colecraft steel thickness??

foxhound_mike

Featured Posts

[quote name='Byeckerslike' date

such elevated and revered marques as; National / Russell Newberry, Gardiner, Perkins, Bolinder, Armstrong Siddeley and Lister Petter

Evidently you do not revere them much - Russell Newbery and Gardner are spelt like that, and a Lister Petter is a modern engine. I wonder why you put Jonathan Wilson's tug-style boats above those of other well-thought of builders such as Steve Hudson and Roger Fuller? Perhaps you have an unpleasant marina neighbour who happens to own a Wilson?

I don't think there's much difference between wanting the nicest boat you can afford and, as many people do, wanting the nicest car you can afford - many people aspire to a BMW, Jaguar or Subaru, even though it will take them only to the same places as a Ford Mondeo or (Heaven forfend) a Kia. It's human nature to want the best, though each person's idea of what is "best" will of course vary.

Any type or make of boat can give pleasure to its owner, though some are suited to different types of use: For instance, Phylis and Oh's craft is probably ideal for (fairly) fast travel on rivers which have a strong flow. We have a 45-foot tug style narrowboat which offers comfortable holiday cruising for the two of us. It's from a good, and not especially cheap, builder, but that doesn't stop me admiring a Springer when it passes - indeed I have just bought one!

If there is snobbery on the waterways, in my experience the worst culprits are the owners of long, expensive modern narrowboats, which often appear to have the engine governed so that their speed can never drop below four-and-a-half miles per hour, but who strongly deny this when told so.

I have no idea why you think that. When I was connected with the body design people in the car industry they were becoming more and more ambitious in what they could press and demanded higher quality results with improved repeatability. There's no way that they could achieve that by having steel that was getting worse with time rather than better.

Ah, but you didn't work for Ford..... :lol:

Ah, but you didn't work for Ford..... :lol:

Yeah, but I did!

It took me three years to escape from Halewood (with redundancy) and into the wide open space. After only one year in self-employment, I'd seen more of the UK than in my 23 years cocooned in the Ford Factory :lol: .

Mike

such elevated and revered marques as; National / Russell Newberry, Gardiner, Perkins, Bolinder, Armstrong Siddeley and Lister Petter

Evidently you do not revere them much - Russell Newbery and Gardner are spelt like that, and a Lister Petter is a modern engine. I wonder why you put Jonathan Wilson's tug-style boats above those of other well-thought of builders such as Steve Hudson and Roger Fuller? Perhaps you have an unpleasant marina neighbour who happens to own a Wilson?

I don't think there's much difference between wanting the nicest boat you can afford and, as many people do, wanting the nicest car you can afford - many people aspire to a BMW, Jaguar or Subaru, even though it will take them only to the same places as a Ford Mondeo or (Heaven forfend) a Kia. It's human nature to want the best, though each person's idea of what is "best" will of course vary.

Any type or make of boat can give pleasure to its owner, though some are suited to different types of use: For instance, Phylis and Oh's craft is probably ideal for (fairly) fast travel on rivers which have a strong flow. We have a 45-foot tug style narrowboat which offers comfortable holiday cruising for the two of us. It's from a good, and not especially cheap, builder, but that doesn't stop me admiring a Springer when it passes - indeed I have just bought one!

If there is snobbery on the waterways, in my experience the worst culprits are the owners of long, expensive modern narrowboats, which often appear to have the engine governed so that their speed can never drop below four-and-a-half miles per hour, but who strongly deny this when told so.

As we've strayed off topic and on to this one, I'd like to say that all the time before we had a vintage engine (let alone a historic boat), even when we had tupperware, we met no snobbery at all from people who did have 'vintage' engines - probably because we showed an interest and didn't have a chip on our shoulder.

As we've strayed off topic and on to this one, I'd like to say that all the time before we had a vintage engine (let alone a historic boat), even when we had tupperware, we met no snobbery at all from people who did have 'vintage' engines - probably because we showed an interest and didn't have a chip on our shoulder.

Funny but that is what we have found as well.

Back on topic: Mr. Foxhound, our first narrowboat was built in 1989 but by a much lesser builder: Atlas Boats (who they?) Its original plating thickness was 6/5/3. During our three years with her, we managed to bump into even more things than we do now, and the boat always felt solid - only a slight flexing if we walked on the roof gave a clue to the light plating. ColeCraft were, as a more upmarket builder, doubtless using rather thicker plating in that year: 8/6/4 would be a fair guesstimate. So if the boat passes its survey, buy with confidence.

Hi, No, I wish to confirm that all my neighbors (past and present), have been fine, friendly and agreeable, and hopefully, they had/have the same opinion of me. I covet no other boat, I must admit that I have found a couple of TBC equipped trad stern NB's to be very friendly and helpful, we have worked flights of locks together and even enjoyed meals and drinks together afterwards. But these are very rare, happily recalled occasions.

