A Ropey Issue !

Featured Posts

I want to replace all the ropes on a narrowboat as they are well past their best days.

In your experiences which types of ropes make the most serviceable and what diameter should the bow, centre and stern ropes be. The boat is 50 foot.

There seems to be a big difference in prices too!

Thank you.

You want them thick enough to be comfortable to heave on. Not too stretchy or they will no surge around bollards very well.

Do not be mean with the length, especially the centre line. I have seen lots of hire boats with centre lines so short that they cannot get in the prop. If they are as short as this they are too short to be useful. I would guess that our centre line is about 50ft long and good and heavy so that you can throw it a long way in high winds. When we were on the K&A in March 2008 the river was high and so were the winds. With a long centre line you can drop a clove hitch over a bollard and motor the boat alongside with it. Even against a strong offshore wind that your crew can't counter.

When Theodora was bought she was fitted with climbing ropes. They were awful! Too thin and too stretchy.

Nick

Edited by Theo

With a long centre line you can drop a clove hitch over a bollard and motor the boat alongside with it. Even against a strong offshore wind that your crew can't counter.

Aaaaaghhhh! The problem with clove hitches once they've pulled tight with the weight of a heavy boat is that the only way to get them off is to go and fetch the carving knife. I know there have been earlier threads on this, but it's obviously worth repeating that a boatman's/lighterman's/tug hitch is as quick and easy to drop on, but has the merit that it can be undone against any pressure equally easily.

More nearly on-topic, stretchy nylon stuff is a definite no-no. On our (75dwt) barge we use 3-strand Nelson spun polypropylene, which can stand a lot of abuse, is strong for its size, does not suffer badly from ultra-violet light, and floats.

If you can find enough friends who also want new line, the best place to get various lines is probably Chatham Ropemakers in the old dockyard near Rochester. They supply many of the other retail suppliers. They do sell in shorter lengths, but their standard is a 220m coil, hence the need for a group purchase. The ropewalk is well worth a visit if you are nearby.

(edited for Chatham comment)

Edited by Tam & Di

Aaaaaghhhh! The problem with clove hitches once they've pulled tight with the weight of a heavy boat is that the only way to get them off is to go and fetch the carving knife. I know there have been earlier threads on this, but it's obviously worth repeating that a boatman's/lighterman's/tug hitch is as quick and easy to drop on, but has the merit that it can be undone against any pressure equally easily.

More nearly on-topic, stretchy nylon stuff is a definite no-no. On our (75dwt) barge we use 3-strand Nelson spun polypropylene, which can stand a lot of abuse, is strong for its size, does not suffer badly from ultra-violet light, and floats.

If you can find enough friends who also want new line, the best place to get various lines is probably Chatham Ropemakers in the old dockyard near Rochester. They supply many of the other retail suppliers. They do sell in shorter lengths, but their standard is a 220m coil, hence the need for a group purchase. The ropewalk is well worth a visit if you are nearby.

(edited for Chatham comment)

ok tam. i would agree about the clove hitch crit. it's just that it seems a bit quicker than the boatman's.

nick

And sometimes if they don't jam solid, they will slip. :lol:

That said, our current centre lines are a rather poor choice of a fairly shiny nylon, maybe around 14mm. On a bad day this stuff will sometimes slip on a bollard whilst tying temporarily with a boatman's hitch, unless you put at least 3 full hitches on. Not recommended, and I long to replace with something slightly heavier, and less slippy. Unfortunately it's proving quite hard wearing, and I'm too tight to throw otherwise OK rope away.

Hi

This is another of those personal issues and my views must be taken as that. I've long favoured cotton line for handling, but its attractive pristine whiteness is soon lost. I keep a length of it on the cabin top as a centre line (probably about 35' of 18mm stuff). I've taken to using "hardy hemp" (14mmdiameter)for mooring lines. Most chandlers seem to have it, looks like brown cotton line, splices fairly well and is durable and hardwearing. Though a synthetic it looks and feels like real rope. Length... on canals I see no need for over long lines. From stud or dolly to ring, bollard, spike or chain, couple of turns, back to stud or dolly and tie off with a boatman's hitch. Any spare is coiled neatly but I rarely have more than a few feet over.

Hope this helps

Dave

For those that will be asking the question!

Try this http://www.expertvillage.com/video/89744_k...lightermans.htm

Nipper

Just to confuse.....

But although there are similarities, that's definitely not what I know as a Boatman's hitch. :lol:

Just to confuse.....

But although there are similarities, that's definitely not what I know as a Boatman's hitch. :lol:

I'm so glad you have said that.

When i looked at that demonstration i thought i had been doing it wrong all these years.

Its a job to explain, but i have been taking the bite over the post a further time and around the line again!

Anyway, even that way is still far better than using a clovehitch :lol:

Nipper