DVD players for on board

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Hi Guys, I know I can rely on you to know. We want to buy a DVD player for on board is there any that are either suitable to run off the leisure batteries, or come with a rechargeable battery? Want to connect it to the existing TV screen so not looking for one of those with a minature screen cos neither of us will be able to see it.

Thanks Tony

We bought a 12V tv with built in DVD player. Has not proven to be the most reliable but we do get a new one every six months!!

I had a job where we used to get a turbo-molecular vacuum pump every few months in exactly the same way.

Richard

There's quite a few 12V TV's that have DVD players built in, or you could get something like This Player And Receiver From Maplin which you can plug into the main TV and also have an alternate if someone wants to watch something else at the same time.

Edited by Chris J W

We bought a 12V tv with built in DVD player. Has not proven to be the most reliable but we do get a new one every six months!!

Wow that was pretty quick, can I ask where you bought it and why every 6 months - I guess 'cos it keeps breaking, if so what make so I can avoid it :lol:

Thanks Tony

Wow that was pretty quick, can I ask where you bought it and why every 6 months - I guess 'cos it keeps breaking, if so what make so I can avoid it :lol:

Thanks Tony

Its a Meos bought from we do digital.

The DVD player keeps packing up and chewing on DVD's although to be fair Meos keep replacing it so we dont mind :lol:

Im about to put a 240v unit on board, is that a problem or the wrong thing to do?

Phil

No problem with a 240v TV/DVD provided you've sufficient inverter power and accept that you may not be able to watch TV for as long as the batteries will die just a bit sooner than a straight 12v system.

QUOTE (floatingphil @ Dec 4 2009, 04:04 PM)

Im about to put a 240v unit on board, is that a problem or the wrong thing to do?

Phil

No problem with a 240v TV/DVD provided you've sufficient inverter power and accept that you may not be able to watch TV for as long as the batteries will die just a bit sooner than a straight 12v system.

So what so of calculation should i carry out to determine how long the batteries will last with a 240v tv? Ive 2 alternators and a 3 batteries for on board power

Phil

So what so of calculation should i carry out to determine how long the batteries will last with a 240v tv? Ive 2 alternators and a 3 batteries for on board power

Phil

Lots of assumptions coming up:

Assuming two of those batteries are for boat power and one is for engine starting, and also assuming you have 110Ah batteries, you have 200Ah total boat capacity.

You wouldn't want to use more than say 40% of your available capacity, so that's 80Ah.

Assume 180W power consumption from LCD TV

Assume 10W for DVD player

That's 190W or around 0.8A

Assuming 80% Inverter efficiency that's 1A drawn from the batteries.

So assuming equal efficiency from TV/DVD at 12V as at 240V then 12V = 100 hours viewing, 240V = 80 hours viewing.

That's also assuming you're sitting in the dark and using no pumps or other electrical equipment.

If I got my sums correct.

Tony :lol:

Edit to say that's also assuming brand new batteries in tip-top condition regularly and correctly charged. In a real life situation you could well expect half the amount of power to be available.

Edited by WotEver

Lots of assumptions coming up:

Assuming two of those batteries are for boat power and one is for engine starting, and also assuming you have 110Ah batteries, you have 200Ah total boat capacity.

You wouldn't want to use more than say 40% of your available capacity, so that's 80Ah.

Assume 180W power consumption from LCD TV

Assume 10W for DVD player

That's 190W or around 0.8A

Assuming 80% Inverter efficiency that's 1A drawn from the batteries.

So assuming equal efficiency from TV/DVD at 12V as at 240V then 12V = 100 hours viewing, 240V = 80 hours viewing.

That's also assuming you're sitting in the dark and using no pumps or other electrical equipment.

If I got my sums correct.

Tony :lol:

Edit to say that's also assuming brand new batteries in tip-top condition regularly and correctly charged. In a real life situation you could well expect half the amount of power to be available.

OMG thanks Tony, yes all assumptions are spot on!!! lol. Thinkthere are 3 batteries plus 1 for starting, any how, 80 hours is plenty, my eyes would burn out. Im on a shore line power hook up and batteries are all good. As long as the batteries run out go out as X factor starts Im happy

Cheers tony

Phil

OMG thanks Tony, yes all assumptions are spot on!!! lol. Thinkthere are 3 batteries plus 1 for starting, any how, 80 hours is plenty, my eyes would burn out. Im on a shore line power hook up and batteries are all good. As long as the batteries run out go out as X factor starts Im happy

Cheers tony

Phil

Phil,

If you are on a shore line hook up, can't you just plug into the mains and not worry about battery drain?

Roger

Want to connect it to the existing TV screen so not looking for one of those with a minature screen cos neither of us will be able to see it

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss a portable DVD player as they they usually have TV out so that you can play through your main TV. And they have a rechargeable battery and usually can work off a 12v car plug. I have a phillips one that I use as a back up. My main solution is a car radio head unit that also plays DVDs which makes for a nice neat solution.

Hi Guys, I know I can rely on you to know. We want to buy a DVD player for on board is there any that are either suitable to run off the leisure batteries, or come with a rechargeable battery? Want to connect it to the existing TV screen so not looking for one of those with a minature screen cos neither of us will be able to see it.

Thanks Tony

I've got the much older version of one of these-

Safe click to Amazon

It runs on 12 volt's just fine and has been ultra reliable.

You can use it as a portable DVD player as well as plug it into your TV and use it as a standard DVD player.