Severn and Avon

Farey

Featured Posts

I'm planning going down the Avon and Severn to Sharpness next week. Does anyone know what the water levels are like, after the recent rain?

Also, I've never done the Severn below Tewkesbury before. Its tidal, but is there much tide to worry about? How does it compare to the Thames, Teddington - Limehouse?

Also, I've never done the Severn below Tewkesbury before. Its tidal, but is there much tide to worry about? How does it compare to the Thames, Teddington - Limehouse?

Severn bore rated as

3 (4.9 to 5m) on fri 24/07/09

2 (4.7 to 4.8m) on Sat 25/07/09

1 (4.4 to 4.6m) on Sun & Mon 26 and 27/07/09

I'm planning going down the Avon and Severn to Sharpness next week. Does anyone know what the water levels are like, after the recent rain?

It's only semi tidal at Gloucester and I've only noticed some affect when waiting to enter Gloucester lock just after the tide had breached the weir. So, in my experience, it doesn't compare at all to the Thames tideway. Sharpness to Bristol, now that's another story!

Keith.

We did this route in the opposite direction to you, i.e. Severn then Avon, going up the Avon. I thought the Severn was going to be my challenge, it was a mill pond compared to the Avon. Even though we had dropped lucky with a seven day window of dry weather, the Avon was still fast flowing from the preceeding weeks of rain. We just made Bideford on Avon as the river showed a significant rise in its level and started to flow over the towpath. We were there 2 days before the levels returned to somewhere near there "normal" levels.

Its a beautiful river, but be prepared to be pushed along at a great rate of knots as you exit the locks and catch the flow from the weirs.

We did this route in the opposite direction to you, i.e. Severn then Avon, going up the Avon. I thought the Severn was going to be my challenge, it was a mill pond compared to the Avon. Even though we had dropped lucky with a seven day window of dry weather, the Avon was still fast flowing from the preceeding weeks of rain. We just made Bideford on Avon as the river showed a significant rise in its level and started to flow over the towpath. We were there 2 days before the levels returned to somewhere near there "normal" levels.

Its a beautiful river, but be prepared to be pushed along at a great rate of knots as you exit the locks and catch the flow from the weirs.

Interesting (frightening) story of the Avon in flood here.

Tim

The Severn down to Gloucester is easy, though watch out for large craft in the East Channel between Gloucester Lock and the Upper Parting. You say you want to go to Sharpness. Is this by canal or river? If canal, then no probs.

If river, you may have problems crossing the weir at summer levels, even waiting for spring tides, and you would be entering the most difficult part of the river in terms of trees, room to manouevre etc. If you want to explore the *river* between Gloucester & Sharpness, I would advise taking the canal to Sharpness anyway and then coming back up the river, ideally returning the same way rather than risking crossing the weir unless you really know the depth you have and that it is clear of trees etc. Obviously, depth will be your main problem, coupled with the risk of being broadside to sandbanks with the tide pressing you (danger of rolling). From memory, the part just upstream of Newnham Quay is one of the most awkward, but do take a look at the sandbanks at low tide yourself, very close to the time of your journey (I have not done this trip for some years now). Local advice can be obtained from Lydney yacht club, and the owners of the few boats seen at Newnham. Having said all of that, it is a very beautiful and interesting part of the river, at least until you get near Gloucester. If you are going to do this trip, I'm sure you know this anyway - but have a big anchor at each end of the boat, ready for instant deployment: in many places you will not have room to swing to the bower which is why you need one at the stern too. Also, have a tender with you, and let the lockie at Sharpness know your intentions so he does not panic when he sees you going 'the wrong way' (and also note that this section of water is not covered by most inland insurers). All of the foregoing applies to the *river* route from Sharpness to Gloucester. If you are doing the usual thing and using the canal route, you don't need to worry about any of it.

Edited by Ewart Hodgson