Chester to River Dee link

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Went for a walk down by Telfords warehouse and the basin in Chester yesterday while the car was getting MOT'd.

It got me thinking...... When are BW going to pull their finger out and reopen the link to the river? seems like years since the lok where working.

Also does anyone know what they are building on the patch of land between the locks by the river and 'the cop'.

Cheers Sven ;o)

Hi all,

Went for a walk down by Telfords warehouse and the basin in Chester yesterday while the car was getting MOT'd.

It got me thinking...... When are BW going to pull their finger out and reopen the link to the river? seems like years since the lok where working.

Also does anyone know what they are building on the patch of land between the locks by the river and 'the cop'.

Cheers Sven ;o)

It is years, we were there in 2007 and it had apparently been closed for more than a year then. As to info when it will reopen, sorry, I've no idea.

There's a nice crossover bridge down there too, haven't seen many of those.

The lockgates behind the drydock were ready to fall apart then, 2007, God knows what state they are in now!

Edited by johnjo

The lockgates behind the drydock were ready to fall apart then, 2007, God knows what state they are in now!

The bottom end was regated over the winter, 07 - 08.

More to the point, when are they going to reopen the drydock..... closed for health and safety reasons..... :lol:

What doesn't make sense to me is that not long before I left Chester.....5ish years ago......I lot of time and money had been spent excavating part of the old canal. To then let the lock and drydock fall into disrepair beggars belief. By the way does anyone know what is happening with the boatyard?

• 1 month later...
What doesn't make sense to me is that not long before I left Chester.....5ish years ago......I lot of time and money had been spent excavating part of the old canal. To then let the lock and drydock fall into disrepair beggars belief. By the way does anyone know what is happening with the boatyard?

hi with regards the boatyard it was called WILLIAMS boatyard but it has recently been put on the market to let.

hi with regards the boatyard it was called WILLIAMS boatyard but it has recently been put on the market to let.

It was called Taylor's boatyard, and Dave Jones was the boatbuilder there when I was in Chester. That was some time ago so it may have changed. There was an article by Tony Lewery in Canaljunction last year which I'm sure still calls it Taylor's.

It was called Taylor's boatyard, and Dave Jones was the boatbuilder there when I was in Chester. That was some time ago so it may have changed. There was an article by Tony Lewery in Canaljunction last year which I'm sure still calls it Taylor's.

sorry your right it's taylors i don't know what possesed me to put williams i only live 100 yards away :lol:

DSC00218.jpg

The Dry dock at the basin (is it still used?)

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

I guess not then!

DSC00222.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

The workshops, still seems to have things going on.

DSC00226.jpg

Interesting Plaque

DSC00227.jpg

Nice little bridge into another basin with building works that seem to have been going on for years!!!!

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

More Pictures To Follow ( When it will let me )

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

After all the work thats been done down in the old port and Earl's port seems a shame that there are no boats down here

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00237.jpg

I dont even think you'd get a boat in here now.... or if you did you would be roping it out.

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

Finally the link to the river.......... need i say more......

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00241.jpg

DSC00242.jpg

Not sure what BW are building here but hasnt changed in a few months.

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

Well thats the end of my little trip, if anyone can throw any light on any of it I'd be gratefull.

Having a bit of a nosey around the planning departments website today to see if I could shed some light on the above building works. All i could find was this........

Summary

Description: POST DN CORRESPONDENCE

Address: TILSTONS YARD, NEW CRANE STREET, CHESTER CH1

Application No: 03/562/FUL

Online Ref: 0

Date Opened: 20 May 2009

Seems whatever they have started building they haven't submitted any plans for yet.....

Just been looking around the web for more info on the above topic as one day I'd like to do this stretch. Managed to find this Clicky which must be about the last time it was done although I remember another boat doing it ( the 'Jubilee' possibly) and getting stuck on the weir?

Anyone shed any light?

• 3 weeks later...

As Neil says, the bottom was regated relatively recently. They took their time doing it too, though there was hardly a reason to rush...

It's a shame, as the dry dock, the old basin and the river link would be much brighter if they were tidied up and used regularly.

I drive over the bottom lock twice every weekday, and have done for a few years. I've never seen a boat in the earl's port section.

Interestingly there's no mention of any stoppages on waterscape for the river link, and the boaters guide simply says that they need 48 hours notice for using the lock.

The other day I did see what looked like a BW person gazing at the lock from the road, with lifejacket on and a handheld computer...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to respond to my own post...

I passed by here in the car yesterday, and there's a "To Let" sign outside Taylor's Boatyard.

The agent's website (http://www.bacommercial.com) has it listed as:

Address: Taylors Boatyard & Dry Dock, Upper Cambrian Road, CHESTER

Description: On instruction of British Waterways. A unique opportunity to secure historic canalside business premsies, including various covered areas and workshop buildings, including dry dock facility. (TJC)

Tenure: NL

Price/Rent: Offers invited.

Just been looking around the web for more info on the above topic as one day I'd like to do this stretch. Managed to find this Clicky which must be about the last time it was done

About 3 months later (July 2004), Ocean Princess came back in via the Dee Locks Branch on the way back from Scotland.

See photos towards the bottom of this linky.

Dscn5706.jpg

Some of the trip boats on the Dee used to go up to the dry dock for work to be carried out. I witnessed one coming back over the weir on a high tide. That was also in 2004 but I don't know whether any of them has made the journey since then.

Just to respond to my own post...

I passed by here in the car yesterday, and there's a "To Let" sign outside Taylor's Boatyard.

The agent's website (http://www.bacommercial.com) has it listed as:

Address: Taylors Boatyard & Dry Dock, Upper Cambrian Road, CHESTER

Description: On instruction of British Waterways. A unique opportunity to secure historic canalside business premsies, including various covered areas and workshop buildings, including dry dock facility. (TJC)

Tenure: NL

Price/Rent: Offers invited.

If only I could persuade Swmbo to leave this horrible little town....

If only I could persuade Swmbo to leave this horrible little town....

It would be nice to see it brought back to life. Currently it just appears empty and derelict. Filling the area with boats and industry would be wonderful.

It would be nice to see it brought back to life. Currently it just appears empty and derelict. Filling the area with boats and industry would be wonderful.

Unfortunately I'd want the yard to go back to building these again............

DSCF1842.jpg

...........so I don't think I'd be in business for very long. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

A little piece about the proposed future of the boatyard in Chester has appeared on Waterscape:

http://www.waterscape.com/features-and-art...-canal-boatyard

"Historic city waterway feature Taylor's Boatyard is looking to a bright new future under plans unveiled by its owners, British Waterways (BW).

BW is looking to partner the revival of the half acre site, located within Chester Canal Basin on the popular Shropshire Union Canal."

[snip]

"BW will ensure the site is sustainably restored, providing traditional boat craft and repair facilities on site. This will include provision of moorings adjacent to the premises and nearby on the canal."

• 1 year later...