Where to next?

ncpierce

Featured Posts

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

After having a quick look on the net, and writing a bit of a short list, we are thinking of probably hiring a boat from Norbury Wharf (Sovereign Lady) and heading up to Cheshire and Ellesmere Port. Has anyone got any views on there boats or the boatyard?

I really want to take the boat from Braidbar but with us requiring a 2+1+1 for my parents, nan and myself a 2+2 is not going to work - maybe next time!

Thanks

Nigel

After having a quick look on the net, and writing a bit of a short list, we are thinking of probably hiring a boat from Norbury Wharf (Sovereign Lady) and heading up to Cheshire and Ellesmere Port. Has anyone got any views on there boats or the boatyard?

I really want to take the boat from Braidbar but with us requiring a 2+1+1 for my parents, nan and myself a 2+2 is not going to work - maybe next time!

Thanks

Nigel

Our shared ownership boat is based at Norbury. It's a nice place with very friendly staff. Never looked closely at the hire boats, but they always look smart from the outside. The run up to Cheshire on the Shroppie is very pleasant, with a good mix of the Shroppie's embankments and cuttings, and enough locks to keep you busy.

Incidentally, with the amount of hiring you do, have you never thought about shared ownership? Obviously buying the share requires putting some money in up front (although the amount varies a lot depending on the age of the boat), but after that it's much cheaper than hiring. Our annual running costs are less than a week's hire, and we get at least three weeks a year, and usually manage five or six.

Our shared ownership boat is based at Norbury. It's a nice place with very friendly staff. Never looked closely at the hire boats, but they always look smart from the outside. The run up to Cheshire on the Shroppie is very pleasant, with a good mix of the Shroppie's embankments and cuttings, and enough locks to keep you busy.

Incidentally, with the amount of hiring you do, have you never thought about shared ownership? Obviously buying the share requires putting some money in up front (although the amount varies a lot depending on the age of the boat), but after that it's much cheaper than hiring. Our annual running costs are less than a week's hire, and we get at least three weeks a year, and usually manage five or six.

I think I need to convince my parents to buy a share on one of the ownerships new Tug boats!!! :lol:

Thanks for the reply.

Nigel

Is that the one, or one of the ones, which has a Rigas Dizelis engine? I know they installed a couple of them in midships engine rooms in the Challenger fleet. As an ex- Rigas owner, I would comment:

1) they're lovely

2) do not expect to be able to hold a conversation with anyone at the pointy end of the boat, or even on the towpath, when they're running. Whispergen they are not!

I believe it may well be, though now it's had rather than has. Middlewich junked it when they bought the boat and fitted, IIRC, a Lister. We hired Larch for a week about 15 months ago. I've previously hired their 'Maple' on several occasions.

Middlewich boat 'Willow' was built by Ivybridge Marine aka Roger Farrington and is the best swimming boat I have ever steered with the exception of Auriga ( Star class Woolwich) when in deep water. Willow could be steered with one finger and would go anywhere with ease. If I were ever to want a boat building I'd be asking Roger to build me one to match her. The engine was an SR3 when we last hired. I understand that they have made all their boats gas free.

Another place for trad boats is Union Canal Carriers.

I agree with Alan that trad controls can be handful for beginners but with a little practice they can be mastered. I prefer them to single lever ones.

Thanks

Nigel

I have never hired from Norbury but have had work done on my boat there in the past and have always found them to be very professional.

We have a semi-trad (Genevieve) which coincidentally, like Larch (which I have also holidayed on), was fitted out by Blue Haven Marine

Strumble is seriously cute !

A totally unbiased view of course. :lol:

Think out of the tin box. Take a week on the broads cruising the rivers and then wonder what the fasination with canals and tubes was :lol:

Quick tip though, hire slightly out of season, not only is it cheaper but it is also much quieter.

Think out of the tin box. Take a week on the broads cruising the rivers and then wonder what the fasination with canals and tubes was :lol:

Quick tip though, hire slightly out of season, not only is it cheaper but it is also much quieter.

Been there - done that.

Had a week in a plastic bath tub on the broads and found it really dull and boring. Nothing to do but potter along at 4mph an hour. Also had to pay for moorings and to fill up the boat with water. Highlight of the trip was some choppy water on the way back across Bredon Water.

Holidays are limited by term time as my sister and brother-in-law are both teachers and my Mum looks after the children. Luckily brother-in-law teaches at a posh private school so his holidays start earlier allowing us to go early(ish) July.

Nigel

Been there - done that.

Had a week in a plastic bath tub on the broads and found it really dull and boring. Nothing to do but potter along at 4mph an hour. Also had to pay for moorings and to fill up the boat with water. Highlight of the trip was some choppy water on the way back across Bredon Water.

