BW office staff on a jolly caught on film!

Roger t' Bodger

Featured Posts

I have to report that today I have filmed evidence http://www.vimeo.com/6522492 that not only the poor Greenlife boat was yet again full of grinning people snatching rubbish with their grabit sticks but also Mr Potts, the BW boat was also in action at Belgrave on the Soar. I learnt from the chaps & chappesses in blue that they were usually to be found in the BW office but they were having a volunteer day so were spending it, pulling pennywort from the navigation on a lovely day. Nice work when you can get it!

Ah yes! vote for the Greenlife Boat, only 3 more days to go so make your vote count!

http://cashback.cjsonline,gov.uk/

I have to report that today I have filmed evidence http://www.vimeo.com/6522492 that not only the poor Greenlife boat was yet again full of grinning people snatching rubbish with their grabit sticks but also Mr Potts, the BW boat was also in action at Belgrave on the Soar. I learnt from the chaps & chappesses in blue that they were usually to be found in the BW office but they were having a volunteer day so were spending it, pulling pennywort from the navigation on a lovely day. Nice work when you can get it!

Ah yes! vote for the Greenlife Boat, only 3 more days to go so make your vote count!

http://cashback.cjsonline,gov.uk/

I thought they were spraying it to kill it off, that is what the sign just up from Redhill said.

This is what I was told but since the river was picked clean by Greenlife earlier today there wasn't much else for them to do.

The day had been arranged by the Riverside Ranger manager Adrian where a environmental clean up day, with dozens of volunteers, were almost terraforming a large area of meadow to making it physically and visually more accessable. The short speeded up clip at the end shows them like jungle ants stripping a forest. BW came along, tentatively trying out the idea of volunteers help by using their own staff as it was easier to arrange, I suppose. EA tried to come along too but couldn't get it organised in time but they are seriously looking at the volunteer idea too.

The forum does seem to have quite a number of people who due to their vast knowledge of canals think they can brow beat others less well endowed with rivets.... Saddies

The music isn't Cheech & Chong! Its the Mexican Institute of Sound having a fun time on their Soy Sauce album - it's a noisy and varied collection but I chose the track for its familiar tune but unconventional delivery and laid back style.

Now vote again:- http://cashback.cjsonline,gov.uk/

The forum does seem to have quite a number of people who due to their vast knowledge of canals think they can brow beat others less well endowed with rivets.... Saddies

The music isn't Cheech & Chong! Its the Mexican Institute of Sound having a fun time on their Soy Sauce album - it's a noisy and varied collection but I chose the track for its familiar tune but unconventional delivery and laid back style.

You corrupted your link Roger, an erroneous comma!

here it is again..

http://cashback.cjsonline.gov.uk/

am I missing something, ....maybe being thick here but what is wrong with the office staff doing some outdoor cleaning up - sorry could not use headphones or work colleagues would think I was skiving ??

Here at the University we often leave the office and go off and man a stall, run fete's for local kids, hand out free coffee - etc , no one has to be chained to their desk - and what is so wrong with a day out.

am I missing something, ....maybe being thick here but what is wrong with the office staff doing some outdoor cleaning up - sorry could not use headphones or work colleagues would think I was skiving ??

Just thinking the same.

There are times I feel sorry for BW. Damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

I would have thought that getting people away from their desks and actually interacting with what they're custodians of can only be a good thing, surely?

Here at the University we often leave the office and go off and man a stall, run fete's for local kids, hand out free coffee - etc , no one has to be chained to their desk - and what is so wrong with a day out.

Just thinking the same.

There are times I feel sorry for BW. Damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

I would have thought that getting people away from their desks and actually interacting with what they're custodians of can only be a good thing, surely?

Totally agree..

Good sentiments and I totally agree that people should be free to volunteer and contribute to society in other ways besides being a wage slave. I put my hand up to a contentious title to get views and posts for a good cause. There is a constant flow of BW bashing threads so it is easy to get a rise out of the forum with a title like that!

The BW crew, aboard their Mr Potts were all great folk - it was just that they haven't as yet got the H&S and volunteering structure set up outside of their organisation up and running. So it is good they could see the Greenlife Boat in action and how simple it all was to achieve and all the goodwill that it engenders.

