Car in Birmingham and Worcester canal

welshmike

Featured Posts

Car missed the bend, going straight through the style, instead of over the bridge at Brinklow Boats, going down Smeaton Lane towards the B4455 here:

clicky

It ended up almost clearing the first boat and straddling the second.

I forget which boats they were (not wooden) but I imagine the few visible rivets will be recognisable to someone.

Iirc it was a young couple (not joy riders) who were very shook up but otherwise unharmed.

It happened a few months ago and I forgot all about it until having a Photobucket clearout. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it.

Jim, of Rose Narrowboats, took the photos.

This happened at the beginning of March.

I had a phone call from Anthony of Rose NB at about 10.30 at night to say that a car had come through the fence at the yard and had landed on top of a boat. He understood that the driver had legged it.

Rex and I went over immediately, worrying about what we would find, injury, damage, insurance claims, etc., and were amazed at what we saw.

The car had cleared the towpath and both boats, but had hit the wall behind the second boat and had come to rest on the roof.

The driver and passengers were shaken but ok, and had stepped out of the car onto the roof of the boat. If the boats had not been there the car would have ended up in the canal under the bridge.

Both boats were new, being fitted out and were nearly finished. The only damage was a scuff on the handrail and a dented mushroom vent ( directly beneath the car) on the second boat. There was no damage at all to the first boat, but it did have some interesting tyre marks up the cabin side. And of course we lost the fence and style completely.

I did hear the driver telling a Policewoman that he didn't know what had happened, he wasn't speeding, he was only doing 30 mph !

The car was recovered the same night by a recovery truck with a hiab.

to be honest im suprised we done see more cars in the cut.

there are plenty of other places to dump a car in the cut, and nobody would notice, on a chavs night out what fun...

On the subject of vehicles and rubbish dumped in the cut we spotted this hazard to navigation on our last trip on the Staffs and Worcs! :lol:

img1221.jpg