Admiral Nelson at Braunston

dave moore

Featured Posts

Edited to add: :lol: Alan, Mississippi in morse, great word to practice on a 'bug' morse key. U do that?

:lol:

Ah, but which "Morse code Alan/Allan"?

We seem to have three in the thread.

Must admit I don't recall the need to ever send Mississippi in CW!

Whilst I did graduate to a keyer for a while, I was somehow always more at ease (and comprehensible) on a straight key.

I used to sit awkwardly though, somehow hunched over things, and can remember long periods of severe back pain after spending too much time at the key.

Can barely read a word now, though, at any speed. :lol:

I was told the Rose was one pub & the Castle was across the road and now well deceased.

Sue

You was told wrong then, I'm afraid.

Definitely trading as Rose and Castle in the 1974 edition of "The Canals Book".

This well-known pub with it's uniquely designed restaurant extension offers an informal, relaxed and friendly welcome to boaters and road travellers alike.

That could make it sound like if you lived in the village, and walked there, you were not welcome!

I was always at home with an el-bug and could chat away all day with one.

The Rose & Castle / Boatman had this galleon-effect extension with a balcony; I can remember stopping there in the early 70's and putting our gangplank straight from the roof of the boat to the balcony and entering the pub the quick way!

I was told that it was originally founded by the landlord of one of the two pubs, opposite each other on the road, that were demolished to make a railway crossing (near where the road entrance to the marina is now) - and I can vaguely remember being told it was called the "New Navigation" as his demolished pub had been called the Navigation, although I don't know how correct that is.

I've always assumed that the Admiral Nelso was founded by en ex-sailor, using his discharge money &/or prize money fund. I know that is the case for many seafaringly-named pubs. Does anyone know if that is the case here?

Edited by Keeping Up

Edited to add: :lol: Alan, Mississippi in morse, great word to practice on a 'bug' morse key. U do that?

If you think Mississippi is bad, here's a sentence you can try:

She is 5 and she is his sister

You must use the numerical 5, not spell it out; and use the accepted abbreviation "es" for "and"

If you think Mississippi is bad, here's a sentence you can try:

She is 5 and she is his sister

You must use the numerical 5, not spell it out; and use the accepted abbreviation "es" for "and"

Drives me dotty :lol:

She was only a radio operator but she dit-dit dit-dit dit-dit-dit bacause her dah-dit-dit

• 2 weeks later...
I am able to tell that back in 1966 the now Boathouse was called the 'New Castle Inn' and previously before that the 'Braunston House'. (better late than never).

Terence

The 1965 British Waterways guide to the Southern Grand Union Canal names the pub as the Rose and Castle. I knew the pub in the mid 1960's and only ever knew it as the Rose and Castle. According the history published by the one time owners Phipps Brewery, it was called the Rose and Crown before that, although the photo title implies that it was the New Castle. sao maybe that was an earlier name. The next time I see Ron Hough I will ask him. Notice boards decorated by him adorned the bar until quite recently (I wonder what happened to them?)

Photo of the pub from Phipps history site:-

http://www.phipps-nbc.co.uk/resources/_wsb...raunston-we.jpg

Another photo of the Rose and Castle taken in 1970:-

http://www.asmith.org.uk/images/wandaweb/wanda_p21c.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

The 1965 British Waterways guide to the Southern Grand Union Canal names the pub as the Rose and Castle. I knew the pub in the mid 1960's and only ever knew it as the Rose and Castle. According the history published by the one time owners Phipps Brewery, it was called the Rose and Crown before that, although the photo title implies that it was the New Castle. sao maybe that was an earlier name. The next time I see Ron Hough I will ask him. Notice boards decorated by him adorned the bar until quite recently (I wonder what happened to them?)

I'd like to think that calling it the 'Rose and Castle' would be wishful thinking being a rose and castle painter myself. I got my information from the actual title deeds drawn up by Perkins and Smith Ltd of Braunston, (that are sat in my desk draw) which were dated 16-8-66 then revised on the 1-12-67. The plan shows the property in question as the New Castle Inn. Having lived here now for only 3 years I couldn't personally say it's right, I'm relying on the planners at the time who drew up the plans.

CastleInn.jpg

Terence

Edited by Terence

Marstons eh! I know that the Millhouse couldn't get any worse BUT I wonder whether as Marstons are now in control it will become like the Unicorn Hotel, Gunthorpe on the Trent a truly grim hole, (although packed with trippers, why?), possibly the worst pub I or the Great Helmsman have ever been in and I was in the Navy and have drunk for England :lol:

You are up the creek regarding the Unicorn at Gunthorpe. It's packed because it offers reasonanble food at very reasonable prices. You must have been very unlucky.