You corrupted your link Roger, an erroneous comma!

here it is again..

http://cashback.cjsonline.gov.uk/

Thankee kindly sirr!

What is a jolly? Not quite a Busman's Holiday but something slightly more taxing mentally and physically than a normal day off. Before the days of the Industrial Revolution and the useful implimenting of the 'Christian Work Ethic' to keep our noses to the grindstone, people just did the stuff they needed to do before just hanging out enjoying themselves. Since most of what they needed to do took about 80 hours a week they probably needed a rest but all they did was to survive so it was quite straight forward pychologically. Pulling weed out of a canal puts us back in that frame of mind, back in the midst of nature. So it's really good that there is the facility within our society for this to happen for the lucky few....

My next push is to get people to recognise that swimming in the river Soar is ok, it is not illegal as supposed, no-one can stop you or arrest you. Then more people will wake up to the leisure and exercise possibilities that sit on their doorsteps for free and also chorine free too!

Once I could swim up and down effortlessly but now even a bath is uncomfortable on the breathing stakes - but I watch these lads tombstoning off the 12 arch viaduct (Echo Bridge) on You Tube and you see them living their lives to the full with simple pleasure of dropping down 30 feet into 4 metres of water. All the council can say is it's dangerous and the Railtrack should improve security to stop it and the youngsters can injure themselves and most importantly all catch Weils disease and die.

When Captain Webb swam the English Channel in Victorian times, all the lads wanted to be the next Captain Webb and so they swam the length of Leicester river on endurance swims. The problem was that they didn't have and didn't see a need for cossies so there were complaints from the moral boat women and so the navigation and old Soar was littered with signs saying 'DANGER NO SWIMMING'.

More later....

What is a jolly?

An outing, on which you enjoy yourself. Sometimes associated with outings at the tax payers expense in which case it becomes a derogatory term. 'Jolly boat' was a small boat kept aboard ship that was often used to take off to the pub if not tied to a quay. They all came back pretty 'jolly'.

Dangerous to swim in the Soar? You could drown swimming the Channel just as easily as in the Soar, but more chance of being impaled on a shipping trolley in the latter. Some kids see others jumping in where the swimmers may know it is deep and safe. Said kids then have a go elsewhere in shallow rubbish strewn waters thinking all is well. They cannot see what is underneath the surface. Perhaps they just want to get their names in the paper.

Derek

What is a jolly? Not quite a Busman's Holiday but something slightly more taxing mentally and physically than a normal day off. Before the days of the Industrial Revolution and the useful implimenting of the 'Christian Work Ethic' to keep our noses to the grindstone, people just did the stuff they needed to do before just hanging out enjoying themselves. Since most of what they needed to do took about 80 hours a week they probably needed a rest but all they did was to survive so it was quite straight forward pychologically. Pulling weed out of a canal puts us back in that frame of mind, back in the midst of nature. So it's really good that there is the facility within our society for this to happen for the lucky few....

My next push is to get people to recognise that swimming in the river Soar is ok, it is not illegal as supposed, no-one can stop you or arrest you. Then more people will wake up to the leisure and exercise possibilities that sit on their doorsteps for free and also chorine free too!

Once I could swim up and down effortlessly but now even a bath is uncomfortable on the breathing stakes - but I watch these lads tombstoning off the 12 arch viaduct (Echo Bridge) on You Tube and you see them living their lives to the full with simple pleasure of dropping down 30 feet into 4 metres of water. All the council can say is it's dangerous and the Railtrack should improve security to stop it and the youngsters can injure themselves and most importantly all catch Weils disease and die.

When Captain Webb swam the English Channel in Victorian times, all the lads wanted to be the next Captain Webb and so they swam the length of Leicester river on endurance swims. The problem was that they didn't have and didn't see a need for cossies so there were complaints from the moral boat women and so the navigation and old Soar was littered with signs saying 'DANGER NO SWIMMING'.

More later....

It is a criminal offence to swim in any British Waterways River or Canal Navigation with a £100 fine.Citizens arrest powers exist, or hide their clothes.The punishment used to be transportation to Australia!

Yes, I liked the music and it was driving me daft trying to place it; finally realised it was Bitter Sweet Symphony.