Mooring for Limehouse

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

Seeing the exorbitant rate for overnight mooring in Limehouse marina (£26), can anyone suggest what would be the best and nearest alternative when waiting overnight before locking down through Limehouse?

Free 24 hour mooring along the basin wall if there's space. If not ask someone if you can moor alongside or tuck in under the metal footbridge just into the Limehouse cut. I've moored there a couple of times.

Not sure but someone mentioned it to me so I looked it up on their website. It's £24 or £26 depending on length.

Thanks Blackrose. I guess the thing to do is to go in and look at the wall first, but it would be good to know where else to go if there isn't a space there. How high is the wall (what chance of lifting a labrador on to it from the back deck?)

Edited by Keeping Up

We tied up on the wall last year (hence my surprise). It is pretty high though.

The Grapes was an excellent pub. TT Landlord, best whitebait I've ever had, plus a balcony out over the river.

Edited by WarriorWoman

Seeing the exorbitant rate for overnight mooring in Limehouse marina (£26), can anyone suggest what would be the best and nearest alternative when waiting overnight before locking down through Limehouse?

The price for the marina is not the price for mooring along the wall to wait for access through the lock. There isn't really any other 'convenient' place to moor and wait. You could wait anywhere along that stretch from Victoria Park to Limehouse but depending on what time the lock opens, it might be an early start to your days cruising.

The wall is quite high BUT you can arrange your boat so that you have access to the ladders 'man overboard' ladders.

Limehouse used to allow you to use their shower and laundry facilities too but have recently changed that because BW won't contribute to their upkeep.

Lastly there is still a 7 day visitor mooring at the end of the wall. Available to all but best to phone ahead/ask first.

I guess the thing to do is to go in and look at the wall first, but it would be good to know where else to go if there isn't a space there. How high is the wall (what chance of lifting a labrador on to it from the back deck?)

Anyone who moors up against the wall has to pretty much accept that others may brest up to them because there's only enough linear space for say 5 x 60ft boats and that's where you need to be when the lockkeeper tells you he's letting you out onto the Thames.

From memory the wall is at about coachroof height, so if you can manhandle the dog onto the roof you should be ok.

You can always use the facilities such as water and pump out in the marina without paying an overnight charge (I think?), so you could always off-load the dog onto the pontoons and then ask someone in the marina to let whoevers walking the dog out through the gate.

I have never been charged for an overnight mooring at Limehouse, and I have stayed there quite a few times. When the main wall is full I have moored in the area between the canal and the Limehouse cut.

The Gordon Ramsey pub, The Narrow, at the lock entrance, is very nice.

We moored overnight on what I recall were free (overnight) visitor moorings.

We entered the basin and found all were full, moved around a bit and even contemplated mooring on the lock landing - nearly dark and mid March so we didn't expect anyone else to use the lock that day. Decided against that and returned to the basin and one of the continuous (winter) moorers must have taken pity on us and moved, so we nabbed their space. That same boat seemd to keep cruising around the basin for some while afterwards and we're not sure what they did eventually.

Don't know what time of year you're thinking of going. Maybe the trick is to get there around midday during the summer.

Failing that we moored alongside another boat at Victoria Park the previous week but I think I'd have been reasonably happy to moor on the towpath in one or two other places if we hadn't been leaving the boat unattended for a whole day.

From memory the wall is at about coachroof height, so if you can manhandle the dog onto the roof you should be ok.

"Borrowed" image found by Google search.....

DSCF0398.JPG

I must admit I though I remembered the wall as higher, but several images I found look similar to this....

When we were hoping to moor there, everything was already double breasted, (unless wide beam), and we couldn't find anyone to ask......

Me might have manged to moor just into the Limehouse cut, other than there is very little except a bridge to tie to, and a community boat had already grabbed that.

We found Limehouse so uninviting, we elected not to try and spend the night there, (but were not waiting to lock through to the Thames).

"Borrowed" image found by Google search.....

I must admit I though I remembered the wall as higher, but several images I found look similar to this....

When we were hoping to moor there, everything was already double breasted, (unless wide beam), and we couldn't find anyone to ask......

Me might have manged to moor just into the Limehouse cut, other than there is very little except a bridge to tie to, and a community boat had already grabbed that.

We found Limehouse so uninviting, we elected not to try and spend the night there, (but were not waiting to lock through to the Thames).

The visitor moorings are on the East Wall of the basin:

113054599.jpg

As someone else has stated there is technically a 14 day mooring along the wall but at the lock keepers discression - something the IWA negotiated when the marina was originally planned.

Have moored at Limehouse many many times without a hint of trouble, their are three excellent waterfront pubs within two minutes walk and the Cruising Association bar is normally welcoming.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

I certainly feel a bit more reassured by these replies. It's a good few years since I was last there, and in my memory the wall was a lot higher - funny how different things look when you revisit them, maybe that's why I like revisiting them.

I'm fairly sure I can get the dogs up to the wall (get behind and shove) but I'm a bit worried about the bigger one being able to jump down again without injury; at over 10 years old her bones are probably getting a bit brittle and she's not a lightweight - but knowing in advance what to expect, I can work out the best way to help her.

Thanks all.

Some recent-ish photos of the moorings in Limehouse basin. Three Mills is a possible mooring option but it can be a bit noisy.

See: http://www.nb-anon.com/Diaries/0908_Aug/Di...3_Limehouse.php and the page before this one for Three Mills.

We tied up on the wall last year (hence my surprise). It is pretty high though.

The Grapes was an excellent pub. TT Landlord, best whitebait I've ever had, plus a balcony out over the river.

The wall is pretty high, you might struggle with a large dog.

The Grapes is indeed a fantastic pub.

D