'Alnwick' aground on the River Trent

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

aground1.jpg

Well here we are on the tidal River Trent at 'Plum Bank' near the village of South Clifton between Cromwell Lock and Torksey!

aground2.jpg

Now we are quite used to hitting the bottom on the Oxford Canal but this is something else! And, as we went aground on an Ebb Tide, we are now well out of the water . . .

aground3.jpg

Well here we are on the tidal River Trent at 'Plum Bank' near the village of South Clifton between Cromwell Lock and Torksey!

Is it going to be a middle-of-the-night job to catch the next tide and get off? At least the sun is shining!

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

Try and profit by the experience......

Do you have any blacking on board ?

EDIT:

Damn - pipped at the post by Tim, again!

Edited by alan_fincher

You look fairly straight and level on that mudbank, but I bet it feels like a 45 degree list!

That is what is so odd - we are fairly level now that the water level has dropped a bit. I can get a boat pole under the stern - so I reckon that it is just the front two thirds of the boat sitting on the gravel.

Do you have enough beer to survive until the next tide?

Victuals came aboard at Newark! And it is a lovely day for a sunbathe and a paddle!

Time to get the bitumastic paint out!

Tim

Pity - don't have any aboard but as the prop is now half out of the water, I did get out and clear the debris off! Found a nice racing bike tyre, in bright green with white sidewalls, among the usual plastic bags and bits of rope - sadly it was somewhat shredded!

oh goodie! That has cheered me up... what a hoot!!!! Is that a shark swimming around your ankles?

No sharks but lots of interesting shells to collect - its just like being at the seaside with you own personal bar on the beach!

Now where is Phylis when you need her . . .

You told Torksey you are going to be late?

BW are aware and we have VHF. A big graveller went past a while ago - he was edging his way upstream very slowly so I guess the water levels are lower than usual.

We shall make the best of it and enjoy the sun and sand . . .

how long before you float off?

By my calculations (always fallable!) we should get our highest water level sometime between six and six-thirty this evening - if we don't float off then it will be tomorrow morning!

By my calculations (always fallable!) we should get our highest water level sometime between six and six-thirty this evening - if we don't float off then it will be tomorrow morning!

Remember to drop your anchor before you go to bed