Ventilation requirements.

kayak

Featured Posts

Morning All.

Can anyone please tell me how to work out the ventillation requirements for a widebeam please? My surveyor has advised me of what to use but I'd just like to know (even though they sound sensible) how he arrived at the total open area.

I have a gas oven with 4 rings, a 5.5kw stove, and an Alde 3010 just for info.

Many thanks.

Kayak.

According to the guidance notes Edition 2 I use when we built Achilles

The formular for calculating ventilation is

in sq.mm = [2200xU]+[650xP]+[440xF]

Where U=input rating for all unflued appliances

F= iunput rating for all flued appliances

P=number of persons for which the compartment is designed

the requirments should then be split equally between high and low level

Andrew

Can anyone please tell me how to work out the ventillation requirements for a widebeam please? My surveyor has advised me of what to use but I'd just like to know (even though they sound sensible) how he arrived at the total open area.

I have a gas oven with 4 rings, a 5.5kw stove, and an Alde 3010 just for info.

The BSC examiners have a table they use which lists the appliances and the mass flow rate they require when operating (air). This information should be detailed in the individual manuals associated with each appliance, but my experiance is that different examiners have different figures for the same appliance, so it depends where the information is obtained from? By adding up the air flow requirements they come up with a figure for the total ventilation required, so you can get quite a wide variation under some circumstances. Provided the ventilation in existance is greater than this total they will be happy!

Don't forget it will include all appiances which consume air, including coal and diesel stoves etc., but should exclude any room sealed appliance since their air intake should be directly supplied by the sealed unit.

Thants great thanks.

When you say "input" rating what do you mean? Im familiar with the term "output rating".

Kayak.

It the amount energy put in.

Your gas appliance should have this on a plate in Kw's or BTU's

Andrew

It the amount energy put in.

Your gas appliance should have this on a plate in Kw's or BTU's

Andrew

That depends on how old the appliance is. We have an Ellis Heatmaster boiler on our boat, it was installed in 1981, long before the BSS, and has no plates indicating anything on it.

I happen to know that the input rating is 22,000 BThU, because I contacted Ellis Restorations(many years ago) and Mr Ellis provided me with an instruction manual and also confirmed the BThU rating.

Thants great thanks.

When you say "input" rating what do you mean? Im familiar with the term "output rating".

Kayak.

Perhaps you could think of it as the energy consumption figure of an appliance rather than its energy output. On the specification plate on the back of any applaince the input rating will be the greater of any two Kw (or btu) figures given.

If you can only find one figure then you'll have the use that or contact the manufacturer.

Edited by blackrose

That depends on how old the appliance is. We have an Ellis Heatmaster boiler on our boat, it was installed in 1981, long before the BSS, and has no plates indicating anything on it.

I happen to know that the input rating is 22,000 BThU, because I contacted Ellis Restorations(many years ago) and Mr Ellis provided me with an instruction manual and also confirmed the BThU rating.

I think the OP is at the planning/fitting stage so all the equipment he puts in the boat should be CE marked and have the energy ratings on it. That is if he intends to comply with the RCD