List of approximate annual costs for Living Aboard

Chagall

Featured Posts

£187.20 (where did that 20p come from!) fuel cost is too low for that lot even if no cruising is done.

Well the OP did say minimal cruising - I would hate to admit what we waste spend on fuel a year . . .

Insurance...... average fully comprehensive, boat and contents ...average (£500)

I think that £500 for Insurance seems high. I paid £130 for a 50ft boat with Craftinsure.

I think that £500 for Insurance seems high. I paid £130 for a 50ft boat with Craftinsure.

Maybe when the OP has acquired some 'no claims bonus' it will come down but the days of low insurance quotes for new customers have gone . . .

Maybe when the OP has acquired some 'no claims bonus' it will come down but the days of low insurance quotes for new customers have gone . . .

Hi

That was just my second year. First year with Collidge was £200 and their second year renewal quote the same level. Marina based maybe makes a difference?

Geoff

This thread is amazing! First someone uses the term "spare money" which boggles my mind, now there is an implication that an insurance quote will actually go down from one year to the next. I've gone through a wormhole in space, can someone send me back, please?

I've gone through a wormhole in space

Have you found all the odd socks and biros?

Hi

That was just my second year. First year with Collidge was £200 and their second year renewal quote the same level. Marina based maybe makes a difference?

Geoff

Our experience was identical Geoff. Maybe marina based DOES make a difference?

Have you found all the odd socks and biros?

Our experience was identical Geoff. Maybe marina based DOES make a difference?

About £200 first year and the same for renewal, in a marina. But that is not liveaboard. Liveaboard may make a difference.

MP.

Tanis, your oh bugger fund isnt very big. £300 wont go very far if you have a big item that breaks/fails.

Yep, I see that point, thanks. I guess its another piece of string thing, an Oh B****r fund cant possibly second guess disaster so how about I leave the high insurance quote and then that covers any excess on the disaster....?

I was really thinking that this spreadsheet of costs is very broad so that folk can then use it for themselves and work it up or down depending on their own circumstances, age of boat, area of the UK, etc..etc....

I personally just needed an annual budget that was at least realistic, and after applying the swings and roundabout theory might give me an overall accurate forecast.

as for the total...I daren't add it all up yet...I was waiting till all the best answers came in and to see if I've forgotten anything important and then Ill tot it up after arming myself with a stiff G&T first! :lol:

This thread is amazing! First someone uses the term "spare money" which boggles my mind, now there is an implication that an insurance quote will actually go down from one year to the next. I've gone through a wormhole in space, can someone send me back, please?

What is quite clear is that we all see things rather differently - probably one of the things that helps to make boating so diverse. And, yes our insurance did go down after the first year but we are still paying around £350 per annum - I guess the premium is based on the value of the boat and its contents.

Or perhaps it is based on how much water it draws :lol:

mmmmmm death doom and gloom then, i live in a house and the gas, electic, water and rates come to three times that its a expensive as you make it if you maintain on the go i reckon its a hell of a lot cheaper to live afloat and also you get the benefit of doing it. moan and groan is wat i hear all the time give it a go im going to

If you really must have moorings then the price you have is about right for a marina based mooring outside of London.

my insurance has cost me around £200 each year. thats on a 57' narrowboat.

my licence this year was roughly £650

if I charge my batteries, each hour of charging is approximately £1, thats fuel and servicing on a beta marine engine or with a small petrol generator. to plug into shore power will give a different cost depending on the marina.

coal can be a bag or more a week in winter. if you use taybright then this can work out at £20 + per week

I blacked my boat this year, diy dry docking, it cost around £400. but in a posh marina it cost me closer to £1000. shop around for the best prices.

all the other costs look about right,

I tried to do a budget before living aboard, but it wasnt really necessary, life aboard is as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

there are expensive and cheap alternatives for everything!

Thanks, I didn't say that I want to skimp on anything, Im just looking for realistic advice on costs so I will add your £3,000 a year as the maintenance costs.

so now I have...

Mooring, average (£2.500)

Licence 60' is (£676)

Diesel.............. minimal cruising but enough to run a fridge, washer, dryer tv, computer etc... ??

Gas 4 bottles a year at £30 .... (£120)

Logs/Coal.......... £40 a month winter so six months is £240, round up to (£300) for a year

Insurance...... average fully comprehensive, boat and contents ...average (£500)

Maintenance ..........what to save for usual maintenance.....(£3.000)

Batteries 4 batteries every 4 years ...(£84)

Blacking £500 every two years so save (£250) a year

Oh B*****r Fund..what to save each year for emergencies...??

Boat Safety Cert ...£200 every 4 years so save (£50) for that.

Sani Stations costs....cassette system so no pump out but do they charge for water etc...??

Okay here is the list with most of everybody's additions and corrections. Ive upped the 'minimal cruising' a bit just to cover those that will chugg off the mooring more than I might so Ive rounded it £250. The mooring cost is highish but Ive included things like Log storage lockers etc

Licence 60' is (£676)

Diesel.............. minimal cruising but enough to run a fridge, washer, dryer tv, computer etc...(£250)

Logs/Coal.......... £40 a month winter so six months is £240, round up to (£300) for a year

Maintenance ..........what to save for usual maintenance.....(£2.000)

Repainting ......every 7 years or so save (£800) a year

Oh B*****r Fund..what to save each year for emergencies...(£300)

Sani Stations costs....cassette system so no pump out.....

and the TOTAL is.....£7,830........up to date today 20th July 2009

Ouch!......pretty close to 'Bottle's £5000 since that didn't include mooring costs, but at least I have my nice neat obsessional spreadsheet.

Thank you.

Okay here is the list with most of everybody's additions and corrections. Ive upped the 'minimal cruising' a bit just to cover those that will chugg off the mooring more than I might so Ive rounded it £250. The mooring cost is highish but Ive included things like Log storage lockers etc

Licence 60' is (£676)

Diesel.............. minimal cruising but enough to run a fridge, washer, dryer tv, computer etc...(£250)

Sani Stations costs....cassette system so no pump out.....

and the TOTAL is.....£7,830........up to date today 20th July 2009

Ouch!......pretty close to 'Bottle's £5000 since that didn't include mooring costs, but at least I have my nice neat obsessional spreadsheet.

Thank you.

I would say that the mooring costs may be a bit low depending on where you will be moored. I am moored in the Bath/Bristol area I pay £330 a month for a mooring. Add to that the costs of electric for a hookup - standing charge etc - and the cost would be somewhat higher but then your diesel costs would be lower as you would not have to do the engine run for charging so often.

I know it sounds petty but using a cassette toilet doesn't mean it is free. You need to buy the odd bottle of chemicals to treat the loo unless you want to put up with the smell or empty it every day! I would put down about £24 a year for chemicals.

Kentboy

Edited by Kentboycamper2

I would say that the mooring costs may be a bit low depending on where you will be moored.

I figured Id leave the mooring cost at the price, its a charge that can only be definite when folk find a mooring but for now its an approximate....

I know it sounds petty but using a cassette toilet doesn't mean it is free. You need to buy the odd bottle of chemicals to treat the loo unless you want to put up with the smell or empty it every day! I would put down about £24 a year for chemicals.

not petty but still a useful comment...I shall add it to the list....

Many thanks...

updated today 21st July 2009

Licence 60' is (£676)

Sanitation costs....cassette system...chemicals etc ...(£24)

New Grand Total ..... £7,854

I did the same when I bought my boat and I had a spreadsheet with about fifty lines on it. I always erred on the high side with figures so I was pleasantly surprised when I got the correct figures.

I have done the same as you and put in monthly savings for blacking, bss etc etc so I don't get too many nasty surprises.

Its not been cheaper than living in a house but the quality of life we enjoy on our boat makes it worth it, :lol:

Kentboy

I think you are in the right area with most of your costs. What I found was the unexpected 'oh b****r' costs that came in, and are still coming in far higher than I ever anticipated. Its a very steep learning curve.

Every situation is different of course but maybe this will give you a flavour of the types of things that you could need to do. Very much depends on the age and quality of the boat and whether you do it yourself or have professionals.

My situation was a boat that was 10 years old, bought 18 months ago, 1600 engine hours, Evans shell, decent mid range fit out.

Since then I have had the following, a ) essential maintenance b ) upgrade and improvement and c ) still to do:

a )

Replace Water Pump (self)

£120

Replace Drive Plate (the only thing recommended by the surveyor!)

£ 200

New Alternator and Adjusters

Alteration of charging wiring and alternator controllers (first attempt...)

Service of Eberspacher Diesel Heater

£1200

Repack Stern Gland

£ 100

Routine Service x2

£300

Rub down, rust treat and paint decks, roof and gas locker (self)

£ 120

b )

Install Galvanic Isolator

£ 150

Install Smartgauge/Smartbank

to replace alternator controllers/wiring (second attempt)

(I also replaced all batteries at this point)

Add an Automatic Bilge Pump

Correct Hull Earth Bonding

£700

Replace broken fridge

£130

Repair ageing cratch cover seams and zips

£ 100

c )

Vent PRV to outside rather than bilge

Change Gas regulator

Add security straps for gas bottles

Replace worn centre ropes and add cleats

Repair weather damage on wooden cratch

Est £ 400

Remember to add around £600 for a survey in the first years cost! Against my costs I did get a complete refund of the survey fee.

I think the above is fairly typical when you buy a used boat and those are the sort of items that I identified as maintenance and non-recurring costs. Nevertheless, I think the spreadsheet figures compiled by 'Tanis' now seem fairly realistic. Regarding the comment on 'toilet blue' it isn't an essential item and I would put that in the same category as cleaning materials - i.e. a domestic expense.

Edited by NB Alnwick

I think you are in the right area with most of your costs. What I found was the unexpected 'oh b****r' costs that came in, and are still coming in far higher than I ever anticipated. Its a very steep learning curve.

Every situation is different of course but maybe this will give you a flavour of the types of things that you could need to do. Very much depends on the age and quality of the boat and whether you do it yourself or have professionals.

My situation was a boat that was 10 years old, bought 18 months ago, 1600 engine hours, Evans shell, decent mid range fit out.

Since then I have had the following, a ) essential maintenance b ) upgrade and improvement and c ) still to do:

a )

Replace Water Pump (self)

£120

Replace Drive Plate (the only thing recommended by the surveyor!)

£ 200

New Alternator and Adjusters

Alteration of charging wiring and alternator controllers (first attempt...)

Service of Eberspacher Diesel Heater

£1200

Repack Stern Gland

£ 100

Routine Service x2

£300

Rub down, rust treat and paint decks, roof and gas locker (self)

£ 120

b )

Install Galvanic Isolator

£ 150

Install Smartgauge/Smartbank

to replace alternator controllers/wiring (second attempt)

(I also replaced all batteries at this point)

Add an Automatic Bilge Pump

Correct Hull Earth Bonding

£700

Replace broken fridge

£130

Repair ageing cratch cover seams and zips

£ 100

c )

Vent PRV to outside rather than bilge

Change Gas regulator

Add security straps for gas bottles

Replace worn centre ropes and add cleats

Repair weather damage on wooden cratch

Est £ 400

Remember to add around £600 for a survey in the first years cost! Against my costs I did get a complete refund of the survey fee.

Thanks, NB Alnwick originally suggested £3,000 annually for maintenance which is probably more in line with your findings. I maybe should have added a header that this spreadsheet is for a new build, but certainly I will come in for heavier maintenance costs as the years goes by, so Im just going to save straight away for that eventuality and hopefully I can build up a pot that I will have to try not to touch....a very difficult thing for me, all my pockets have scorch holes!

Once folk have pretty much agreed with the cost analysis then I will do another final draft and add the header that its based on a new boat so that those folk buying second hand can scroll or toil for all the extra costs......it took me a while to compile this spreadsheet so Im not doing another for 2nd hand boats :lol:

Thanks again for all the continuing replies, its improved all my previous cross referencing tremendously.... I was nearly drowning in canal equations...a very choppy stretch of water!

Repack Stern Gland

£ 100

I think Geoff's list is a very good example of the kind of costs (expected and unexpected) that can arise.

Clearly his is for a used rather than a new boat, but it does show how people can get caught out.

The problem though, in trying to come up with generalised answers, is that the degree to which you handle things yourself, or need to employ others comes in to play very heavily.

Assuming "repack stern gland" means just what it says, my number would be £5 or less, not £100, and that demonstrates the problem.

I'm wondering if that is a typo now, (or if it involved more than that) - surely no engineer would add £95 for labour for a stern gland repack ?

Assuming "repack stern gland" means just what it says, my number would be £5 or less, not £100, and that demonstrates the problem.

I'm wondering if that is a typo now, (or if it involved more than that) - surely no engineer would add £95 for labour for a stern gland repack ?

Unfortunately is was. Including travel time. I was green and my bilge was filling up with water very quickly and Id never seen a stern gland. Turns out that I now know it is the PRV venting out.

The problem though, in trying to come up with generalised answers, is that the degree to which you handle things yourself, or need to employ others comes in to play very heavily.

I agree but I thought it might be useful for someone to see the types of things that can happen. Obviously this should not be the same for a new boat. And as time goes on you can hopefully learn to diagnose better yourself and decide more on the things that can be done yourself, as well as knowing what a 'professional' should charge. Thats what I have learnt and done.