Peterbrough? How safe are the moorings?

Biggles

Featured Posts

Well, its a City. You might be okay - you might not.

Personally, we stopped there briefly to use the shops, etc, but wouldn't stay there overnight.

Lot of strange characters hanging around, but you might be okay.

We always stop at the 'seaward' end (sorry, I'm not very good at describing places) Imagine if you turn right rather than left coming from Stanground. So that's either at the far extent of or beyond the moorings where the pumpout, water point etc are. Never had any trouble from people there, although it is quite fun when the jet skiers go past. Easy to turn there to get pointing the right way again when you want to leave. Also don't leave without using the pumpout (if you are suitably equipped). It is a very good one and free.

I stayed in Peterbrough on the moorings against the public park many time in the 1990s without incident - leaving the boat unattended. I suppose it may have changed since then, but in my experience fear of populated areas is grossly exaggerated. We were frequently warned about avoiding Birmingham or Manchester - usually by boat owners who had never actually been there by boat. :lol:

Edited by Dominic M

similar experience as others never had a problem at peterborough or wellingborough leaving the boat for a week at each in fact the only places I personally have had problems was at Newark (they like to set you adrift) but a strong chain fitted loosely to the center of the boat solved that problem, above fishery lock on GU similar stupid sods and Long Buckby boat broken into on leicester section morrings (by our old friend!!!) moored in Brum, Wolverhampton, Runcorn and Manchester with no problems.

We moored there twice last year on our trip up the Nene and Great Ouse. We found the moorings quiet, safe, and conveniently close to the city centre. They are surrounded by a park with no obvious attractions for ne'er-do-wells. There is also a facilities block with water, rubbish point, and free pump-out.

The Italian restaurant in the theatre by the start of the mooring is very good.

The moorings (concrete edge, rings) stretch for perhaps a mile (from memory) and so if you are worried you can stay out in the wilds, but really this isnt necessary.

I saw at least 5 narrowboats moored up there over the weekend,Asda is very close to the riverbank.For fuel and water you can pop into Peterborough Yacht Club,it is on the left about 300 meters after the Lock at Orton.There are a couple of safe moorings at Overton Lake,this is the first lake as you come into ferry meadows,the public moorings are on the left as you enter the lake,watch your depth if you go to the far side of the island in Overton Lake,best to stay on the side of the moorings

we commute from the waterfront to the boat house at thorpe over the annual beer festival weekend, very good moorings there.

i was told today that some livaboards in a narrowboat are hogging the mooring at the boat house

I saw at least 5 narrowboats moored up there over the weekend,Asda is very close to the riverbank.For fuel and water you can pop into Peterborough Yacht Club,it is on the left about 300 meters after the Lock at Orton.There are a couple of safe moorings at Overton Lake,this is the first lake as you come into ferry meadows,the public moorings are on the left as you enter the lake,watch your depth if you go to the far side of the island in Overton Lake,best to stay on the side of the moorings

i was told today that some livaboards in a narrowboat are hogging the mooring at the boat house

I went for a drink at the Boat House last week and there were no narrowboats around at all, so they may have left.

(I make a point of wondering down to the canal to look for any boats, disappointed this time!)

similar experience as others never had a problem at peterborough or wellingborough leaving the boat for a week at each in fact the only places I personally have had problems was at Newark (they like to set you adrift) but a strong chain fitted loosely to the center of the boat solved that problem, above fishery lock on GU similar stupid sods and Long Buckby boat broken into on leicester section morrings (by our old friend!!!) moored in Brum, Wolverhampton, Runcorn and Manchester with no problems.

And yet we have spent two very peaceful days and nights moored under the castle next to the park in Newark with no problems at all. Mind you we did use plenty of ropes tied off to the boat. You get people walking past asking questions but no one tampered with any of the boats moored up. We were a little concerned about the beer festival in the park but our worries were unfounded.