cheshire narrowboats

umpire

Featured Posts

A more reasonable comparison would be with an estate agent and when did you last see one of them come round with the hoover and the windolene?

No, I wouldn't, but the Missus knows two estate agents who, in no uncertain terms have told potential clients to clean up the pigsty if they want a quick sale (Missus's words, not the agent).

So maybe its the owners / sellers who are to blame for the state of the boats for sale, not the brokers......?

I agree, but isn't there a knock-on effect to the broker if they get the reputation of having a load of neglected craft on their books ?

So maybe its the owners / sellers who are to blame for the state of the boats for sale, not the brokers......

If it isn't the Brokers fault why do the brokers with the best reputations have the best presented stock?

Do they send a cleaner round, to spruce them up (a sound investment, if they want the commission for a sale) or tell the owners they can't put their boat up for sale, without cleaning it up?

If I wanted to sell a boat I'd go to a broker who had the tidiest boats in his basin.

surely its a mutually beneficial situation and the broker has a vested interest in maintaining a clean boat whilst in their care, it can only be assumed that the fees charged allow for a high percentage of non sales and they are happy to catch the odd naive punter or get a well presented boat that sells itself quickly. Really the brokers are in a winwin situation they cant lose

i do feel for the brokers really i do i think its very hard to get out of your chair get a key from a hook grunt `over there` then manage to raise your arm and point in a direction you thought it was then all the effort needs a sit down again, then theres the effort of saying when you come back i dont think they will accept it ill ring them later and somehow forget to get back to you

Umpire, I think you've raised your finger unjustly. ABNB (ex - Andy Burnett's) who sold our last boat were the soul of efficiency and industry and, what's more, had the know-how to match customer to boat: the first person who viewed it bought it, and for almost the original asking price. I don't see us ever selling Trojan, but if we do it will probably be through them.

i do feel for the brokers really i do i think its very hard to get out of your chair get a key from a hook grunt `over there` then manage to raise your arm and point in a direction you thought it was then all the effort needs a sit down again, then theres the effort of saying when you come back i dont think they will accept it ill ring them later and somehow forget to get back to you

I'd prefer to look around a boat without a salesman present. I don't even like being approached in shops by a "Can I help you?" bod. I recently bought a car from a dealer who said "Its over there" "Here are the keys - have a look around and if you're interested I'll get the trade plates and you can take it for a run" . I didn't feel at all pressured and took my time looking it over, took it out for a test wthout the salesman and returned to negotiate a deal. That is the way I like to do things.