BOAT IS SINKING AGAIN!!!

boatbot

Featured Posts

I have contacted hillmortonboats@aol.com-

hopefully I will be told whats going on-I need information at this stage.

I know it's quite pricey but I wouldn't rely on an email address getting answered in Christmas week.

Either ring them on the landline or text them on the number Sue has.

And keep us informed please.

I know it's quite pricey but I wouldn't rely on an email address getting answered in Christmas week.

Either ring them on the landline or text them on the number Sue has.

And keep us informed please.

I agree. For something as critical as this I would never rely on email regardless of whether it's Christmas or not. I would like to speak to someone so that I know that the message has been received.

You just said what I was thinking when I was reading the thread.

The other option would be to get someone to fix the problem by preventing the ingress of water in the first place.

I am not that far away and will be going to our own boat at wigrams tomorrow so I may pop up and have a look. The problem being is that I don't have any suitable pumps to take or means to power them. As I recall from Carl's visit he said the bilges were very oily and so I am not sure I want to be mucking about pumping out oily water and disposing of it.

If u could take a look that would be good-thanks for your help.

Email/ carrier pigeon, you seem to have what we call modern living stuff like internet maybe you have what they call a phoneline, so type in yell.com find marina number and ring them, cos if not by the time you have got intouch with anyone the titanic would have gone down sooner...

Email/ carrier pigeon, you seem to have what we call modern living stuff like internet maybe you have what they call a phoneline, so type in yell.com find marina number and ring them, cos if not by the time you have got intouch with anyone the titanic would have gone down sooner...

If you had read this thread you would see that Boatbot has been given the phone number of the yard twice.

Sue

Yes thanks Sue-Dave has been informed and I do know him as he worked on the injectors a year ago-I am very worried and it is now 3AM

i have read this thread but i was making a point, why if your boat is sinking cos bw have told you that, if it was an emergency that your boat is sinking would you firstly boot up your pc and come to this forum to solve the problem, oh and it was sinking not too long ago, so obviously something is wrong so the first time it was sinking there must have been a reason for this, so solve the problem or it maybe sinking 6 times per year, if its the batteries going flat have them replaced or have a local marina to pop around and have a check or even charge them for you...at the end of the day you will be better paying for the problem fixing or its gunna be another sunken boat for us all to pass for many years to come....

i have read this thread but i was making a point, why if your boat is sinking cos bw have told you that, if it was an emergency that your boat is sinking would you firstly boot up your pc and come to this forum to solve the problem, oh and it was sinking not too long ago, so obviously something is wrong so the first time it was sinking there must have been a reason for this, so solve the problem or it maybe sinking 6 times per year, if its the batteries going flat have them replaced or have a local marina to pop around and have a check or even charge them for you...at the end of the day you will be better paying for the problem fixing or its gunna be another sunken boat for us all to pass for many years to come....

I was ASSURED by the boat behind that it was OK and it is just rainwater geting into the engine compartment-What I will do is to have it checked out by the boatyard and I will then implement a stradegy to not let this happen again-As I said If I was on the round it wouldn't have happened-I will be back in april for good so I will get the boat working and restored-meanwhile I will get someone to look after her till then as best we can --

I was ASSURED by the boat behind that it was OK and it is just rainwater geting into the engine compartment-What I will do is to have it checked out by the boatyard and I will then implement a stradegy to not let this happen again-As I said If I was on the round it wouldn't have happened-I will be back in april for good so I will get the boat working and restored-meanwhile I will get someone to look after her till then as best we can --

I think that that is fair. With Boatbot in Australia and his boat in the UK he has to rely on hearsay to determine whether his boat is safe. If the boat near him had told him that things were OK he can't be expected to phone around other people to confirm this, it's fair for him to assume that the information that he's received is correct. Lesson learned - take what the boat near him tells him with a pinch of salt!

They have probably contacted boatbot because the license isn't clearly visible since it's underwater!

Norty, norty!