By the way, Kia are making some very gOod vehicles now, they have come a long way in a short time, just keep an eye on Suzuki, now they have become partially owned by VAG!

Rob

, just keep an eye on Suzuki, now they have become partially owned by VAG!

But why would a maker of sexual enhancement pills wish to buy a car company? :lol:

The Kias I have seen tend to have had a style bypass, but they may be efficient and reliable for all I know.

Edited by Athy

That's a coincidence Tony - my 1991 Colecraft built for Wessex Narrowboats measured between 9.7 and 10.4 when last surveyed in 2005.

My 1991 Colecraft built hull was a 'standard' 10/6/4 so it seems likely that all built around this time were the same

Would be an idea to ring Sam or Dom Cole at Colecraft to see if they have a record of the boat and what thickness it was built with ?

But why would a maker of sexual enhancement pills wish to buy a car company? :lol:

The Kias I have seen tend to have had a style bypass, but they may be efficient and reliable for all I know.

VAG = Volkswagen Audi Group (including Porsche, Seat, Skoda and Suzuki)

Next group consists of all other narrow boats, followed by tupperwares.

I have witnessed this snobbery far too often, it sticks in my craw and I hate it. Why can not folk just get on together, enjoy one another's company and simply say hello, instead of finding something wrong with their stern gear when they have the displeasure of avoiding dialogue with other canal users!

Rob

Snobbery? You mean like calling GRP boats "tupperware"? :lol:

My 1991 Colecraft built hull was a 'standard' 10/6/4 so it seems likely that all built around this time were the same

Would be an idea to ring Sam or Dom Cole at Colecraft to see if they have a record of the boat and what thickness it was built with ?

I meant the coincidence was that both '91 boats were not just 10mm as billed, but actually in excess of it. What about yours?

I think one of the essential features is that like most other quality boatbuilders of the time Colecraft would build whatever thickness the customer asked for (within sensible limits of course). Most boats were bespoke builds then.

Sorry, but you are wrong on that one, Rolls Royce are owned by B.M.W.

Bentley are owned by V.A.G. I had forgot that one!

Rob

Sorry but YOU are wrong...... All that BMW have is a licence to use the name Rolls Royce.

Rolls-Royce Motors was bought by VAG on 28 July 1998 from then owners, Vickers. Volkswagen Group got the factory, work in progress, stock and the workforce. They also got the "Spirit of Ecstasy" mascot and the trademark rights to the shape of the radiator grille. The only thing they didn't get was the rights to use the name and the RR insignia, which wasn't Vickers to sell.

BMW purchased, from Rolls Royce PLC, a licence to use the name Rolls Royce but lacked rights to the grille and mascot associated with the marque. After negotiations, BMW and Volkswagen Group arrived at a compromise solution and Rolls Royce Motors was renamed Bentley Motors.

Sorry but YOU are wrong...... All that BMW have is a licence to use the name Rolls Royce.

Rolls-Royce Motors was bought by VAG on 28 July 1998 from then owners, Vickers. Volkswagen Group got the factory, work in progress, stock and the workforce. They also got the "Spirit of Ecstasy" mascot and the trademark rights to the shape of the radiator grille. The only thing they didn't get was the rights to use the name and the RR insignia, which wasn't Vickers to sell.

BMW purchased, from Rolls Royce PLC, a licence to use the name Rolls Royce but lacked rights to the grille and mascot associated with the marque. After negotiations, BMW and Volkswagen Group arrived at a compromise solution and Rolls Royce Motors was renamed Bentley Motors.

There is a bit of complication that precedes that to do with the collaboration of Rolls-Royce aero engines and BMW in the design of an engine in Germany. IIRC that had something to do with the rights of BMW to the Rolls badge too.

Richard

I was working for Rover/BMW at that time

There is a bit of complication that precedes that to do with the collaboration of Rolls-Royce aero engines and BMW in the design of an engine in Germany. IIRC that had something to do with the rights of BMW to the Rolls badge too.

And of course that BMW were supplying car engines to Rolls Royce Motors at the time.

I don't wan't to split hairs, but to all intents, purposes and agreements, VAG market/manufacture Bentley's, Bentley spares and old model Rolls Royce spares and BMW solely manufacture new model Rolls Royces.

Regards,

Rob

I don't wan't to split hairs, but to all intents, purposes and agreements, VAG market/manufacture Bentley's, Bentley spares and old model Rolls Royce spares and BMW solely manufacture new model Rolls Royces.

Regards,

Rob

This is true. VAG own the Rolls-Royce car factory in Crewe where they make Bentleys, BMW own a new factory at Goodwood where they make Rolls-Royce cars, and Rolls-Royce PLC own the Rolls-Royce name.

Confusing, isn't it...

Richard

BMW also own a variety of car names like Riley and Cooper and build Mini's in the Morris factory in Cowley where Rovers used to be built...

Edited by RLWP

Regards,

Rob

But, what about the thickness of their hulls? :lol: