Winter moorings

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Without wanting to hijack another topic i thought i should start another.

Whilst out on our last week away we met a chap moaning that moorings where being let as winter moorings and BW where just cashing in. This despite the fact that he had never had a problem finding a spot to moor.

We have never found it a problem as the visitor moorings in our neck of the woods are very quiet during the winter months. But what do the rest of you think of BW letting stretches of visitor moorings during the winter months?

Without wanting to hijack another topic i thought i should start another.

Whilst out on our last week away we met a chap moaning that moorings where being let as winter moorings and BW where just cashing in. This despite the fact that he had never had a problem finding a spot to moor.

We have never found it a problem as the visitor moorings in our neck of the woods are very quiet during the winter months. But what do the rest of you think of BW letting stretches of visitor moorings during the winter months?

I think it's a good idea for cc'ers who cannot move because of stoppages and for those that would prefer not to move over the winter months. On the basis that they do not restrict visitor's moorings where there is a genuine need over the winter then great. I think BW should cash in and then they'll have more money to spend on the system and there will be a little less pressure to increase licence fees. It's a winner all round in my book.

I am suprised there are not more views on this.

Personally i think they are a good idea provided there is still provision for visitors in the locallity. Why have the moorings sat redundant through the quieter winter months when they could have a fixed income from the same length of moorings.

Possibly because it has been done to death in several previous threads, everybody is already fairly entrenched in their views, and (as I'm currently proving elsewhere :lol: ), little seems to be gained from the debate, other that people getting up tight with each other.

But you asked.....

I do not think BW should let out any temporary moorings at prime locations, (whatever they are!), if it means that people who do want to boat in the October to March period, (which seems a very long "winter" to me!), are in danger of not being able to use those moorings because they are full, and would not be otherwise.

I don't actually have a problem with BW providing the facility at places where there is not pressure on available moorings.

The problem is interpretation - I think BW are doing this at sites where it reduces avialbility to genuinely cruising boats, (both CCers and those with home moorings). Others do not, and it seems unlikely we will reach agreement on the topic! (So not sure why I just typed all that, really. :lol: ).

Personally i think they are a good idea provided there is still provision for visitors in the locallity. Why have the moorings sat redundant through the quieter winter months when they could have a fixed income from the same length of moorings.

That's because everyone is reading the thread about London moorings :lol:

It's got to be a good idea, like it's been said, the demand is for mooring not visiting during winter.

Kev

Here's a new view (or maybe not) as I've not seen this debated previously.

One solution would be to make it proviso of the "converted" mooring that other boats still cruising the network could moor alongside if there was no other visitor mooring available.

Jez

One solution would be to make it proviso of the "converted" mooring that other boats still cruising the network could moor alongside if there was no other visitor mooring available.

Jez

Unless your initials are DM

:lol:

Jez

What!? you mean breasting up! See the other thread :lol:

Keith.