33hp or 42hp Vetus?

GillWednesday

Featured Posts

I've been told by one builder that i should upgrade to a 42hp, I know for a fact that he is making no extra revenue from the more expensive engine, so I don't believe he has any ulterior motive, but others say you don't need to upgrade to the bigger engine untill you reach a 60'er. :lol: Can anyone speak from experience?

I've been told by one builder that i should upgrade to a 42hp, I know for a fact that he is making no extra revenue from the more expensive engine, so I don't believe he has any ulterior motive, but others say you don't need to upgrade to the bigger engine untill you reach a 60'er. :lol: Can anyone speak from experience?

If you ever plan to go onto a river the 42 would be much better.

If it were me I'd go for the 42.

Tony :lol:

You don't need more than 10 hp to propel a narrow boat along a canal. To generate all the electrics at the same time add another 4 hp. For river work, 20 hp is useful but its probably cheaper to buy a new 35 hp engine. To upgrade to 42 hp, you will have dual use from the boat. 50 ton cargo and water skiing.

Do what is the cheapest option but remember that the larger the engine, the more fuel it needs.

Based on recent discussion on here, if you catch up somebody intent on enjoying a really leisurely pace, and have a large engine, you'll probably be in and out of neutral trying not to run them down. :lol:

Personally I think most engines fitted these days are too big, (and we don't hang about - 30HP - 50 foot).

I'm not sure that Yoda is really right on the fuel thing though. There seems to be remarkably little penalty when cruising from fitting an over-sized engine, and running it more gently.

We have a vetus M4.15 in a 58' boat, and have never felt short of power.

In fact, when we had Mr Jinks built (2005), that sort of power was pretty much standard.

It is only more recently that a couple of builders started fitting 42hp engines in 58' boats, and advertising it as a "feature", so everybody else followed suit.

So, in my view, no you don't need the 42hp engine.

A lot depends on where you are going to cruise. If you will be mainly on rivers the larger engine will be more at home, if only on canals the smaller engine will suffice.

Even on rivers the 33hp should suffice.

If you are concerned that the alternators could apply excess load on river sections, it may be wise to fit a cut-out switch on the charge controller.

If you are concerned that the alternators could apply excess load on river sections, it may be wise to fit a cut-out switch on the charge controller.

That's the arrangement I have: 18HP engine, 60' NB and charge-controller cut-out switch. Works fine for everything except racing PaddingtonBear down the forty-foot..........

MP.

I find a 35hp Isuzu more than adequate in my 51 footer. If you do decide to change you need to check that your prop will still be the appropriate size to match a more powerful engine.

Jim

It is nice to have a bit of extra power to help with some of the trickier moments though. West Stockwith lock springs to mind as one manouvre that requires some extra power.

You already have loads of spare power with a 33

I guess it depends a lot on the hull.

Wot ever is only 34 ft but she's far from fair at the bow and with the 22hp Vetus M3.10 that's fitted I wouldn't feel at all confident about taking her onto a fast flowing river. Possibly a better designed hull would move through the water much faster with the same engine.

Tony

I find a 35hp Isuzu more than adequate in my 51 footer. If you do decide to change you need to check that your prop will still be the appropriate size to match a more powerful engine.

Jim

The higher powered engine should have a larger prop or it would be totally meaningless to have a larger powered engine.

As this is a new build, The prop, gearbox ratio and engine would be rematched against the revised engine power.

Edited by Proper Job

Cutting out the charge controller will make no difference if batts are low and alternator is on full output. Controller only cuts in when absorption stage is reached.

Another point, f you decide to go for the 417, YOU WILL NEED A BIGGER SKIN TANK than the 415. I know of two that have gone for this very upgrade,yet the builder did not increase the skin tank area. Very bad.

Another point, f you decide to go for the 417, YOU WILL NEED A BIGGER SKIN TANK than the 415. I know of two that have gone for this very upgrade,yet the builder did not increase the skin tank area. Very bad.

Unlees of course the existing skin tanks were oversized in the first place :lol:

Cutting out the charge controller will make no difference if batts are low and alternator is on full output. Controller only cuts in when absorption stage is reached.

It does if you have a machine sense alternator, battery sense charge controller and split-charge diodes. I wonder if I can persuade Gibbo that diodes can be useful in some circumstances, after all?

MP.