broadband on the canal

jack.allen54

Featured Posts

hi,

my dad has a narrow boat and he has a computer and has asked me about getting the internet.

I have heard a few things regarding wifi in mariners etc but have searched the internet to try and help him out and haven't been able to find anything of any use. I dont have a lot of knowledge as to how it works as i don't require it myself.

They are on the kennet and avon canal is it possibe for them to get mobile internet there

if so how would they go about it

how affective is it

and what is the best way to go about it

any help or pointers anyone can give would be most appreciated

thank you

jack

You can get a USB modem dongle (payasyougo or contract) from any mobile provider to get internet in the boat. We have one that we use all over the uk system. Vodafone have the best coverage although i have heard that 3 are pretty good. Best to get a USB extension cable as well as modem works much better if you can put it in a window or on the roof etc.

Excellent spot!

I don't understand why, as an existing customer, they bombard me with Skype spam but haven't told me about this!

It's run by a company in Accrington called Micro-P (funnily enough, they're a supplier for the computer place I used to work at!!!), and is doing it on behalf of three, so I presume that unless you're a customer of Micro-P, you probably won't hear about such things... :lol:

That's all very well but it won't let me register - keep getting

"INSERT statement conflicted with TABLE CHECK constraint 'CHK_cstCorporate_coCorporateType_coCorporateSubType'. The conflict occurred in database 'MicroP', table 'cstCorporate'."

Any ideas?

That's all very well but it won't let me register - keep getting

"INSERT statement conflicted with TABLE CHECK constraint 'CHK_cstCorporate_coCorporateType_coCorporateSubType'. The conflict occurred in database 'MicroP', table 'cstCorporate'."

Any ideas?

That's strange. I just jumped through the hoops and it worked fine for me. Costs £4.95 for postage.

Richard

I tried and it went through first time with no hitches.

I'm no computer whizz kid either.

Lucky me.

Hope it's not a scam to get my £4.95. Maybe I'm being "dongled" ouch!!!

Martyn

Its not always Broadband. I am at the end of the Welford Arm, The dongle is 4.5 mt up the tv pole and I am dropping in and out of signal. Fast enough for e.mail but erustrating on the web

I tried and it went through first time with no hitches.

I'm no computer whizz kid either.

Lucky me.

Hope it's not a scam to get my £4.95. Maybe I'm being "dongled" ouch!!!

Martyn

Now to negotiate through what this means:

"Mobile broadband available to Pay As You Go customers who convert a Top-up to a broadband Add-on (Add-on valid for 30 days from activation) see three.co.uk"

What do I have to buy to use this free dongle?

Richard

Its not always Broadband. I am at the end of the Welford Arm, The dongle is 4.5 mt up the tv pole and I am dropping in and out of signal. Fast enough for e.mail but erustrating on the web

It works great when you're 10 miles of the Suffolk Coast, though.

Top up on a what?

Richard

You buy a top up, which activates the SIM, then once all the registration's done, you convert the top up balance to the mobile broadband packages then plug in your dongle and let it install the software, and you're done... :lol:

It is quite simple (have done it myself for mother's Three dongle)... :lol:

Is there a sim card, in it?

Yes, it comes in the box with the dongle... :lol:

You buy a top up, which activates the SIM, then once all the registration's done, you convert the top up balance to the mobile broadband packages then plug in your dongle and let it install the software, and you're done... :lol:

It is quite simple (have done it myself for mother's Three dongle)... :lol:

So there is a SIM with/in the dongle?

Richard

(this is sounding better)

Yes, there is, wouldn't be much good without one... :lol:

Some are sim-free.

I have a very favourable 3 broadband deal that I use with a phone, at the moment, but it would be nice to experiment with a dongle up the mast.