that some people don't bother to read it.

It's time that every rod licence was also accompanied by a decent guide to good conduct, instead of leaving it to people to find it out for themselves. Perhaps we should go down the same route as Germany, and introduce an exam before an angling licence was issued?

Janet

Obviously i'm sure the fisherman will have an issue, but i've just taken my 3' iron tiller bar off to polish, but just remembered the polish is at the front. :)

simon.

Never had the confidence to do that at the time as it was only the second time we had been boating.

Would do that now.

Hi all.

Why do most anglers look so b****y miserable, if they are dong what they enjoy ??????????? I'm not just going on their appearance when you go by on the boat, but almost anytime they seem the same. I reckon about 20% are pleasant and outgoing, another 10% will nod if you catch their eye --- but after that !! I did have one extraordinary experience however going over the Rochdale. Can't remember which lock, but it's a pretty new one and as I approached the gates to do the paddles I could see a line of about ten anglers just beyond the lock. As I started winding the paddle, a couple of them started making their way across and, I must admit, the hackles started rising as I was getting ready for the usual 'boats spoiling our fishing' speech, etc. Not a bit of it --- they came to say that they had never been there when a boat had gone through the lock and were interested to see how it all worked. In the end, nearly all of them were lined up alongside watching the process and you really couldn't have wished for a nicer bunch of guys.

Is it my imagination, or is it the case that the further South you go, there are a much bigger proportion of anglers out with their wives? Don't seem to see it much Midlands Northwards, but it seemed noticeable to me heading down towards London.

Mike.

Is it my imagination, or is it the case that the further South you go, there are a much bigger proportion of anglers out with their wives? Don't seem to see it much Midlands Northwards, but it seemed noticeable to me heading down towards London.

Mike.

According to my old man these blokes go fishing to get away from their wives - so why do they look miserable? Personally being a northern lass I;d rather watch paint dry than go fishing. There were2 fishing matches on Saturday on the T&M - the first lot were fine, the second lot a right bunch of miseries. When I asked if they got fed up with all the boats going past one bloke replied that the boats were tiresome and should be stopped when there was a match going on. There were also plenty of joggers and bikers out too so I rather think patience was running a little thin. Me - I just smiled and wished them luck with the match (then had a quiet giggle to myself) - you'd think they'd pick a stretch of canal that ws not quite so busy - or is that just woman logic :smiley_offtopic:

Edited by tillergirl