Barrus Debate

SoJo

Featured Posts

There is a difference of opinion going around the marina in which I moor about the air filter housing on the 45hp Barrus Shire. There are two openings on the cylindriacl housing (one at the bottom of the removable cover and one at the back closest to the manifold) that would appear to allow air flow to the "dusty" side of the filter.

However, these ports are fitted with rubber flapper valves that close on suction from within the housing. ie. When the engine is running. Now some people are taking one if not both of these valves out claiming that they are starving air-flow to their engine but surely these are fitted for a reason and working on a '"if it ain't broke, dont fix it" principle should they be leaving well alone????

I pose the question then:

What are these valves? and are they required????

Not a clue what the answer is but it sounds to me like a classic example of a typical unqualified taproom expert believing he knows more than the 100 million pound R & D department of a large engine manufacturer.

Gibbo

Not a clue what the answer is but it sounds to me like a classic example of a typical unqualified taproom expert believing he knows more than the 100 million pound R & D department of a large engine manufacturer.

Gibbo

I agree. Manufacturers of any equipment are not in the habit of increasing their tooling and production costs for no reason. Remember "I don't understand" or "I can't see why" are statements of ignorance, not proof of being right. I would suggest that either this arrangement is a fix to prevent some unusual occurrence or a sign that the component is used on more than one application where this arrangement has more relevance.

Further, Why is anyone concerned about finding why an engine is being starved of air if there is no outward sign of said starvation?

There is a difference of opinion going around the marina in which I moor about the air filter housing on the 45hp Barrus Shire. There are two openings on the cylindriacl housing (one at the bottom of the removable cover and one at the back closest to the manifold) that would appear to allow air flow to the "dusty" side of the filter.

However, these ports are fitted with rubber flapper valves that close on suction from within the housing. ie. When the engine is running. Now some people are taking one if not both of these valves out claiming that they are starving air-flow to their engine but surely these are fitted for a reason and working on a '"if it ain't broke, dont fix it" principle should they be leaving well alone????

Is there a likelihood of misfire?

I suggest that if the engine is starved of air, then the filter should be changed!

Hi

I am conviced that this filter and housing was sourced by Barrus in this country and not supplied by Yanmar.

It is part of the conversion to a marine engine. As is the twin stat casting, the second alternator, water cooling to the gearbox and the exhaust cooler.

These rubber flap valves are fitted cars and lorry's to allow any water (Rain) sucked into the filter to drain away. They are not needed in this type of instation.

I have also wondered whether the size of the inlet hole into the housing is big enough for a 2lr engine and I have removed my flap valve.

I have found that when running without the filter the engine smokes much less - I suspect it may be running to rich with this filter.

The filter element is available from Unipart - Fram No - CA9591

Also ...... First Fuel filter No - GFE 5370 (The second fine filter only seems to be available from Barrus probably a Yanmar part) ...... Oil filter - GFE 276/489)

Alex

Gibbo

To add to this comment the element is a tight fit on the inlet manifold and nothing can bypass it other than a hole through the element, the outer plastic surround provides protection for the paper element and reduces intake noise.

hi there

i don't know if this is relevant, and please forgive my mechanical ignorance, but could it be that the filter is made to fit a number of different engines and that the blanked off covers are to cater for this? although why not just with a straightforward patch or blank i don't know.

anyway, interesting question.

cheers

nigel