I'd like to think that calling it the 'Rose and Castle' would be wishful thinking being a rose and castle painter myself. I got my information from the actual title deeds drawn up by Perkins and Smith Ltd of Braunston, (that are sat in my desk draw) which were dated 16-8-66 then revised on the 1-12-67. The plan shows the property in question as the New Castle Inn. Having lived here now for only 3 years I couldn't personally say it's right, I'm relying on the planners at the time who drew up the plans.

CastleInn.jpg

Terence

No wishful thinking Terence, the pub was definitely called the Rose and Castle for at least ten years between 1965 and 1975. I can assure you that those of us who frequented the place in those days, know that was it's name during that period.

The drawing submitted appears to be one drawn up for Planning Consent at some earlier date (hence the cross hatched section on the drawing) which has subsequently been used for Title Deed purposses.

Plans with Title Deeds are known to be of dubious historic value, and site plans s submitted as part of Planning Consent can be years out of date. As long as the shape of the building and the boundaries are correct, the name does not matter and rather than pay for a new one to be drawn up, the plan submitted is almost invariably the latest one available.

Edited by David Schweizer

No wishful thinking Terence, the pub was definitely called the Rose and Castle for at least ten years between 1965 and 1975. I can assure you that those of us who frequented the place in those days, know that was it's name during that period.

My first time in Braunston was in 1979. It was still known as the Rose & Castle then.

You are up the creek regarding the Unicorn at Gunthorpe. It's packed because it offers reasonanble food at very reasonable prices. You must have been very unlucky.

The prices were average and the food and the service were appalling. Nasty pie full of gristle, rock hard pastry, cold chips (how did they manage that) and all eaten with the previous occupant's dirty dishes still on the table (and ignore by the staff). Frankly I would avoid anywhere that it was possible to be that unlucky.

Not much it hasn't been called over the years, is there ? I seem to recall "Rose and Castle" many moons back.

WTF was it when in the rather distressing external guise of a Mississippi paddle steamer, (or something of that kind) ?

(Does Mississippi really have THAT many letters #s', p' & 'i' ?)

:lol:

If you think the word mississippi is long you should try going down it at 4mph dodging 500 ft long tugs. We did it this summer. Can't wait to do it again.

The drawing submitted appears to be one drawn up for Planning Consent at some earlier date (hence the cross hatched section on the drawing) which has subsequently been used for Title Deed purposses.

Plans with Title Deeds are known to be of dubious historic value, and site plans s submitted as part of Planning Consent can be years out of date. As long as the shape of the building and the boundaries are correct, the name does not matter and rather than pay for a new one to be drawn up, the plan submitted is almost invariably the latest one available.

Very well argued David. Being a Yorkshire man myself I like to use a saying ‘A wise man believes what he sees and foolish man believes what he thinks’ and when you say that you sat in the pub when it was called the Rose & Castle then a wise man you must be.

Putting that to one side, I concede that the name Rose & Castle did play a part. The pub is currently named ‘The BoatHouse’, before then it was called the ‘Millhouse’, before then, ‘The Boatman’, before then the ‘Rose & Castle’, before then the ‘New Castle Inn’ and before that it was the ‘Braunston House’.

Just across the canal from the Boathouse there is a row of cottages one of which is called ‘Castle Cottage’ this used to be call the ‘Castle Inn’ the licence was transferred to the new Pub across the canal to the ‘New Castle Inn’ previously called The Braunston House.

The deeds that I supplied are correct, the small crosshatched part you mentioned was an extension requested, but the names and dates are correct.

I would like to thank you though in the fact that whether all this is right or wrong you have helped me achieve my first prolonged debate on this forum (I’d like to call it an argument but you never called me any names which was disappointing, so it couldn’t be one). :lol:

Terence

A lot of the history for Braunston can be found on the History of Braunston Website. I believe that there has been quite a number of pubs come and go in this village. :lol:

And Ron Hough who has lived in the village since he was two years old, will have been in all of them at some time. By the way if you have not met him he is a mine of information about Braunston, especially the boats and canals. he was apprenticed to Frank Nurser, and AFIK is the last remaining Boat Decorator trained in wooden Boat Builders yard.

And Ron Hough who has lived in the village since he was two years old, will have been in all of them at some time. By the way if you have not met him he is a mine of information about Braunston, especially the boats and canals. he was apprenticed to Frank Nurser, and AFIK is the last remaining Boat Decorator trained in wooden Boat Builders yard.

He did our signwriting and back doors a few years ago, as well as a (non-canal) rose on the side doors. Beautiful they were too.