Re: BUYER BEWARE

hydrophobia

Featured Posts

HI, Just wanted to let you all know that my boatbuilder has sent an email to the forum requesting the removal of my thread.I understand their position completely and am extremely grateful that the thread was allowed to run in the first place.I would like to thank all of you for your support and for making my website a big success.We only ever expected a few hundred hits and have over 1,000. Thanks again...Sue

unfortunately, as page 2 of the Google results for "narrowboat builders" shows you have a fair bit more work before you'll really make a difference.

if you do a search using the name of the boat builder , the OP's web-site appears pretty high in google (on the first page at least)

HI, Just wanted to let you all know that my boatbuilder has sent an email to the forum requesting the removal of my thread.I understand their position completely and am extremely grateful that the thread was allowed to run in the first place.I would like to thank all of you for your support and for making my website a big success.We only ever expected a few hundred hits and have over 1,000. Thanks again...Sue

I can't believe he's go the audacity to demand the thread be removed!

I can't believe he's go the audacity to demand the thread be removed!

Why not?

He has the audacity to use the OP's boat in his website publicity (and another boat that, if you google "narrowboat westwood", will provide more interesting reading) so why shouldn't he have the audacity to try and shut down forum threads?

Been a long time since I messed with web sites but if I recall correctly we used the "meta tag" (am I correct in my recolection) to get results from search engines. If hydrophobia put the company name in 100 times in the tag it would increase hits. Or do search engines really work so differantly 15 years later? :lol:

Been a long time since I messed with web sites but if I recall correctly we used the "meta tag" (am I correct in my recolection) to get results from search engines. If hydrophobia put the company name in 100 times in the tag it would increase hits. Or do search engines really work so differantly 15 years later? :lol:

they do still use data from meta tags, but it's not the only means for increasing higher rankings. Links to your web site, age of domain, key words within the site textual content, keywords in the title bar (the bit that is displayed on the browser), sitemap xml file for the searchbots to inspect - are just a few techniques that will aid in natural search engine ranking (there are plenty more).

Edited by grahoom

I can believe it...I have been waiting for it, I have been dealing with his (Audacity) as you put it for two years...What a guy!

It will be interesting to see if he contacts you to request you remove your blog..........or you recieve threats. I do hope you will stick to your guns and tell him to sod off!

Personally I think the original thread on here should have been allowed to run until the site owner received a solicitors letter rather than pull it just in case! At the very least the tread could have been cleaned up with just the facts left.

In any any case I don't they would have been any position to make demands anyway!

It will be interesting to see if he contacts you to request you remove your blog..........or you recieve threats. I do hope you will stick to your guns and tell him to sod off!

Here here, as long as the blog is a statement of provable fact then if he does he should be told to whistle (or perhaps something less polite)

Here here, as long as the blog is a statement of provable fact then if he does he should be told to whistle (or perhaps something less polite)

But the blog hosts - like the owner of this site - may well decide that they don't need the grief of fighting a libel action. Even if every word is true, and they win, it still costs an immense amount in both time and money. The author of the blog may well be prepared to take on that fight because a. it's close to his heart, and b. he (or she) KNOWS that it's true and that they would win in the end.

Neither of these apply to the publisher, which is why they make a much easier target when trying to get damaging material removed.

But the blog hosts - like the owner of this site - may well decide that they don't need the grief of fighting a libel action. Even if every word is true, and they win, it still costs an immense amount in both time and money. The author of the blog may well be prepared to take on that fight because a. it's close to his heart, and b. he (or she) KNOWS that it's true and that they would win in the end.

Neither of these apply to the publisher, which is why they make a much easier target when trying to get damaging material removed.

Exactly. Which is, I think, why the OP (if the blog publisher does threaten the blog provider) should put out multiple copies of the blog, on multiple blog hosting platforms, so that the provider can't just pull it at the first sign of a threat.

Blogger, Wordpress, etc.

Fair point - just seems so unfair particularly when has has been pointed out googling the builder in question brings up at least one other example of similarly shoddy treatment.

Still if the blog prevents just one person losing money in this way it will have been worth it - if I was in the market for a new boat (which I'm not but may be in several years) - I certainly wouldn't touch the company in question with a very large barge pole.

Libel Action cost's a fortune and my boatbuilder is bankrupt! If he can fund a Libel case I would want to know how?

Personally I cant wait to take weeks to reply to his solicitors letters or ignore them altogether as he did mine, bring it on!

Also...Geoff Hoon MP used to be a lawer as did most MP's and he gave me advice about the website. I have NO WORRIES.Thanks for the concern.

Edited by hydrophobia

Libel Action cost's a fortune and my boatbuilder is bankrupt! If he can fund a Libel case I would want to know how?

Personally I cant wait to take weeks to reply to his solicitors letters or ignore them altogether as he did mine, bring it on!

Also...Geoff Hoon MP used to be a lawer as did most MP's and he gave me advice about the website. I have NO WORRIES.Thanks for the concern.

My point entirely! :lol: