Seats for the bow

becks101

Featured Posts

Hello,

Second query of the day! We have a Liverpool Boats narrowboat, and it currently has no seats in the bow, which is starting to get on my nerves, both for the lack of storage and the difficulty in getting in and out (especially as you have to duck under the cratch cover at the same time as getting over the bow sides).

Preferred option: can anyone suggest where we might be able to get some seats made and fitted?

Alternative option: Hubbie says he can do it, but I think it will take him months to get round to it! :lol: If he does though, what should he make them out of? I thought the same thing as the engine bay cover - Hexagrip - would that be sensible?

Thanks very much

I thought the same thing as the engine bay cover - Hexagrip - would that be sensible?

That's what I did. Made lockers with glossy side out on the front and side panels, then painted so looks same as rest of well deck. Then made lids with grippy side up so as not to skid when stepping aboard.

Don't forget drain holes to let out any water that finds its way in, and don't block existing scuppers for the well.

david

Can it be singular? (pedant alert, btw)

Well Wiki thinks so but what do they know?

"The bow (pronounced /ˈbaʊ/, rhymes with how) is a nautical term that refers to the forward part of the hull of a ship or boat, "

"The bow (pronounced /ˈbaʊ/, rhymes with how) is a nautical term that refers to the forward part of the hull of a ship or boat, "

Everyone else agrees, it would seem (doesn't look right, though)

At the moment I have the BT battery locker on one side and a big old aluminium chest used to store kindling on the other side that I use as steps, but I was thinking of making benches from garden decking, probably without vertical sides (front)..

Is there any reason (besides an assault on anyones personal taste) why this wouldnt be suitable?

Edited by blackrose

At the moment I have the BT battery locker on one side and a big old aluminium chest used to store kindling on the other side that I use as steps, but I was thinking of making benches from garden decking, probably without vertical sides (front)..

Is there any reason (besides an assault on anyones personal taste) why this wouldnt be suitable?

We have quite a large decked area outside the backdoor at home and I've lost count of the times i've ended up on my a*** when its damp. :lol: Luckily, I've not suffered more than a few bruises, but If this happened when using it as a step on a boat then slipping would be much more of an issue.

I recently noticed some decking outside a pub which was much more suitable because it had a non slip material set into a machined groove - similar to this one.

http://www.qualitydecking.co.uk/anti_slip_...ant_decking.php

Yes,

I've used some conventional garden decking, acquired for nowt, to make a gang plank that can fold along it's length - narrow to stow, but wide in use - seemed a good idea at the time.

Despite it's fluted surface, it seems pretty "skiddy", and I think it needs something non-slip stuck to it to make it safe on damp and wet days.

The wooden pontoons at our mooring are lethal, except where people have tacked chicken wire over them.

Yes,

I've used some conventional garden decking, acquired for nowt, to make a gang plank that can fold along it's length - narrow to stow, but wide in use - seemed a good idea at the time.

Despite it's fluted surface, it seems pretty "skiddy", and I think it needs something non-slip stuck to it to make it safe on damp and wet days.

The wooden pontoons at our mooring are lethal, except where people have tacked chicken wire over them.

That's true - the wooden pontoons at my mooring can be very slippery when wet - I think its due to a layer of algae that grows on them.

So if I used decking it would have to be painted with non-slip paint.

That's true - the wooden pontoons at my mooring can be very slippery when wet - I think its due to a layer of algae that grows on them.

So if I used decking it would have to be painted with non-slip paint.

That would be a bit scratchy on your bot if you sat on them in summer!

Richard

Bare bots in summer? :lol:

Sue

I'll retreat to a position of "that will be scratchy on your legs if you are wearing shorts"

Richard

Better than bare bots in winter...

That would be a bit scratchy on your bot if you sat on them in summer!

Not as bad as Alan's chicken wire on the pontoon though! I have sat on that for long periods whilst touching in the gouge marks in our gunwhales, and it really works it's way thru' even my old jeans.

David

This being the point I suspect PB was making...