Crew needed

Lee J

Featured Posts

All,

Anyone fancy a trip from W.Stockwith to Clayworth on Saturday. All my friends and family have deserted me and I'm still not that confident to single hand her.

You'd probably be able to teach me a thing or two about this narrowboating game as well!

Lee

All,

Anyone fancy a trip from W.Stockwith to Clayworth on Saturday. All my friends and family have deserted me and I'm still not that confident to single hand her.

You'd probably be able to teach me a thing or two about this narrowboating game as well!

Lee

Go on, you can do it. Put it this way, one day you will have to do it. Weather should be very good.

Where is Clayworth?

All,

Lee

Lee

Really sorry I can't help - we're at a wedding in Gloucester this weekend.

We're moored at Clayworth so normally it wouldn't have been a problem.

Perhaps another time.

Chris

Go on, you can do it. Put it this way, one day you will have to do it. Weather should be very good.

Where is Clayworth?

Tend to agree. Whats the worse that can happen?

Get some practice in whilst the weather is nice.

Clayworth is 6hours up the chesterfield (where west stockwith is the bottom, where it joins with the trent)

I would love to do it, but have a BBQ and my own birthday to attend on saturday. So my suggestion is also to have a go at moving it yourself.

Dont do anything stupid, and dont rush about, but as the others have said the weather should be nice and as long as you take it slowly there is very little that can go wrong.

- The weed might slow you a little depending what its like down there, but the locks are relatively small a fall and very controlable from what i saw of them even if they are wide locks. (down to clayworth from worksop)

You might also find somone else on the move, who you can lock with.

Daniel

I'm not particularly worried about the journey, but I would prefer to do my first single hand trip with somebody with a little more experience!

I am entirely self taught and I'm sure I'm missing tips and tricks which seem obvious once told, so boating with somebody who can pass on a bit of knowledge should never be refused. For example someone told me the other day about only opening the opposite paddle when locking upwards keeps the boat pinned to the wall, there must be a hundred more little tips and tricks.

I am planning a boat handling course at some point, but probably not until my summer holidays, I am pretty good at actually driving the boat, many years of salty boating has seen to that, but canals and their strange machinery are still a bit of a mystery.

Lee

I'm not particularly worried about the journey, but I would prefer to do my first single hand trip with somebody with a little more experience!

If that's not a contradiction in terms!

If you end up doing it on your own Lee, just take everything very slowly and you'll be ok.

Be sure not to let passersby distract you at locks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am entirely self taught and I'm sure I'm missing tips and tricks which seem obvious once told, so boating with somebody who can pass on a bit of knowledge should never be refused. For example someone told me the other day about only opening the opposite paddle when locking upwards keeps the boat pinned to the wall, there must be a hundred more little tips and tricks.

I am planning a boat handling course at some point, but probably not until my summer holidays, I am pretty good at actually driving the boat, many years of salty boating has seen to that, but canals and their strange machinery are still a bit of a mystery.

Lee

Lee, we find that opening the paddle on the same side as the boat keeps it to the lock wall, we just had a very annoying "heplful boater" open the oppsite paddle before we could do anything and believe me it whacked the boat across the lock (front end) so don't be affraid of telling people to leave it to you. most experienced people are intelligent enough to ask if you are ready before they do anything - but watch out for the "plonker"!

Guzziman

I did manage the trip entirely successfully and really enjoyed it, thanks for the paddle tip Guzzi, I'd sussed that myself.

Made a right mess of parking when I got back to Stockwith though.

Lee

Made a right mess of parking when I got back to Stockwith though.

I only do that when the marina is full of gongoozlers. When I do it inch perfect there's never a soul around :lol: