GOBA Forum. Are you having messages pulled?

Biggles

Featured Posts

Shouldn't this be dicussed on the GOBA forum?

The slagging off of a closed forum, and it's rules, on an open forum seems a little unfair.

If the owner of a forum chooses to make ridiculous rules then people will leave that forum and go somewhere more to their taste.

It is, however, the prerogative of the forum owner, to run it how he wishes.

The forum is owned by its members.

OK hows this........... A post will be pulled if it is not "interesting"

Just one example.

And yes it should be discussed on that forum but if the mods don't like the message it gets pulled so discussion is being somewhat censored.

Edited by Biggles

GOBA Forum - "Most users ever online was 8 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:06 am"

Are you serious ?

What did they do; ban somebody because they had two members online at the same time ?? :lol:

No they haven't thought of that rule yet :lol:

Actually a forum is owned by the person who pays the hosting fees.

The members are guests on that forum and are allowed to post subject to his or her jurisdiction.

If you feel that the treatment received on that forum is unfair, then either use another forum, contact the senior

moderators/admin and protest or e-mail the owner directly if you know who they are and protest.

Shouldn't this be dicussed on the GOBA forum?

The slagging off of a closed forum, and it's rules, on an open forum seems a little unfair.

If the owner of a forum chooses to make ridiculous rules then people will leave that forum and go somewhere more to their taste.

It is, however, the prerogative of the forum owner, to run it how he wishes.

Its not a closed forum............. Yet. How did you get to that conclusion? but if the mods carry on it will be, cos no one will bother going there.

As far as I know the forum is owned by the members of GOBA, or is in trust for the members. Either way it is a members forum so maybe the link I posted will not work for non members. By members I mean members of GOBA not the forum as you can join the forum without being a GOBA member

I originally joined GOBA for the moorings they have. Since then I have moved but am still close and will go back to "their waters". In the meantime I am happy to pay membership to keep the funds going into an organisation I think generally does good work.

What I object to is the nanny state they (being some members of the committee) want to enforce on the forum.

It is a struggling forum with regard to active members, and to over moderate it would simply kill it.

My efforts are not denigrate the forum mods, quite the opposite. I want them to re-evaluate moderation rules. I know for sure one of the mods is a member here, and hope he can learn how to moderate, or how do deal with offenders, not but making sweeping rule changes that severely limit topics, banter or OT posts, or things they are just not happy with.

I want the forum to live and grow, but the new rules are likely to kill it dead.

I got a board warning for using the 'word' bl....

Biggles, come and join us on the tupperware forum, Like this one we allow all types of boats!

I am setting up an Ouse thread there

I did not think that you could join the forum without being a GOBA member which is why we are known as a number!

Its not a closed forum............. Yet. How did you get to that conclusion? but if the mods carry on it will be, cos no one will bother going there.

I get to that conclusion because you have to be a member of GOBA to join the forum.

I can't just log in. to see what you're talking about, therefore it is closed, to me.

I believe strongly that people shouldn't slag off other forums (this one comes in for a lot of stick, elsewhere) and, if you've got a complaint, air it on the relevant forum or pm the site owner.

What I object to is the nanny state they (being some members of the committee) want to enforce on the forum.

It isn't a "state", it's someone's private webspace.

If you come into my house and act, in my opinion, inappropriately, I will ask you to leave.

My house isn't a "nanny state" it's just where I make the rules.

I get to that conclusion because you have to be a member of GOBA to join the forum.

I can't just log in. to see what you're talking about, therefore it is closed, to me.

I believe strongly that people shouldn't slag off other forums (this one comes in for a lot of stick, elsewhere) and, if you've got a complaint, air it on the relevant forum or pm the site owner.

It isn't a "state", it's someone's private webspace.

If you come into my house and act, in my opinion, inappropriately, I will ask you to leave.

My house isn't a "nanny state" it's just where I make the rules.

I thought you meant closed as in finished. I see what you mean. That in its self say something. Most forums are open to browse even if you are not a member.

However that simply reinforces the argument about its permitted content. GOBA is a members club, for the members by the members. Ergo the forum is not an individuals "property" (private web space) so to speak.

It seems from the general opinion of the few that post there that the rules are OTT.

The purpose of posting here is to bypass the mods on the GOBA forum to reach other GOBA members to canvas opinion.

If the owners of this forum are happy for another forum to be discussed, and members want to discuss it, then I can see no problem. As with any topic, no one is obliged to jopin in. As a former GOBA member I would be very interested to hear just what people are being banned and warned for. It might be useful for me in deciding whether to renew my membership, to be able to judge what sort of people I would be consorting with.

The members are guests on that forum and are allowed to post subject to his or her jurisdiction.

If you feel that the treatment received on that forum is unfair, then either use another forum, contact the senior

moderators/admin and protest or e-mail the owner directly if you know who they are and protest.

hello and excuse my ignorance and inexperience but how does a forum like this survive financially

Let me try and explain what is behind the start of this thread.

I found this on a site opened by a GOBA breakaway group last year, apparently they got so much stick from the committee they gave it up, or so I'm told

Oh well, It's October the 2nd and it looks like the new GOBA Forum has been pulled?? There was a little animosity between some of the old and new forum members, in as much as some of the old die hard members thought they could bully a newer member by criticizing her & others comments, just because they were lighthearted and slightly off topic. There was an excellent response from her and it was suggested that the forum was unwelcoming and unfriendly,a view that I have to agree with. But it seems that somebody at the top didn't like it as the forum has been closed. Perhaps there is room for a breakaway forum, where people can debate, that doesn't get shut down at the slightest sign of a disagreement.

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 02, 2008

guess who was being talked about!

Nobody has posted anything that would upset. If we had then there would be cause for upset. We were told we could not mention any other river but the Ouse as someone dared to mention a four letter word (Nene)!

A post was also deleted that just contained 2 smileys and we had to fight to get those and avatars

The forum was not closed for the reasons stated above but for a technical problem involving the GOBA site too, the whole lot was down.

The forum is also owned by the members for the members not to cater for one person who moderates.

I know moderation is a thankless task (I do it) but no one has posted anything that needed to be removed. As I stated earlier up this thread, I got a 'board warning' by pm to say I had transgressed the rules just after Christmas as I dared to say that the river was frozen and the weather was bl.... cold.

Edited by Carol Whale

This is the anouncement of the "New Rules" that has spawned all the fuss.

On 26 of June I posted a polite moderation note, repeated below:

“Could I just remind all posters of some of the forum rules:

Any Current member may put a message on the forum as long as it is:

- Not offensive

- Not siting named persons so as to offend, slander or libel

- Interesting

All messages are automatically emailed to a member of the committee for vetting and will be removed from the forum if they do not comply with the above.

Messages will be removed periodically unless they are clearly still valid.

Let’s try to say positive things rather than denigrate GOBA, the EA or fellow boaters PLEASE.”

Rather sadly we don’t seem to be able to follow these simple rules.So, whether you like it or not, any posting which is out of context, not Ouse related, is designed to be hurtful, is a flippant ‘back answer’, denigrates GOBA the EA or other river users, makes spurious reference to ‘authority’, contains inappropriate language and more, ..... yes, I suspect you’ve got it .... will be summarily deleted.

This forum is for everybody to enjoy and use effectively without being offended or left with the feeling that, as a member put it to me “It’s a pure waste of time and does GOBA no good what so ever”.

Use it properly or lose it.

As can bee seen IMO the moderator seems to have no real idea of how a forum works.

No one is going to argue about the bad things that get said in froums like bad language, libellous matter, personal attacks etc.

The new rules we are being moderated under I am sure will soon include poor spelling. Its getting that stupid. And as for the requirement for it to be interesting. How does that work? Show me a definition of that.

Edited by Biggles

Well, I don't think I could be bothered with such control freaks. It does make one appreciate this forum where the moderation is nearly always reasonable, proportionate and transparent. Also I can't see that a forum with only one topic of conversation would be interesting for long.

Quite well actually.

Usually, the owner either pays for the hosting out of his/her pocket.

The costs generally can range, but aren't usually exorbitant.

Some forums run adverts to pay for the hosting fees and some sell the personal details of all of its members to

the highest bidder :lol:

hello and excuse my ignorance and inexperience but how does a forum like this survive financially