Grit blasting.

Featured Posts

Does anyone know where you can get your hull grit blasted - preferably in the North West.

I've just noticed my blacking (Comastic) has gone brittle and can be peeled off in flakes on the waterline - not very happy really as the boat isn't 5 years old yet and has been blacked 3 times, the last time being 12 months ago.

The only thing I did differently last time was I used Vactan on some minor rusty areas. :lol:

I'm beginning to wonder whether bitumen would be better given that I never leave it that long.

Edited by david and julie

Does anyone know where you can get your hull grit blasted - preferably in the North West.

As you are probably aware, very few yards allow it due to the mess, but the dock at Middlewich used to a few years ago. Don't know if they still do.

George ex nb Alton retired

I had a Dickens of a job with Middlewich Narrowboats grit-blasting my boat's hull. They blasted large areas of the repainted cabin as well as the hull, and took me to court because I wouldn't pay the full amount. I offered to pay the full amount less the cost of repairing the damaged areas; they denied liability! End result; court found in my favour, everyone lost (except the lawyers). Could have done without that.

I've just noticed my blacking (Comastic) has gone brittle and can be peeled off in flakes on the waterline - not very happy really as the boat isn't 5 years old yet and has been blacked 3 times, the last time being 12 months ago.

The only thing I did differently last time was I used Vactan on some minor rusty areas. :lol:

I'm beginning to wonder whether bitumen would be better given that I never leave it that long.

Down the end of The Cannock extension, can't remember the yards name

Hi

The "down the end of...Cannock" is Norton Canes boatduilders...hardly close, and CTS next door can also handle the job. NCBB cover the cabin and seal off so that there's no damage to the paint job. Good luck with the search. PM me if you want contact Nos

Dave

Canal Cruising do it in Stone Staffordshire...

Regards

Arnot

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try Jalsea first(at some point I fancy going down the ship canal and I need the test for that anyway) if they can't help I'll try Middlewich.

Will keep the Midlands ones in mind in case I have no choice. :lol:

I know its a right sh**** job but you'd think someone in the Manchester area would do it. :lol:

Canal Cruising do it in Stone Staffordshire...

Regards

Arnot

Its looking good, each reply gets closer. :lol:

Edited by david and julie

Mayors yard seam to be doing well last time i visted.

- But all of the above are good places to, althought i would certainly make sure if you cabin is newly painted to insure it is protected. Somthing that you would expect to be done for you, but seamingly not always.

Daniel