advice for painting our boat

angelanmark

Featured Posts

We are going to take our 70ft boat out of the water for painting(April) , it is in great need of paint on all of the horizontal surfaces and the well deck. The sides are dull but not showing signs of rust. (it is an ex black prince and I would like to chage its apperance, and get rid of the stickers).

Should I just paint the roof and decks, or will I regret it and wish that I had painted it all. We want to do it ourselves and would be interested to hear form anybody who has done a DIY job themselves. I do think that paint is really to protect from rust, but would like a 'good enough' finish.

If you can help with any advice as to what to use for preperation, what paint, also how long does it usually last before it needs to be repainted (if you take 'reasonalbe care of it). Also how do you seal the windows once they have been removed?

I know there must be some of you that have painted your own boat (we cant afford to pay for a good quality tradesman so we think that this way we will be sure that the preparation will be sound, which is the most important bit) so please help with advice.

Thanks

Angela

We are going to take our 70ft boat out of the water for painting(April) , it is in great need of paint on all of the horizontal surfaces and the well deck. The sides are dull but not showing signs of rust. (it is an ex black prince and I would like to chage its apperance, and get rid of the stickers).

Should I just paint the roof and decks, or will I regret it and wish that I had painted it all. We want to do it ourselves and would be interested to hear form anybody who has done a DIY job themselves. I do think that paint is really to protect from rust, but would like a 'good enough' finish.

If you can help with any advice as to what to use for preperation, what paint, also how long does it usually last before it needs to be repainted (if you take 'reasonalbe care of it). Also how do you seal the windows once they have been removed?

I know there must be some of you that have painted your own boat (we cant afford to pay for a good quality tradesman so we think that this way we will be sure that the preparation will be sound, which is the most important bit) so please help with advice.

Thanks

Angela

If you PM me with a postal address I`ll send you an audio cd ( it`s free) with lots of advice on it - 57 minutes worth in fact. It is , obviously , a Craftmaster thing - but the information will be equally valid whatever paint you use.

Phil

Hello fellow ex-Black Prince owner! This is nowt to do with painting particularly, but you might be itnerested in thsi site:

http://www.blackprinceowners.org.uk/

:lol:

Just so you know, apart from the contact one, none of the links on your website work in firefox. (version 3.0)

Just so you know, apart from the contact one, none of the links on your website work in firefox. (version 3.0)

Hi thanks i found the Black prince website very interesting. Did you re paint your boat? blue string pudding(did uncle bulgaria help?, or is that a clanger?)

Angela

Edited by angelanmark

If you PM me with a postal address I`ll send you an audio cd ( it`s free) with lots of advice on it - 57 minutes worth in fact. It is , obviously , a Craftmaster thing - but the information will be equally valid whatever paint you use.

Phil

As Phil is understandably cautious about plugging his own products I'll do it for him. I've used Craftmaster paints and they are excellent. The service and back-up is good too. If you are going to DIY the labour part of the job then spend your money sensibly on good paint and materials and remember that thorough preparation is very important to get a good end result.

No connection to Craftmaster except as a satisfied customer etc.

Roger

As Phil is understandably cautious about plugging his own products I'll do it for him. I've used Craftmaster paints and they are excellent. The service and back-up is good too. If you are going to DIY the labour part of the job then spend your money sensibly on good paint and materials and remember that thorough preparation is very important to get a good end result.

No connection to Craftmaster except as a satisfied customer etc.

Roger

Certainly the free, gratis and for nothing advice he hands out on the forum is beyond the call of duty and extremely valuable.

PC

It does say:

The website is best viewed & navigated using Internet Explorer

ps. Your Firefox needs an update we are now on 3.5.2 but the site still does not link. :lol:

It does say:

ps. Your Firefox needs an update we are now on 3.5.2 but the site still does not link. :lol:

It means "The website can only be viewed and navigated using Internet Explorer". Doesn't work in Chrome either

Richard

It does say:

Oh, so that's ok then

I've got ie6 running under wine! :lol:

Yeah, I know. i've just not bothered cos I've had to do some testing in 3.0

I would like to thank Phil for his offer of a cd it was very nice of him, and I am sure it will be a great help. I am surprised though that no one has painted their own boat. hasn't anybody?

Or Safari. It used to. I was looking at it a few weeks ago and had no trouble.

I would like to thank Phil for his offer of a cd it was very nice of him, and I am sure it will be a great help. I am surprised though that no one has painted their own boat. hasn't anybody?

I've only painted my wide beam boat that I had in France. Finish wasn't an issue with that boat though. Most people thought it looked OK but, as a perfectionist, I wasn't so convinced :lol:

Roger

I have painted the hull in dry-dock. I have painted the engine bay when the engine was out.

Last year I painted the front and rear decks. (Chip off rust, paint with zinc based primer, topcoat with grey "boat" paint, finish with garage floor paint)

I'm working up the courage to paint the roof. :lol:

Richard

We are going to try to do ours when it comes out for blacking but we are unsure whether to erect some form of tent around it to protect it when we paint (after we have done the prep). The roof does not scare me as much as it is horizontal (as long as we can get the rust off under the hand rails) it is the sides they seem so big and full of windows.

angela

No, and I'm sure ours doesn't. It's just a very big roof and there's no power on our towpath side mooring.

Richard