Must try harder. Really there is loads to do on the broads and the majority of moorings are free.

If the broads isnt your thing try any of the other rivers. Much more interesting than the canals plus some flowing water to brighten things up a little :lol:

Have you thought about setting up a www.broadsworld.net forum, (ow www.riversworld.net ??), and trying to attract people over there who are of a like frame of mind ?

As I've tried to say many times before, you've an uphill struggle here to persuade all the narrow-boaters that their canals are the rubbish you make them out to be!

Half my roots are in Norfolk - my mother was born there, distant ancestors were Wherrymen, and the Broads indeed look lovely - in small doses!

However, the Broads need a few features like proper locks, aqueducts, tunnels, cuttings, embankments and major cities, (and many, many less boats!), before they have a prayer of competing with canals for sustained interest. :lol:

Have you thought about setting up a www.broadsworld.net forum, (ow www.riversworld.net ??), and trying to attract people over there who are of a like frame of mind ?

As I've tried to say many times before, you've an uphill struggle here to persuade all the narrow-boaters that their canals are the rubbish you make them out to be!

Half my roots are in Norfolk - my mother was born there, distant ancestors were Wherrymen, and the Broads indeed look lovely - in small doses!

However, the Broads need a few features like proper locks, aqueducts, tunnels, cuttings, embankments and major cities, (and many, many less boats!), before they have a prayer of competing with canals for sustained interest. :lol:

Maybe not. They seem quite apt at bemoaning them :lol:

• 1 year later...

Me again!

OK another year has passed.

Summer 2010 was spent on a boat from Norbury Wharf, Sovereign Lady (trad stern) down to Ellesmere Port and back again. Even managed to collect some firewood and had a couple of fires - did mean sleeping one night with the front doors partially open to try and cool the boat down

We have a trip booked just before Easter heading East from Devizes on the Kennet and Avon. But we do not have a trip sorted out for the Summer.

Requirements are the same last year, semi-trad / trad stern, room for 3 doubles or 2 doubles and a single and ideally somewhere we haven't been before.

I quite fancy heading back on the Trent following our last trip that way in 1998 but am struggling to find a boat.

TIA

Nigel

To date we have done the following:-

1996 - Leighton Buzzard to Braunston (rtn) - Wyvern Shipping (1week)

1998 - Leicester Ring - Wyvern Shipping (2weeks)

2002 - Leighton Buzzard to Braunston (rtn) - Wyvern Shipping (1week)

2003 - Langollen - Black Prince (1week)

2004 - Devizes to Keynsham - Foxhangers Boats (1week)

2005 - Warwickshire Ring - Valley Cruisers (1week)

2006 - Cheshire Ring - Carefree Crusing (Elton Moss) (1week)

2007 - Four Counties Ring - Challenger (1week)

2008 - Warwick to Banbury - Kate Boats (1week)

2009 - Leighton Buzzard to Gayton Junction - Wyvern Shipping (4days)

2009 - Black Country Ring - Teddesley Boats (1week)

2010 - Leighton Buzzard to Berkhamstead - Wyvern Shipping(4days)

2010 - Norbury Junction to Ellesmere Port - Norbury Wharf (1week)

2011 - Devizes to Newbury(ish) - Foxhangers (1week)

2011- ?????

Hi,

I have been boating on and off for the past 13years with my family. To date we have done the following:-

1996 - Leighton Buzzard to Braunston (rtn) - Wyvern Shipping (1week)

1998 - Leicester Ring - Wyvern Shipping (2weeks)

2002 - Leighton Buzzard to Braunston (rtn) - Wyvern Shipping (1week)

2003 - Langollen - Black Prince (1week)

2004 - Devizes to Keynsham - Foxhangers Boats (1week)

2005 - Warwickshire Ring - Valley Cruisers (1week)

2006 - Cheshire Ring - Carefree Crusing (Elton Moss) (1week)

2007 - Four Counties Ring - Challenger (1week)

2008 - Warwick to Banbury - Kate Boats (1week)

2009 - Leighton Buzzard to Gayton Junction - Wyvern Shipping (4days)

2009 - Black Country Ring - Teddesley Boats (1week)

We have a trip booked for Easter 2010 heading south from Leighton Buzzard with my sister and nieces but we need an idea of where to go for a week in the summer.

Ideally we would prefer a semi-trad, or trad layout (not a huge fan of cruiser sterns) as they provide vague shelter when the weather is not too good - typical British summer. The "best" boat we have had was Spirit of Georgia - 66ft tug from Challenger with the engine room, back cabin and trad engine controls.

So where do we go next? and from which boatyard???

TIA

Nigel

The Pennines Rochdale or L&L.

Would recommend Shire Cruisers who have a number of semi trad stern boats.

Best hire company we have been with tbh

• 2 weeks later...