The last time that this boat was sinking, as the mutual backslapping went on for what a helpful forum we are (after Carl went out of his way to offer assistance), I decided that I could manage without the vitriol of the wishy-washy tendency, and elected NOT to mention that the boat that Carl saved didn't actually have a licence.

As nobody in the UK has keys for the boat, one assumes that whilst it does now have a licence, it still isn't displayed.

Despite the way some would paint me, I do like to try and give people the benefit of the doubt, but with this latest incident, I find it more difficult to accept that the OP is doing anything other than taking members of this forum for mugs.

To ask for help in an emergency is one thing. To leave the boat such that the same emergency is going to happen again, and rely upon others leaping into action simply isn't on.

Looking at the OP's posting history, I note that prior to these emergencies, his previous posts concerned trying to evict a former friend who was "squatting" on the boat, and not heeding the advice that he was given then, preferring, instead to urge members to come up with other solutions.

It appears to me that the OP looking for a free ride. He wants other people to sort out his squabbles with his friends, he wants other people to sort out his boat free gratis, and he wants to avoid paying his licence.

I think that that is fair. With Boatbot in Australia and his boat in the UK he has to rely on hearsay to determine whether his boat is safe. If the boat near him had told him that things were OK he can't be expected to phone around other people to confirm this, it's fair for him to assume that the information that he's received is correct. Lesson learned - take what the boat near him tells him with a pinch of salt!

He is a good fellow-but something has gone wrong I am afraid-We have been trying to get back to the boat earlier but we couldn't-I will see how bad it is and then I will have to get something in place so this wont happen again-I feel VERY bad about this-I will get the boat checked more often atleast every two weeks-i feel the boating community is fantastic but maybe I am not ready for this and I am thinking of taking her out of the water and going back to dryland(abit icy) as the stress has been too much-I feel quite tired at the moment but I will have to review my life on the canals after this....

Norty, norty!

The last time that this boat was sinking, as the mutual backslapping went on for what a helpful forum we are (after Carl went out of his way to offer assistance), I decided that I could manage without the vitriol of the wishy-washy tendency, and elected NOT to mention that the boat that Carl saved didn't actually have a licence.

As nobody in the UK has keys for the boat, one assumes that whilst it does now have a licence, it still isn't displayed.

Despite the way some would paint me, I do like to try and give people the benefit of the doubt, but with this latest incident, I find it more difficult to accept that the OP is doing anything other than taking members of this forum for mugs.

To ask for help in an emergency is one thing. To leave the boat such that the same emergency is going to happen again, and rely upon others leaping into action simply isn't on.

Looking at the OP's posting history, I note that prior to these emergencies, his previous posts concerned trying to evict a former friend who was "squatting" on the boat, and not heeding the advice that he was given then, preferring, instead to urge members to come up with other solutions.

It appears to me that the OP looking for a free ride. He wants other people to sort out his squabbles with his friends, he wants other people to sort out his boat free gratis, and he wants to avoid paying his licence.

That is totally not true-at all I am grateful for ANY assistance and the boat is licensed but I am not there to put the stcickers on-I have had ALOT of problems on the canals including breaking in and money stolen so U see maybe I should not do it-If noone wants to help me OK I have family who could-once I am back I will need no help and i will go back down or remove the boat altogetherr so u wont have to bother to anyone-even though I am disapointed with this post I still hold the canal community in hi regard-I never dreamn't it was this hard or expensive! I am fairly new to it-I am not an "OP" i am a very distressed and thoughtfull person that would not do what u say. Sorry to be a nuisance...

That is totally not true-at all I am grateful for ANY assistance and the boat is licensed but I am not there to put the stcickers on-I have had ALOT of problems on the canals including breaking in and money stolen so U see maybe I should not do it-If noone wants to help me OK I have family who could-once I am back I will need no help and i will go back down or remove the boat altogetherr so u wont have to bother to anyone-even though I am disapointed with this post I still hold the canal community in hi regard-I never dreamn't it was this hard or expensive! I am fairly new to it-I am not an "OP" i am a very distressed and thoughtfull person that would not do what u say. Sorry to be a nuisance...

