Will I Fit In?

anhar

Featured Posts

Did anyone ever find out what happened to Richard Bustens, the disappearing mod?

You mean after the "new and very young life partner" announcements?.....

Linky

Certainly the boat was up for sale, I think not that much later on, and in still fairly incomplete state, (wasn't it ?......).

EDIT:

Found it.....

Fribbet linky.....

Edited by alan_fincher

Some proper dinosaurs in this one.

Did anyone ever find out what happened to Richard Bustens, the disappearing mod?

Deleted.

Edited by Guest

Steve

There really is no problem. You could probably grow a decent beard within a month; there are lots of dogs needing new homes; and you could start weaning yourself by ordering 'half 'n' half' (half Fosters, half real ale), then 'quarter 'n' three-quarters', etc till you get there.

Of course, you'll still have the canal-ducking initiation and tied-to-a-tree-with-towrope sense of humour test to come, but you'll be feeling ready - nay, eager - for those by then.

Look forward to meeting you.

N

Steve

There really is no problem. You could probably grow a decent beard within a month; there are lots of dogs needing new homes; and you could start weaning yourself by ordering 'half 'n' half' (half Fosters, half real ale), then 'quarter 'n' three-quarters', etc till you get there.

Of course, you'll still have the canal-ducking initiation and tied-to-a-tree-with-towrope sense of humour test to come, but you'll be feeling ready - nay, eager - for those by then.

Look forward to meeting you.

N

I wonder if Steve has changed his opinion in the SIX YEARS since he posted that

Richard

Anhar,

Good to hear that you might take the plunge and get a s/hand n.b to start with.

If so i would strongly recommend an ex hire boat as a first,as these have all the fundemental things done properly,ie,sound engine installation, straight forward water system,gas and electrics all done properly,and not full of troublesome junk like on many private boats which come up for sale.Reason being is that the hire boat owners don't relish keep being called out to broken down or boats with faulty services.And are maintained professionally too. Ok,probably many many hours on the clock,but all should be quite sound.And buy straight from the hire company.There may be too many berths for your liking but if your handy can be altered easily enough. This is what i would do,as a first timer. regards bizzard.

Anhar,

Good to hear that you might take the plunge and get a s/hand n.b to start with.

Steve actually had a boat built from scratch but, sadly, less than 6 months after its launch, his boating partner, a close family member, died and he sold the boat.

Steve actually had a boat built from scratch but, sadly, less than 6 months after its launch, his boating partner, a close family member, died and he sold the boat.

Many thanks Carit. I've just noticed the date of the original post Sept 2005.

I do apologize anhar wherever you are. regards bizzard.

As an unboated lurker considering seriously getting a narrowboat, I wonder if I'll fit in with the community. Three points in particular worry me somewhat:

1 I don't have a dog

2 I don't have a beard (and no, I'm not female)

3 I don't like real ale.

It appears to me that to be seen as a real cutter, the above three points are mandatory. I can just imagine walking into one of those nice canalside pubs on a real hot day, dogless and beardless, then asking for a pint of ice cold Fosters rather than a pint of Old Tosser's, served up warm, natch. It would be like a scene in an old western where a stranger walks into the saloon and the place falls dead silent.

Am I right to be concerned and is it possible to be a real cutter otherwise? And no I don't want to get a dog, grow a beard or start drinking warm real ale.

:smiley_offtopic:

regards

Steve

I don't really fit in with "the community" either (whatever that is exactly?), but it hasn't stopped me living aboard.

Yes, you will get some old farts (and young farts) on boats who aren't particularly friendly if you don't conform to their crusty lifestyle, but there are many more (with and without dogs & beards) who are congenial whatever your particular lifestyle concept.