Boater Clobbered for Drink Driving

Geoff

Featured Posts

I don't always drive :lol: And there's nothing priceless about what I'm saying although your tone emits some kind of 'anger' in it for some reason. It's just a discussion where we're airing our opinions.

As a finale, I'll re-iterate, I don't condone drink-driving above the recommended levels or being drunk in charge of any vehicle. If you still want to harp on about tired-driving then start a new thread and I'll join in with you and more than likely agree.

You have admitted that you drive whilst tired.

It is an activity that if an order of magnitude more dangerous that navigating a boat whilst twice the DD limit.

As such, your views on the matter are as relevant as the views of Harold Shipman on the care of elderly patients

It has on the Broads

No it hasn't.

Applying the breathalyser and limits requires an act of Parliament, and the relevant section of the Act is not yet in force anywhere.

It is an activity that if an order of magnitude more dangerous that navigating a boat whilst twice the DD limit.

As such, your views on the matter are as relevant as the views of Harold Shipman on the care of elderly patients

No it hasn't.

Applying the breathalyser and limits requires an act of Parliament, and the relevant section of the Act is not yet in force anywhere.

Sorry I only live here.

Well you have a lot to learn then dearest. Why do you suspect there are so many waterside pubs/inns?

For the same reason that there are a lot of roadside pubs/inns perhaps?

Indeed so, and many people were killed by drunk drivers.

Now, remind me of the horrifying statistics about the number of people mown down every year by drunken narrowboaters.

Have we spotted the difference yet?

Statistically most road fatalities are caused by sober drivers.

Edited by Guest

theres more danger of being rammed by a complete novice boater than a drunk boater,, a drunk novice boater is possibly the greatest risk

Surely a drunk, novice, tired boater must be an even bigger risk?

Proportionately?

Who knows? It is possible to interpret statistics any way one wishes.

I don't even recall Towpath Townie.

In this specific case, she has advanced a, frankly ridiculous and untenable, point of view.

She suggests that it is totally irresponsible to navigate a vessel whilst over the DD limit, despite a lack of any EVIDENCE that it is a problem (knee-jerk opinions don't count). At the same time, she suggests that it is OK to drive whilst "wankered", having been up all night, despite the fact that there is ample evidence of the carnage that such behaviour can cause (such as the Selby Rail Crash).

It seems that here philosophy amounts to little more than "Dangerous things that I want to do are fine, because nothing must interfere with my nights out, but anything that you might do that I don't, and which I say might be dangerous should be stamped on"

She is, frankly, a hypocrite.

I have yet to meet a member of the human race that is not a hypocrite.

What about eyesight?

Sorry, can you use a bigger font please?

I can confirm there haven't been any deaths due to tiredness on the soul scene. Heart attacks mid 100mph dance floor action, but not driving home lol

usually as a result of popping Dexys all night long.

Or is the only bad substance alcohol?

Edited by carlt

Guest TowpathTownie
Didn't you specifically and others gang up on Towpath Townie and deter her from contributing before? She has an opinion on drunkeness on the canal yet you seem to utilise passages from an entirely different source to undermine her case, why is that?

I expected no less Mike. I gave an opinion on the topic title of 'Boater Clobbered for Drink Driving' and find myself being 'googled & quoted' for no other purpose but to show me up. I'm flattered that they feel I'm worth the effort though :lol:

It's not rocket science. Drinking and driving is a no no.

usually as a result of popping Dexys all night long.

Or is the only bad substance alcohol.

That was back in the 70s Carl. It's a mixture of pro-plus and deep-heat these days :lol:

Surely a drunk, novice, tired boater must be an even bigger risk?

Also single-handed.

If there's a group onboard, there would often be someone sober enough to make sure that anyone who gets drunk isn't going to get into trouble. Doesn't that also make it more difficult to secure a prosecution for being drunk while in control of a boat? In a car, it's obvious who is in control of it. On a boat, it's not so clear-cut.

No it hasn't.

Is this an opinion, or can you give me a reference to this quote?

I expected no less Mike. I gave an opinion on the topic title of 'Boater Clobbered for Drink Driving' and find myself being 'googled & quoted' for no other purpose but to show me up. I'm flattered that they feel I'm worth the effort though :lol:

Don't be disingenuous. I suggest you read back over the thread - each comment was a direct and reasonable response to something you said.

As for Googling you - no need, when there's a link at the bottom of your every post!

Edited by WarriorWoman

Guest TowpathTownie

No it hasn't.

Your tone is angry and you're being a wee bit personal likening my views to a mass murderer. Play nicely.

Guest TowpathTownie
Don't be disingenuous. I suggest you read back over the thread - each comment was a direct and reasonable response to something you said. My particular issue was your refusal to differentiate between drinking and driving a car, and drinking and steering a boat.

As for Googling you - no need, when there's a link at the bottom of your every post!

I have been more than frank and sincere in where I stand in this debate.

There is no link to my personal site from where they're hooking quotes from.

I cannot differentiate between a car or boat - much as I wouldn't differentiate between a car and a motorcycle or pushbike or train or coach or.... I just cannot agree that being drunk in charge of any vehicle is ok.

I hope that's a reasonable response although not one you'll agree with. We are all entitled to our own opinion :lol:

EDIT: Oops, I've quoted text you subsequently removed. Sorry about that. I'll leave it in though because it answers your question to me.

Edited by TowpathTownie