Bicycle Seats....The Hobson Easyseat

Featured Posts

... gimmick really .... try somewhere like wiggle.co.uk for a wide range of bicycle bits including saddles. I've done a fair bit of cycling and comfort in the saddle area is as much about position on the bike and level of fitness as it is about choice of saddle. Looking for an "armchair" saddle won't resolve discomfort or make the pedalling any easier. Might be worth going to a local proper bicycle shop (umm probably not the big one that begins with "H") and get some advice on position ... things like handlebar height, stem length, crank length, frame size, as well as the saddle's height, level and front/back positioning will all combine for the overall comfort (or lack of it). Fingers crossed but I'm sure you'll get your seat sorted :lol:

Did it come from the same shop as 'snake oil'? For my money you cannot beat a good Brooks handmade leather saddle - still made in England and the best in the World.

Most problems with saddle discomfort are caused by poor adjustment (fore and aft, and angle as well as height) or poor riding technique.

Edited to acknowledge that another cycling Graham beat me to it . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick

I've not seen this particular product, but am highly cynical of it.

Bike saddles built wide are seldom good news, whatever you build, bike, riding preferences or style.

There is a huge market for gender specific saddles - not surprising really when you consider the differences in male and female antomy, and what you end up sitting on. :lol:

Anything described as "unisex" has to be a huge compromise that is neither correct for a male pelvis or for a female one.

It is however a complete ba**ard trying to find a good saddle, because you can seldom try them in the shops, and often the reality does not equal the advertising. I bought one from a recognised manufacturer at some cost, and it started off as bl**dy uncomfortable, and became even more uncomfortable over time. :lol: (Did the london to Brighton on it, and the saddle was harder work than the ride).

I don't know of anyone offering a "send it back if not satisfied" service, because usually by the time you know that it certianly would not be saleable to somebody else.

Sometimes a £10 discounted end of range item in a Halfrauds dump bin is a better bet than something costing over £50 - and it's certainly less to lose if it's not a success.

i have brooks leather saddles on all of my bikes, after the first 500 or so miles they are very comfortable if set up correctly, seem to last longer than any other saddles , if more comfort is needed one of the coil sprung brooks saddles is a good bet but not cheap!

Oh, that is, thanks.... I like the look of this one now and it has a 30 day trial.. http://www.comfortsaddle.com/index.cfm

Ive tried a few different saddles and changed positions of the seat back and forth and so on but since Im a sit up style cyclist with a skinny posterior I end up with a 'numb bum' every time. I know that hornless seat are allegedly not good for the keen biker and its tricky to steer without one but according to all the blurb one adjusts over time. I didn't want to pay over £50 and discover Im not adjustable!...

So at least the comfort seat isn't too pricey to try, if I get it and try it are you interested in knowing the result?

Edited by Tanis

• 4 weeks later...

saddles are like shoes, we're all a bit different. It is a case of trying them out (not easy to do). the other option is somehting like a Brooks saddle, (as alan finsher suggested) which will mould to fit you...eventually (like breaking in a pair of shoes - they are normally uncomfortable to start with and improve)

They also need more care than other types of saddle. but nothing too onerous.

For ladies (my wife tetifies in this) the saddles with the centre cut outs can help prevent bruising. Slightly wider saddles for ladies wider pelvis, narrower for the blokes. A lot of people like the saddles with the Gel inserts (I don't like them myself).

I would say a cheap(er) saddle is likely to be as comfortable as more expensive one (its more to do with longivity and quality and style - like shoes, you can buy £10 shoes that a comfy, for a while).

That's my ten penneth worth anyway...

:lol:

the other option is somehting like a Brooks saddle, (as alan finsher suggested) which will mould to fit you...eventually (like breaking in a pair of shoes - they are normally uncomfortable to start with and improve)

'Twas not me!

Graham, ('Alnwick'), is the man generally trying to get us all onto good old fashioned British products, and, not unsurprisingly, he advised the Brooks.

I've had 'em in the past, (on good old fashioned drop handlebar 'racing' bikes), but no longer own one, and do not think I could any longer suffer the pain that goes with the breaking in period! :lol:

That said, some of the new "comfort" saddles are even harsher on those bits you would rather not have harshly treated....

• 1 month later...

This reminds me of Three Men on the Bummel.

I said "...There may be a better land where bicycle saddles are made out of rainbow, stuffed with cloud; in this world the simplest thing is to get used to something hard. There was that saddle you bought in Birmingham; it was divided in the middle, and looked like a pair of kidneys."

He said: "You mean that one constructed on anatomical principles."

"Very likely," I replied. "The box you bought it in had a picture on the cover, representing a sitting skeleton--or rather that part of a skeleton which does sit."

He said: "It was quite correct; it showed you the true position of the--"

I said: "We will not go into details; the picture always seemed to me indelicate."

It's still true, even now. Seriously, no one would put up with all the problems you get with Brooks saddles if they could be beaten. Just make sure you get the right width for your weight and the riding position your bike puts you in.

• 3 months later...