OP means Original Poster so isn't mutually exclusive to being a 'distressed and thoughtful person'.

My advice...make no decisions now, get back here to the UK and then decide. You are complicating a process somewhat by being so far away and things will probably seem much easier once you are on site.

Which bit of it is not true?

• The bit about you wanting the members of this forum to sort out your squabbles with a friend who was squatting on your boat?
  • The FACT that at the time when Carl went out of his way to check up on your boat, it was unlicenced (not just failing to display a licence, it had not been licenced)
  • The bit about you having done nothing to prevent the problems happening again?

Sorry if you don't like it, but your own posts paint you as a freeloader.

OP means Original Poster so isn't mutually exclusive to being a 'distressed and thoughtful person'.

My advice...make no decisions now, get back here to the UK and then decide. You are complicating a process somewhat by being so far away and things will probably seem much easier once you are on site.

oK Fair enough-I am extremely upset at the moment and I feel so helpless sitting here 4OClock in the morning!

Ignore the negative, consider the positive :lol:

Good luck with sorting it all out.

Boy some people can be really nasty-I just need a hand at the moment and YES I have had problems but now I am back with my family we are sorting things out and I have under estimated the canals and how difficult it is-in fact BW hadn't heard of anyone having so much trouble-I will need to be orgainised including BW requirements-I was actually ill over October with kidney stones so I was in hospital ands being so far away isn't easy and I wont do this again-

oK Fair enough-I am extremely upset at the moment and I feel so helpless sitting here 4OClock in the morning!

As others have said, it sounds like someone needs to look after your boat on a regular basis. Your boat isn't unique in that respect - most boats require regular attention. Not neccessarily pumping out, just that someone needs to be looking at them on a daily or weekly basis.

On my boat the stern gland is currently watertight and it takes a torrential downpour to overwhelm the gutters beneath my cruiser stern deckboards, which then only leads to a small puddle in the engine space. Even so, I would only be happy leaving it unattended for more than a couple of months if I was on shore power with the batteries on float charge. No matter what kind of bilge pump you install, eventually the pump will flatten the batteries or they will just self-discharge so that when the pump is needed it wont work.

If yours is a cruiser stern I'd consider putting strips of duct tape between the deckboards and the deck and using the tape anywhere else that the water is getting in.

Edited by blackrose

As others have said, it sounds like someone needs to look after your boat on a regular basis. Your boat isn't unique in that respect - most boats require regular attention. Not neccessarily pumping out, just that someone needs to be looking at them on a daily or weekly basis.

On my boat the stern gland is currently watertight and it takes a torrential downpour to overwhelm the gutters beneath my cruiser stern deckboards, which then only leads to a small puddle in the engine space. Even so, I would only be happy leaving it unattended for more than a couple of months if I was on shore power with the batteries on float charge. No matter what kind of bilge pump you install, eventually the pump will flatten the batteries or they will just self-discharge so that when the pump is needed it wont work.

If yours is a cruiser stern I'd consider putting strips of duct tape between the deckboards and the deck and using it anywhere else that the water is getting in.

Thats what i should have done-I should have sealed the compartment-I did cover with taurpalin but it must have shifted with the weather-its is a cruiser stern quite a big one-the gutters would be overflowing into te compartment-has it really rained that much?

Thats what i should have done-I should have sealed the compartment-I did cover with taurpalin but it must have shifted with the weather-its is a cruiser stern quite a big one-the gutters would be overflowing into te compartment-has it really rained that much?

I'm not familiar with the area you boat is moored, but we've had a bit of snow (quite a lot in some places). If it collected and then melted quickly it could have contributed. We're due for some more this weekend I think.

Everything is easy with hindsight and your health has exacerbated the risk of leaving a boat for an extended period, If you now have someone involved who has a vested business interest in looking after it for you i,m sure it wont happen again, it must be frustrating being at the other side of the planet with major stuff going on at home. Hope your health is improving and you make it back to blighty soon :lol: