BW Livery

Liam

Featured Posts

Hi,

Does anybody have a close up shot of the name of "British Waterways" on the back cabin of a boat?

I've spotted some on the Middle Northwich Sickle website but ideally I'm after a close up shot, showing the shading and the type of lettering used.

Thanks

Thanks Graham, but not exactly a clear close up :lol:

.... the resoluton's not too bad, if you save a copy locally, you can zoom in and there's a fair bit of detail ... but hopefully someone else will have a better piccy

Edited by Graham!

Hi Tim,

Trying to figure out the colour scheme for Ariel. Won't be for a few months yet though.

George,

Would that be Dave who now owns a 'modern' boat with a JP2 who used to moor at Broken Cross by any chance?

Hi Tim,

Trying to figure out the colour scheme for Ariel. Won't be for a few months yet though.

George,

Would that be Dave who now owns a 'modern' boat with a JP2 who used to moor at Broken Cross by any chance?

Not that I know of. Dave Hilton owned Pegasus and the Bridgewater tug copy Frodsham. I haven't seen or heard of him for some time and I think he may be "on the bank" completely.

George ex nb Alton retired

Cheers Matt :lol:

That's spot on. Thanks.

This is all very interesting since I lettered both Pegasus ( a long time ago ! ) and Sickle ! I have a tracing of the original - which incidentally was a transfer cut in two between British and Waterways. However - relied on memory when I did Sickle and got the legs of the "r" a bit wrong. The capitals are 6" tall and the rest is 5". The boat name and fleet number should be 4" . Colours are Golden Yellow , a mixed green and black. Between us in recent years my mate Ian Kemp and myself have done an awful lot of replica BW signwriting ! Cassiopea , Scorpio , Malus , Atlas, Greenock, Badsey,Birmingham,Beulieau,Bordersley, Crux, the little BW tug that I keep forgetting about and quite a few others .

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

This is all very interesting since I lettered both Pegasus ( a long time ago ! ) and Sickle ! I have a tracing of the original - which incidentally was a transfer cut in two between British and Waterways. However - relied on memory when I did Sickle and got the legs of the "r" a bit wrong. The capitals are 6" tall and the rest is 5". The boat name and fleet number should be 4" . Colours are Golden Yellow , a mixed green and black. Between us in recent years my mate Ian Kemp and myself have done an awful lot of replica BW signwriting ! Cassiopea , Scorpio , Malus , Atlas, Greenock, Badsey,Birmingham,Beulieau,Bordersley, Crux, the little BW tug that I keep forgetting about and quite a few others .

Phil

Do you still do lettering? I will need some done on my boat.

Anyone know what the butty is?

The butty is Bullfinch. ex Tradline Fenders, Braunston. Believe the intention was to run no. 69 and the butty as trippers on the Thames, but as you can see, nothing ever came of it.

No. 69 looked splendid when it lay under the shed at Knighton under the Hilton's command

Regards,

Edited by Hyperion 53

Read Phils list,all that blue and yellow and I moor next to 2 of them.Now you know why Halsall is green so I go home to the right boat after a few scoops!

Being serious now Liam,Phil and Ian have done a lot of work on getting that livery right so thats the standard to aim for with Ariel.

Why is Halsall green,1 somebody gave me the paint,2 its easy to find in a crowd , 3 its easy to find in the dark its tha blackest bit!

Do you still do lettering? I will need some done on my boat.

Yes is the simple answer !

Cheers

Phil

Leo?

I came to the official handover ceremony at Dadfords.

That would be the one when the boat`s "official" history appeared to begin shortly before it arrived at the wharf. Ian lettered that one as a part of his extremely comprehensive restoration. Talented sod. He also does the most evocative canal based water colours if anyone is interested.

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

Don`t be silly - only the odd 98% or so was not original.......

Phenomenal job. A real silk purse from a sow's ear. My one gripe would have to be the modern 'house' type light switch in the back cabin. Had I no choice but to fit them I'd have at least hidden it behind the curtain.....

• 4 weeks later...
Phenomenal job. A real silk purse from a sow's ear. My one gripe would have to be the modern 'house' type light switch in the back cabin. Had I no choice but to fit them I'd have at least hidden it behind the curtain.....

You never slept in Leo, I got it to myself after my infamous "bi-curious" ploy. :lol: The 'T' stud's original (allegedly) :lol: That switch is useless, the battery was always flat!