Windlass/lock key

MrCJ

Featured Posts

I just watched waterworld on the tv. A guy on there had got a cordless drill made up attachment called a lockmaster. just put it on pressed the button and opened the paddles. Is there something like this out there?

I just watched waterworld on the tv. A guy on there had got a cordless drill made up attachment called a lockmaster. just put it on pressed the button and opened the paddles. Is there something like this out there?

If you've seen it then it's out there. :lol:

No this was something he had made himself was just wondering if there was something off the shelf you could buy.

You could, in theory, use a 1 inch socket, or even make your own, however the revs might be problematic on most locks, and the load. My drill is several hundred revs per minute and the average paddle needs about 3 turns to get it up, at drill speed the paddle would lift in a fraction of a second and I suspect the cast iron gearing wouldn't be happy, nor would the drill as the torque needed would be pretty impressive. gearbox?

I've got a custom made biomechanical attachment that's factory fitted to my shoulder. Using a complex but very reliable neuro-electric command system, my brain can command the Automatic Rewind Mechanism to rotate the windlass automatically, thus raising the paddles with the minimum of effort. I have also adapted the A.R.M mechanism to steer the boat without too much readjustment.

The only significant problem I've had with it is after repeated use raising pint pots in the pub. The communication network progressively degrades leading to eventual beer/ mouth synchronisation issues and subsequent spillage. Apparently there's a software patch to fix this issue, but they haven't got a release date yet.

:lol:;):lol::lol: I know its lazy but it looked like a good gaget you know one of those things you really must have and cant live without it, which then ends up in the back of a cuboard when the next thing comes along :lol:

Er, that's not gonna work is it? surely it'll come crashing down. When you wind the paddles down by hand, you have to take the weight of the paddle and backwind slowly. I'm sorry (it may be just me), but I just cant see an electric motor being able to work out the differing weights of differing winding gear & dropping the paddles gently.

Er, that's not gonna work is it? surely it'll come crashing down. When you wind the paddles down by hand, you have to take the weight of the paddle and backwind slowly. I'm sorry (it may be just me), but I just cant see an electric motor being able to work out the differing weights of differing winding gear & dropping the paddles gently.

I drop the paddles using my hand as a clutch, to regulate the speed of descent.

A motor could easily be adapted to do a similar thing.

Lockmaster Windlass

Should be available Spring / Summer 2007

Fits any cordless drill............. Still developing a plastic seaseacher magnet for when you drop the drill into the cut!

well just looked at the website it said it would be lunched 2007 and we now in 2009 I think it never did.

IIRC the demo on Waterworld only showed it being used on the unique worm-driven paddle-gear on the Northern Grand Union (Hatton/Knowle etc) which is characterised by geared paddles that are very easy to raise, and which return on their own by gravity without being wound down. When I saw it I wondered how it could possibly work on the more traditional rack-and-pinion lock gear.

Well I cant see it being able to first take the weight of the paddle, whilst you then remove the safety clip, then lowering the paddle gear. I stand to be corrected, I'm open to persuasion,

but I'm not convinced............... You'd need 3 hands

Well I cant see it being able to first take the weight of the paddle, whilst you then remove the safety clip, then lowering the paddle gear. I stand to be corrected, I'm open to persuasion,

but I'm not convinced............... You'd need 3 hands

Am I missing something? What would be the advantage over a conventional windlass? Why change something that has worked well for over 150 years and that has no elecktrickery or moving parts to fail?

Am I missing something? What would be the advantage over a conventional windlass? Why change something that has worked well for over 150 years and that has no elecktrickery or moving parts to fail?

the guy on the tv said he was getting on and could manage the winding up of the puddles anymore so he came up with this so he could carry on boating.

Edited by MrCJ

Here hear. I'll go along with that. Any way, I already have an automatic lock paddle winder. Lisa's her name, Mrs. Pugwash.

(Take cover...................Incoming)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

the guy on the tv said he was getting on and could manage the winding up of the puddles anymore so he came up with this so he could carry on boating.

But if the tool applies torque to the paddle gear, then there must be an equal amount of torque in the opposite direction - therefore if the paddle gear is particularly difficult to turn, the tool would be equally difficult to hold. The tool and battery must be much heavier than a traditional windlass and probably much more difficult to carry on your belt or when riding a bicycle.

I just cannot see its advantage over winding a traditional windlass :lol:

As the person that started this thread I not saying I want to go out there and buy one, need to get the boat first lol.

I can see alot of you dont think its a good idea. Now my view is that it worked for this guy, it did look very big and heavier then a normal windlass and as its already been said you cant put in your belt plus you got to have plenty of batterys.

But personally I find the winding up and down of the paddles on the locks all part of the fun and enjoyment of being on the canals.

Edited by MrCJ

You could, in theory, use a 1 inch socket, or even make your own, however the revs might be problematic on most locks, and the load. My drill is several hundred revs per minute and the average paddle needs about 3 turns to get it up, at drill speed the paddle would lift in a fraction of a second and I suspect the cast iron gearing wouldn't be happy, nor would the drill as the torque needed would be pretty impressive. gearbox?

Somersault? :lol:

What we need is a manual windlass no larger or heavier than standard with a ratchet and extendable handle (for delicate ladies).

What we need is a manual windlass no larger or heavier than standard with a ratchet and extendable handle (for delicate ladies).

Just like the one I designed and had made by an engineering company near home. Problem was drilling a square hole - how would you do that? :lol: