And the temperature outside is ...........

wirren

Featured Posts

Warming up here on the north east coast - major problems on the un-treated roads (again) in Redcar & Cleveland this lunchtime but I had a crew to push me home.

Warm enough to see a substantial amount gone by the morning - hope its the same where you guys are.

Warming up here on the north east coast - major problems on the un-treated roads (again) in Redcar & Cleveland this lunchtime but I had a crew to push me home.

Warm enough to see a substantial amount gone by the morning - hope its the same where you guys are.

Us hillbillies are happed up, send ships send big ships. :lol:

left here(Berkhamstead) at 5pm with no ice, just got back after driving through snow in Northamptonshire, and the canal has completely iced over now. It's minus 3 and tommorows cruise already looks to be a no go.

The bit I'm struggling with a tad - (aside from getting from A to B at times) is how different the weather forecasts are.

The met office's one which I check on-line was very different from the BBC one on TV for today for this area (TS12), this was way different from the met office's offering - and I thought they all originated from there.

Perhaps no wonder that the councils don't know whether to kick the gritters into action or not... :lol:

Edited by MJG

The bit I'm struggling with a tad - (aside from getting from A to B at times) is how different the weather forecasts are.

The met office's one which I check on-line was very different from the BBC one on TV for today for this area (TS12), this was way different from the met office's offering - and I thought they all originated from there.

Perhaps no wonder that the councils don't know whether to kick the gritters into action or not... :lol:

I think the gritter thing is down to money, They will be out on sunday night so we can all get to work on monday and fill the government coffers :lol:

I think the gritter thing is down to money, They will be out on sunday night so we can all get to work on monday and fill the government coffers :lol:

I think your right - today's excuse will I'm sure be - we only grit bus/public transport routes

- guess what, we had no buses running today (new Years day) so that got then off the hook.

left here(Berkhamstead) at 5pm with no ice, just got back after driving through snow in Northamptonshire, and the canal has completely iced over now. It's minus 3 and tommorows cruise already looks to be a no go.

For what it's worth, as posted elsewhere, we spent last night on board in the middle of the Seabrook locks, so not very far up from Berko at all.

We had been studiously looking at BBC and other weather forecasts for several days, trying to look for a window of opportunity for New Year boating, without ending iced in somewhere.

Last night looked promising as both BBC and MetCheck were promising just "minus 1" overnight. The reality was "minus 6", and we awoke to find a thin but pretty continuous skin of newly formed ice.

In fact, after waiting a few hours, we did get in an excellent (if short) days boating.....

Details here

..... but as the ice was very slow to break up, the strong likelihood is of a thick covering in many places on the Herts/Beds/Bucks borders, even if it only reaches what the forecasts say, let alone if it goes several degrees colder.

Sadly we didn't head off for an overnight stop further away, as we really haven't got the time to get iced in, and instead crept back onto our home mooring at around dusk. The amount of ice we had to scrape from the car didn't bode well for tonight.

Current BBC overnight predictions....

Tonight -3

Saturday -4

Sunday -7

Hi all,

I was minding my own business on Grace a couple of days ago, when a narrowboat cracked and crunched it's way past through 2" ice.

As the steerer came alongside me, he offered the following explanation for his difficult journey.

"It's amazing how much trouble you will go to for a decent shit!"

Clearly he was headed for the pump out facilities at Whaley Bridge.

Rob

allan,

we got back from a bbc reported 'balmy' +3 deg c on the banks of the thames for the fireworks last night (it was -2.5) and it snowed as we fought our way past a bottle littered trafalgar square.

By the time we got back to Berko at 2.30 am it was -4.5 degc.

There is no point looking at general weather forecasting, look for more local info and watch the wind'cloud cover yourself, like the old buggers used to.

Hi all,

I was minding my own business on Grace a couple of days ago, when a narrowboat cracked and crunched it's way past through 2" ice.

As the steerer came alongside me, he offered the following explanation for his difficult journey.

"It's amazing how much trouble you will go to for a decent shit!"

Clearly he was headed for the pump out facilities at Whaley Bridge.

Rob

May have to do that myself come the weekend... ah such is boat life

WW

I think your right - today's excuse will I'm sure be - we only grit bus/public transport routes

- guess what, we had no buses running today (new Years day) so that got then off the hook.

Even then they did not grit some of my routes. Eastbourne Borough Council was great - sent gritters where I asked for them, but East sussex were bloody useless. A road which is the major bus route from Hailsham to Eastbourne they refused to grit even though it meant I had to pull the buses from that area because of iced roads!! Oh, well, roll on early retirement!!!!

K